Protecting players?

Lazeek

In other Pony league's around SE Texas what are your league rules about protecting players?  For example I am coaching and have my assistant already.  Most of our coaches have a gentleman's agreement on having the head coach and assistant already picked prior to the draft, but what rounds should I have to take my son and my assistant's son in?  Both of the kids are playing in their first year of coach pitch and both made the TC #1 All Star team last season in the Shetland division.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!!!

In other Pony league's around SE Texas what are your league rules about protecting players?  For example I am coaching and have my assistant already.  Most of our coaches have a gentleman's agreement on having the head coach and assistant already picked prior to the draft, but what rounds should I have to take my son and my assistant's son in?  Both of the kids are playing in their first year of coach pitch and both made the TC #1 All Star team last season in the Shetland division.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!!!

at that age not a dime's worth a difference, you might have 1 or 2 players per team above average. if i remember, ,the manager used the 4th round,5th round for assistant for all teams.

as they got older , coaches and managers took their kids at the skill level of the draft. if he's a 1st rounder you better grab him in the 1st, if you pass he's free to go to anyone. only way to get him back is to trade for him.

and yes i've seen it happen many times other coaches grabbing the son's of other coaches.

Needs to be in the leagues rules and should start at the lowest level. I coached at Buna LL, Vidor Pony and it was in the league by-laws, I also coached at TC yrs back but I really don't remember how it was, what I do know is it dont matter WHAT you come up with and NO matter how much sense it makes it wont matter at TC if it don't match the few who run the league. 4 example: it dont matter what your record is thru the yr, or who wins the end of season tourney, they will give the All-Star team to whoever they want no matter what they did thru out the season... 

In Silsbee every one has a first round pick. Then in the second round you pick your asst. coach kid, then in the third round you pick your kid (mangers pick). If you don't have an asst. coach, then you just pick. If you have another parent that is helping coach with you then we try and make a gentleman's agreement. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. 

in orange, if you coach your child is on your roster automatically. you can pick your assistant coach, but that takes your first round draft pick. my opinion is that it does not make sense that if you are a coach your kid is in the draft for possibly someone else to pick up. ??? ??? ???

It makes perfect sense as kids get older, about 11/12 it starts to matter and needs to be implemented for the competitiveness of the league.  I've seen lots of very good coaches who's kids were 4th round picks at best, you have to level the playing field for the manager pick for the good of the league.

It makes perfect sense as kids get older, about 11/12 it starts to matter and needs to be implemented for the competitiveness of the league.  I've seen lots of very good coaches who's kids were 4th round picks at best, you have to level the playing field for the manager pick for the good of the league.

that sums it up, i was just about to post the same.

true story, many moons ago went into draft, no players protected, believe it was 13 yr old. me and assistant coached together for years and were ready for another year. he had to work nights, I'm by myself in the draft.

assistant coach 's son was a good ball player, went on to play college ball and i was sitting there with him on the board after second round. do i take him in the 3rd or pass and if taken i would trade my 3rd round pic. i passed, other coach grabbed him, we finished the draft.

ok. trades begin. me and the other coach agree for trade so i can get my assistant's son. he throws a curveball at me. the other coach tells me " i'll give you little johnny but i want your 1st round pic"

little johnny turn out out as a 1st rounder in that draft.

It makes no sense that a "Coach" has to use a pick on his own son, no matter if he's 5 or 12. If a coaches kid is better then another coaches kid so be it  you don't punish that coach because his kid is better. If someone volunteers to coach a team then his/her kid should be on that team and they should not have to waist a draft pick to get him/her.

Now assistant coaches kids well that should be left up to the coaches, pick them first if you want them are take a chance on someone else picking them and then you'll have to trade to get them.

Lets remember coaches who coach all volunteer their time, remember the crap he or she goes through during the season. Also remember what the league expects from them, from working on the fields to attending meetings, holding practices and having to handle little Johnny's parents after ever game because he didn't play as much as they wanted him to. So by putting the coaches son on the team that he/she is volunteering to coach should be just fine, that's the least a league should due for someone who volunteers their time.

BTW, in Vidor you don't have to use a draft pick on assistant coaches as long as you the coach takes a team with two protection on it. Vidor lets you have two protection each year, but you cant have no more then three on a team at once. So if you take a team and the coach the previous year use both protections and the kids are returning to that team then that team would only have one protection and the head coach would have to use it on his kid. Unless one of the protections were used on a older kid and he moves up, that would open up another protection giving that coach two. One for his kid and the other for whom ever he wants. But you have to remember if you use both protections in one year then the next year no matter if you are head coach are not that team only gets one protection. Vidor does not redraft  every year. You keep the team you had with the returning players. They do try to make it where you have to have the same equal amount of older kids as you do younger.

Guest Brubaker

VP93, I think you're missing the point, your son will always be on your team, but you have to have some basis for when he will be picked for the COMPETITIVENESS and GOOD of the league, this does you and your son justice in the long run.  If your son is a complete FREAKIN stud and he's picked in the 4th round with another coach who's son is just a good ball player but not a stud, YOU are taking the LEAGUE and KIDS down a notch because it won't be fair.  Surely you can see this point of view, it's not about penalizing a coach, it's about the league and all the kids and if you are a coach, you should be in it for all the kids, not just you and yours.

that sums it up, i was just about to post the same.

true story, many moons ago went into draft, no players protected, believe it was 13 yr old. me and assistant coached together for years and were ready for another year. he had to work nights, I'm by myself in the draft.

assistant coach 's son was a good ball player, went on to play college ball and i was sitting there with him on the board after second round. do i take him in the 3rd or pass and if taken i would trade my 3rd round pic. i passed, other coach grabbed him, we finished the draft.

ok. trades begin. me and the other coach agree for trade so i can get my assistant's son. he throws a curveball at me. the other coach tells me " i'll give you little johnny but i want your 1st round pic"

little johnny turn out out as a 1st rounder in that draft.

Admin, one year when I played BRuth, a mgr pushed his luck on when he would take his asst coaches son... and he wound up getting picked by another team.  The mgr thought it was too early, so wouldn't trade for him.  Kid wound up playin for a different team.  It's usually best if coaches have expressed when they think coaches sons should go before the draft, saves a lot of angst in the draft.

Just a few thoughts, Not all managers have kids that play on the team so you do need to have a round early where you take the managers son so the ones without a son get a pick that round. When you take him depends if you use a straight draft or a snake draft for isnstant  team ( 1,2,3,4,5,6 second round 6,5,4,3,2,1 third round 1,2,3,4,5,6 and so on) . Now for the hard question the assis. coaches son. If you go by the strict LL guidelines only the Managers son may be protected. I understand that very few leagues do this, Lumberton will follow this rule for the first time. Only the managers son will be protected if you want a certain coach as a assit. you must take them early or lose them. I do agree that I have always thought that the Managers sons should be graded and taken in a round that fits them. I am also glad that this doesnt happen in Lumberton,  My son is a first round pitcher I am at an advantage if another managers son is a 5th round pick. We have always taken all managers kids in the same round. I think it is best without any extra protected picks. If I take my son and the next best pitcher as my coaches pick then get the first pick in the draft you can almost crown my team as champions.  Even though it hurts my team I agree with only protecting the managers son.

It makes perfect sense to me to use a draft pick to pick your own kid.  There are coaches who don't have a kid.  In that case, it would seem unfair for the other coaches to automatically get their kid plus a 1st round draft.  That's 2 for the price of one.  I understand it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    333tba
    Newest Member
    333tba