PNG coaching search update

PNG1992

I used to work in Human Resources.  The law in the state of Texas is that anyone can be let go from a position for any reason or no reason at all.  Your employer does not have to give you a reason according to the law.  Most do out of courtesy, but the law does not mandate it.  So yes, in theory, a coach could lose his job for applying at another school, or for wearing blue, or for driving a Toyota, whatever. 

Thanks. But if someone was let go without being told why, they can still file suit against the company for wrongful termination, right? It may be legal, but it doesn't seem to me that the company would want the immediate court costs. Especially in this sue-happy day and time.

Was in HR as well.......Texas is a right-to-work state. This means that under the Texas Labor Code, a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labor union or other labor organization. Texas is an at-will state, an employer can fire an employee with or without cause. The only exception would be if you are fired for an illegal reason. (Because of your gender, religion, political affiliation, age, etc).  Most companies follow policies that are fair so that someone is not fired for an illegal reason.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in Human Resources.  The law in the state of Texas is that anyone can be let go from a position for any reason or no reason at all.  Your employer does not have to give you a reason according to the law.  Most do out of courtesy, but the law does not mandate it.  So yes, in theory, a coach could lose his job for applying at another school, or for wearing blue, or for driving a Toyota, whatever. 

Thanks. But if someone was let go without being told why, they can still file suit against the company for wrongful termination, right? It may be legal, but it doesn't seem to me that the company would want the immediate court costs. Especially in this sue-happy day and time.

Was in HR as well.......Texas is a right-to-work state. This means that under the Texas Labor Code, a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labor union or other labor organization. Texas is an at-will state, an employer can fire an employee with or without cause. The only exception would be if you are fired for an illegal reason. (Because of your gender, religion, political affiliation, age, etc).  Most companies follow policies that are fair so that someone is not fired for an illegal reason.

Thanks guys. As the kids on South Park would say:

"You know, I've learned something today..."  ;)

Nosy people with nothing better to do than worry about what someone else is doing. 

;D Yea but if it was your school you would be the first to want to see the list.

Not necessarily so.  It IS my school, and I don't mind waiting for the process to be carried out, in the best interest of the school,.... and applying families.

Not in the Teaching profession.  In the teaching profession, teachers are under contract. Even at the end of that contract term, teachers have to be renewed unless the administration has placed that teacher under a growth plan and the teacher hasn't lived up to the requirements of the growth plan or has done something that violates board policy. 

ive got the list and its for sale!!!!!!!!!!one millllliooon dollars(said in a dr evil voice).

SOLD!   Now, where did I put that Monopoly money?.....

Fess up Brother Proud...we all know YOU have applied for that position and that's why it's  being kept so hush-hush!!!  ;D    ooops...I wasn't supposed to mention that right??  ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham