Here comes the Stros

Do we have any umpires on the board?

Astros bases loaded 1 out 0-0 bottom of 9th. Huff sends screamer down 1st base line, Berkman on 1st, holds thinking it might get caught on line. 1B makes play as grounder touches bag with Berkman on it, then throws home, runner is safe as catcher didn't tag runner from third as there was no force.

Question, if 1B would have tagged Berkman standing on 1st would there be a force at home?

If he would have tagged berkman standing on first berkman would not have been out because he was on a base (I think, I thought about this a while last night too). However, if Berkman is out on the tag then it forces a tag at home because it would have taken off the force. If Berkman could have been out by just tagging he should have done that and then touched first, but I believe since Berkman stayed on base we was safe.

Guest emonarch777

I think your right for Berkman to be out he would of had to be forced out at second or tagged if he was off the base. Since first base was tagged Berkman didnt have to run to second. Tagginf first takes the force play off the bases.

Ac ouple of things. If he had tagged Berkman first it wouldn't have mattered if he were on the bag or not. because it is a force he has to move to second 1st base is not a safe haven for him. But as soon as Cirrillo tagged the bag, Berkman had the right to 1st base. The best play the Brewers could have made was to tag Berkman and then touch first. The only way they could have gotten a force at home would have been to throw there immediately without making any other outs first.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats