Top 50 Sports broadcasters

Sir Francis "Chick" Hearn deserves a higher rating than #21, he's a top ten broadcaster for many reasons. Granted he is best known for his calls as the Lakers for around 40 years incluiding setting the record for most consecutive games called without missing a game,  but he also did other sports equally well and his voice appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows as an announcer, either with an actual air check or reading a script, e.g Colombo, Heaven Can Wait and dozens more

Chickie baby painted an "word's eye view", he refused to sit court side and preffered sitting in the stands abpove the court to improve his total vision of the game. He single handidly created most of the nomenclature of basketball announcing being used today, he invented slam dunk, dribble drive, airball, skyhook, no-look pass, stutter step, alley-oop, rainbow shot,  and many more. Chick also simulcasted the games, in other words the radio broadcast was the same as the TV narration and he would keep up with the bounce of the ball due to his rapid fire tongue. He also had an uncanny ability to call the shot, made or missed while the ball was still in the air

Chick also worked in the front office of the Lakers because he had a great talent evaluation skills and despite being a Lakers fan, he never was a homer and would acknoledge the greatness of opposing players and teams and would call out Lakers on the air if they were dogging it or playing poorly  Even in the latter years of his career, the 90s when most radio announcers used a monitor to call a game, Chick would not and he followed Red Barber's golden rule, give the score before the egg timer runs out, every three minutes. Today's broadcasters in all sports because of their reliance on TV graphics can go 6, 7, 8 even 9 minutes of action and not give the score for their radio casts, horrifically sad

Seriously I really am not a big fan of Craig Way, mainly his basketball broadcasts drive me insane the most. Now for Milo, the biggest a-hole in sports broadcasting. Everyone that has ever worked with him has wanted to shoot him. He always talked dirty about Harry Carey getting him fired in both St. Louis and Chicago, only to do some of the nastiest things to run off the Legendary Gene Elston in Houston. Sorry sack of crap!

Seriously I really am not a big fan of Craig Way, mainly his basketball broadcasts drive me insane the most. Now for Milo, the biggest a-hole in sports broadcasting. Everyone that has ever worked with him has wanted to shoot him. He always talked dirty about Harry Carey getting him fired in both St. Louis and Chicago, only to do some of the nastiest things to run off the Legendary Gene Elston in Houston. Sorry sack of crap!

Hey Joey, you see this. What do you think about this? ;D

Tell us how you really feel...I have heard that Milo isn't the nicest guy around.  I don't listen to or watch basketball anymore so I'll have to take your word on that.  I do think he calls a football game pretty well...the A&M announcer (name?) has a better voice but he screws up too much. 

Speaking of...how many times was the Natl. Champ. crew going to tell us about how good a guy Tim Tebow was?  Oh, and please pay attention to what down it is inside the 5. 

Brenneman was terrible when he first started with the Chicago Cubs way back when, but some how he has stayed employed here and there over the years. I do want to point out Troy Aikman as being one of my favorites and he in my opinion really can bring something to the table that is missing in others commentary.

Tell us how you really feel...I have heard that Milo isn't the nicest guy around.  I don't listen to or watch basketball anymore so I'll have to take your word on that.  I do think he calls a football game pretty well...the A&M announcer (name?) has a better voice but he screws up too much. 

Speaking of...how many times was the Natl. Champ. crew going to tell us about how good a guy Tim Tebow was?  Oh, and please pay attention to what down it is inside the 5. 

The A&M play-by-play man is Dave South.

I have never heard Milo do a football or basketball game. ??? I think you have him confused with someone else. Milo was the radio broadcaster for the Houston Astros.

Guest JoesBros

Milo sat in for Gene Peterson a time or two back in the 80's for Rockets games. I never heard his call on football but he use to do select games back in the day. Everybody has their opinion of Milo which is fine. The whole reason I tagged him as my hero is because, growing up listening to the Astros going back to the 87' season he was the only voice of the Astros I know. Im sure if I was old enough I would of loved Gene Elston. I will be the first to admit that Milo has lost his skills over the past couple of years. He is defintley a homer which I think is great because when you are broadcasting one team how can you not be one? I wish they would of kept Alan Ashby but Dolan and Raymond are starting to grow on me. Someone needs to throw Jim Hawthorne's name in their as well he blows Craig Way out of the water IMO.

We were talking about Craig Way doing football and basketball.  We all know who Milo Hamilton is...lost his skills in the past few years??  I've had instances where I've had to call people I knew were watching the game while I was in the car listening on the radio to find out what happened on some plays.  "Holy Toledo" and his home run calls will forever stay with me but the man lost it there at the end.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlakeJ8
    Newest Member
    BlakeJ8