PNG coaching search update

PNG1992

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**They announced at the school board meeting tonight there are 35 applicants that will be screened the week. They had 5 request to release the names and the Sup was discussing with the board if they had to release the names. They're also consulting attorneys to see if they are required to do so.**

More if we find out.

Beaumont Enterprise

Thirty-five apply for Port Neches-Groves position

By RYAN S. CLARK

January, 13, 2009

Port Neches-Groves ISD board members said they did not want to release names of the 35 applicants for high school football coach/boys athletic coordinator position despite a public records request made by The Enterprise and other media outlets.

Members revealed the number of applicants at a school board meeting Tuesday. The application deadline for the positions is Thursday.

PN-G ISD board president Randy Brittain said before the meeting he did not want to release the candidates' names because they might lose their job or possibly withdraw from the coaching search.

Brittain said a requirement that all applicants have a master's degree would not limit the number of qualified candidates, a concern he said many fans have.

Brittain said the master's requirement is common for all school administrators.

PN-G is among three Southeast Texas high schools that will hire a new football coach in the coming months. Memorial and Little Cypress-Mauriceville also have coaching vacancies, but neither requires applicants to have a master's.

Brittain said former coach Matt Burnett did not have a master's degree. Burnett coached at PN-G for 22 seasons, the last 15 as head coach. The PN-G board reassigned Burnett to outdoor athletic complex coordinator and student attendance officer on Nov. 25.

Burnett will remain as boys athletic coordinator until a new coach and athletic coordinator are hired.

Interviews for the positions run from Jan. 19 to Jan. 23, according to a timetable released by the PN-G ISD. The second round is Jan. 30 to Feb. 3. A candidate will be recommended to the board Feb. 10. The new coach/athletic director's first day is March 2, according to the schedule

PN-GISD vows to keep coach applicants secret

MIKE TOBIAS

The Port Arthur News

GROVES —

Mum’s the word -- as far as members of the Port Neches-Groves ISD Board of Trustees are concerned.

The board, minus Harvey Brown, who was in Houston preparing for a surgical procedure, voiced their opinions in favor of seeking a ruling from the State of Texas’ Attorney General’s office in an attempt to keep the names of the 30-plus applicants for the district’s athletic director and varsity head football coach under wraps.

Discussion to seek the ruling came while Superintendent Lani Randall was giving her report to the board Tuesday evening and stated that five Freedom of Information / open records requests from different entities had come in, wishing that the district release the applicants’ names.

“Sometimes its members of the media who issue the open records request, sometimes its private individuals,†Randall said, while addressing the board.

“This is always an area of concern for a school district regarding a high profile position. The only recourse a school district can have in this situation is to seek an opinion from the Attorney General’s office and talk about your specific local circumstances and see if you can get a ruling on that.â€

“Otherwise, if you chose not to do that, then you would be obligated to release that information.â€

Discussion then went around from each trustee, who offered their opinions on the matter, many in favor of seeking the ruling.

“This is a very important job and a very important process that we’re about to go through,†President Rusty Brittain said.

“I think it’s the district’s job, and our job, to get the best possible candidate for the head coach and athletic director for PN-G.â€

“The confidentiality, I belive, is very, very important to this process. I can understand the enthusiasm; I can understand the excitement --- the anticipation from the community. If that wasn’t there, then I think we’d have a problem. I appreciate it being there, but again I certainly would not want anything to happen to hinder the best candidate coming to this district.â€

Brittain went on to cite last Wednesday’s incident involving Boston College Head Coach Jeff Jagodzinski, who was fired after being warned by his athletic director that he would not have a job if he met with the New York Jets regarding their head coach opening.

“It’s very sensitive,†Brittain said.

“If there was an offensive or defensive coordinator at a school somewhere, wishing to advance their careers, that would be no problem. But if we had a coach at a very successful program somewhere, I would think that they would want it to be kept confidential until maybe the final interviews begin.â€

“I’m not sure of the law, but I would like to see us do whatever we have to do to get an opinion before we release those names.â€

Dr. Randall stressed that students are the district’s first priority and that the district wants to bring in an individual that is highly skilled and looking forward to coming to the community and being a key factor in the district’s athletic program.

“We understand that people have been talking about what would occur if we would immediately just release all those names,†Randall said. “They (the trustees) have that option of going to the attorney general and they would like to exercise that at this point in time.â€

“We are just getting all this paperwork together for these applicants. It has been an overwhelming task since Friday to come and get them all together, and categorize them and put it together so that the interview committee has it organized to go through it. It’s a lot of work.

The deadline to apply for the coaching position was last Friday, January 9. The interview committee will be meeting Wednesday to review the applications. The district hopes to make a recommendation to the board at the next scheduled meeting on February 10, with a preferred start date of March 2.

Coop, you still have that FOI request going, right?

Beaumont Enterprise

By RYAN S. CLARK

January, 13, 2009

Port Neches-Groves ISD board members said they did not want to release names of the 35 applicants for high school football coach/boys athletic coordinator position despite a public records request made by The Enterprise and other media outlets.

Members revealed the number of applicants at a school board meeting Tuesday. The application deadline for the positions is Thursday.

PN-G ISD board president Randy Brittain said before the meeting he did not want to release the candidates' names because they might lose their job or possibly withdraw from the coaching search.

Brittain said a requirement that all applicants have a master's degree would not limit the number of qualified candidates, a concern he said many fans have.

PN-G is among three Southeast Texas high schools that will hire a new football coach in the coming months. Memorial and Little Cypress-Mauriceville also have coaching vacancies, but neither requires applicants to have a master's.

Brittain said former coach Matt Burnett did not have a master's degree. Burnett coached at PN-G for 22 seasons, the last 15 as head coach. The PN-G board reassigned Burnett to outdoor athletic complex coordinator and student attendance officer on Nov. 25.

Burnett will remain as boys athletic coordinator until a new coach and athletic coordinator are hired.

Interviews for the positions run from Jan. 19 to Jan. 23, according to a timetable released by the PN-G ISD. The second round is Jan. 30 to Feb. 3. A candidate will be recommended to the board Feb. 10. The new coach/athletic director's first day is March 2, according to the schedule

Coop, you still that FOI request going, right?

Beaumont Enterprise

By RYAN S. CLARK

January, 13, 2009

I didn't file for this one this time. Other people have though.

Like i said a month ago masters dont mean crap

Like I said a month ago, it was December. What the heck does your hang up with the master's have to do with the board not wanting to release the list. Next time, just start your own thread if you need a "look at me" moment.

the natives are getting restless.  ;)

Like I said a month ago, it was December. What the heck does your hang up with the master's have to do with the board not wanting to release the list. Next time, just start your own thread if you need a "look at me" moment.

Not restless, just tired of hearing about the dang master's. While it frustrates me, I find it amusing that people that are not even PN-G fans or even live in the district feel the need to have such a passion about OUR coaching search. Their hatred / jealousy just oozes all over this board. Fact is, the next coach at PN-G is more likely than not going to have a master's degree due to PNGISD requiring it. All the bashing in the world is not going to change that.

The school board has control of this situation.  They set the standard and the rest of us will have to live with their decision.  We, the people, voted and put these folks in their positions, and with that vote, we placed our trust and confidence in them.  They will decide and with their decision, we will have to accept.  All the complaining, belly-aching, insults, whatever makes no difference:  the buck stops with the board. 

Not restless, just tired of hearing about the dang master's. While it frustrates me, I find it amusing that people that are not even PN-G fans or even live in the district feel the need to have such a passion about OUR coaching search. Their hatred / jealousy just oozes all over this board. Fact is, the next coach at PN-G is more likely than not going to have a master's degree due to PNGISD requiring it. All the bashing in the world is not going to change that.

wouldn't expect anything less from the folks on this board would you?  :)

OK...why, you ask, are they keeping it secret?  Because EVERY school district has their politics and if it is found out that a coach or other employee is looking for a job out of the district they currently work in, that person is put in an uncomfortable position.  And I'll bet that none of the applicants has told their supervisors that they have applied for this job.  How cool would that be to have your boss find out that you're applying for a job in the newspaper.  And before all you nay-sayers start talking about how they shouldn't apply for the job if they don't wnat their bosses to know, do YOU tell your boss everytime you apply for a new job?  I doubt you do.  These applicants need to know that their privacy is protected.  Good for the board for standing up to this freedom of information act request!  They will release the names of the people who go further in the process as they find it necessary.  And by then most of the applicants will have already talked to their supervisors.

Like stated before, we are so, so really jealous of your stellar football record this new century!  Heck, you guys couldn't even win a scrimmage this year against a 3A team (Jasper).  Come on, it's pretty simple and you demonstrate it so well >>>>  Arrogance gets riled up so easily.  Some of us like stirring the pot because many of the ultra-proud arrogant PNGers allow their emotions to be controlled by outsiders.  Thank you for giving us pot stirrers the power over your emotions.  ;D  We could really care less about your Purple Pride.

PNG PURPLE PRIDE POWER

Manchester+Pride+Parade+-+001.jpg

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats