Nederland Coach Question

Yes, why?

Just wondering if this might have something to do with PNG now wanting their new AD to have a master's? ( Keeping up with the Jones?)

KDOSullivan, you amaze me!  You must have a lot of free time to think these things up.  PNG requiring a masters has nothing to do with Neumann having his masters.  I believe more and more schools are now requiring it because the position has changed from just being a Head Coach to an AD as well.  The AD is an administrative postition, thus, the candidate will be required to have his masters in order to meet the requirements.  Of course, I feel you will spin this any way you wont, so probably no use in trying to explain it to you.

PNG>>>>>>Honor.....Pride......Tradition......"Priceless"

Yes, why?

Just wondering if this might have something to do with PNG now wanting their new AD to have a master's? ( Keeping up with the Jones?)

KDOSullivan, you amaze me!  You must have a lot of free time to think these things up.  PNG requiring a masters has nothing to do with Neumann having his masters.  I believe more and more schools are now requiring it because the position has changed from just being a Head Coach to an AD as well.  The AD is an administrative postition, thus, the candidate will be required to have his masters in order to meet the requirements.  Of course, I feel you will spin this any way you wont, so probably no use in trying to explain it to you.

Just soooo defensive. ::)......This will stop, just release the names like the law requires....Then everything will go back to normal.....I am telling you, I think I am right about the master's. It is not a bad thing, just Nederland did it first.

Yes, why?

Just soooo defensive. ::)......This will stop, just release the names like the law requires....Then everything will go back to normal.....I am telling you, I think I am right about the master's. It is not a bad thing, just Nederland did it first.

Actually dude, Matt Burnett was the first PNG Head Coach that didn't have his masters. Well let me say at least back to Ethridge.All of them had Masters.Ethridge, Troy, Malone and Owens all had masters.

Yes, why?

Like Warrior touched on, the AD position is ALOT more than drawing the X's and O's.  The position is ADMINISTRATIVE, including responsibility for the athletic budget for ALL sports. Also, If I'm not mistaken, ALL the coaches in ALL of the sports offered at the HS level ultimately report to the AD. Not minor resposnibilities by any stretch. Even as competitive as PNG and Nederland are, I really can't believe that PNG is looking for a candidate with a masters degree because "Nederland did it first".

Yes, why?

Like Warrior touched on, the AD position is ALOT more than drawing the X's and O's.  The position is ADMINISTRATIVE, including responsibility for the athletic budget for ALL sports. Also, If I'm not mistaken, ALL the coaches in ALL of the sports offered at the HS level ultimately report to the AD. Not minor resposnibilities by any stretch. Even as competitive as PNG and Nederland are, I really can't believe that PNG is looking for a candidate with a masters degree because "Nederland did it first".

I am telling you, it is because Nederland's AD has one. I am convinced of that fact. There are still plenty of ADs without master's.

The Masters thing was a mistake. That's why there are only 35 that applied and there are alot of coaches without Masters that are great Coaches.

Its not a mistake.  The AD position is an ADMINISTRATIVE position as YankeeDawg stated and requires the candidate to have his masters.  Not a mistake.  It actually cuts down on salary expenses for the district in that one person can do the job of two.  I'm PNG is requiring the masters.  As a teacher, myself, the AD/HC will definitely earn his pay.

AD's without Masters?  I would have to strongly challenge that statement.

Yes, why?

I am telling you, it is because Nederland's AD has one. I am convinced of that fact. There are still plenty of ADs without master's.

Yes, why?

There are AD's without masters. It has always been a policy at PNG to have a masters.That is why now , we have co AD's. Barbara Comeaux (has a masters) and Matt Burnett (first PNG coach that did not have masters).This arrangement was put in place when Matt replaced Tim Owens. It has nothing to do with Nederland I can assure you of that. ::)

I still don't think so.  But, if you can name any permanent AD's without them, then I will concede.  Don't you realise this is why Burnett didn't have the title?

Yes, why?

There are AD's without masters. It has always been a policy at PNG to have a masters.That is why now , we have co AD's. Barbara Comeaux (has a masters) and Matt Burnett (first PNG coach that did not have masters).This arrangement was put in place when Matt replaced Tim Owens. It has nothing to do with Nederland I can assure you of that. ::)

Yes, why?

Probably not, but the salary hike for the position does.

Jobs without master's mentioned. Smaller schools, but no masters...And don't crab about these being smaller schools, you can rest assure that all other administrators have master's.

This is the hidden content, please

( Van Vleck)

( Master's preferred, not required, Center)

( Marlon)

Jobs without master's mentioned. Smaller schools, but no masters...And don't crab about these being smaller schools, you can rest assure that all other administrators have master's.

( Van Vleck)

( Marlon)

I know and agree there are plenty other AD's without masters as per my point to Smitty. But it has ALWAYS been policy at PNG, it didn't just start because Nederlands AD has a masters, I guarantee that. Burnett was the first at PNG to get the HC job without masters.

( Van Vleck)

( Marlon)

I know and agree there are plenty other AD's without masters as per my point to Smitty. But it has ALWAYS been policy at PNG, it didn't just start because Nederlands AD has a masters, I guarantee that. Burnett was the first at PNG to get the HC job without masters.

Ok, I will give you previous PNG  AD/coaches had master's, answer me this, does Jeff Matthews at Vidor or Dan Hooks at WO-S have thier master's? Just curious on these two.

So as stated in a few post earlier, it is because they are going to be an administrator.  So answer this for me.

What is a masters degree in Kinesiology, History, Biology, or many others going to do for me as an administrator.  They are not going to teach you anything you need to know about being an admin in these classes.  If you said a masters in business or education i might could buy it but not just a masters. 

It basically means that as an admin, I am not going to have a head coach/AD making the same money as me without a masters.  It will do nothing to help him in administration.

So as stated in a few post earlier, it is because they are going to be an administrator.  So answer this for me.

What is a masters degree in Kinesiology, History, Biology, or many others going to do for me as an administrator.  They are not going to teach you anything you need to know about being an admin in these classes.  If you said a masters in business or education i might could buy it but not just a masters. 

It basically means that as an admin, I am not going to have a head coach/AD making the same money as me without a masters.  It will do nothing to help him in administration.

If it is only a master's, then a history or English or biology or even an agriculture  M.A./M.S. degree will work according to the application. In truth, a education administration master's really doesn't have much to do with being an athletic administrator. Maybe the budget classes, but not much else.( You know with the economics classes an ag major takes might actually help more than a history master's.)

I still don't think so.  But, if you can name any permanent AD's without them, then I will concede.  Don't you realise this is why Burnett didn't have the title?

Yes, why?

There are plenty of schools out there that have AD's without a Master's

Still waiting on names that are AD's with no Masters.

Yes, why?

There are plenty of schools out there that have AD's without a Master's

Yes, why?

Are you trying to pick up the slack for jackhammer? Surely you don't want to suprass the #1 jackass on this board do you?

Yes, why?

Are you trying to pick up the slack for jackhammer? Surely you don't want to suprass the #1 jackass on this board do you?

So we now go to name calling because I ask a question, and I have an opinion? Trust me, in school business, stranger things have happened.

Yes, why?

So we now go to name calling because I ask a question, and I have an opinion? Trust me, in school business, stranger things have happened.

It was a joke. No one could ever out do jackhammer in the ignorance department. On the other hand, I completely disagree with you that PN-G is looking for a coach with a master's so they can be like Nederland. Considering every coach at PN-G the last 40 years except Burnett have had Master's, that just does not fly.

Where I can see Nederland influencing this is with Neumann's salary. I think a top notch coach will demand the 90,000+ Nuemann makes and PN-G will have to justify that pay by having the person be the AD/HC. If I understand correctly, PN-G (not the state) requires adminstration positions to have Master's. I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told. I think PN-G wants to make a big splash with it's hire. I am sure they feel with the tradition, fan support, and new facilities they can do this. JMHO.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham