Let's hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SFA85

Okay board nerds and football fanatics.  Knowing what you do about the Spread vs. other traditional offenses, plus knowing what's coming down the pipe as far as talent goes, would you run the spread or something else?

Mix it up!

[move]STUMP STUMP STUMP STUMP STUMP[/move]

I can say Stump does switch to the Triple I formation inside the 10.  Unlike a certain school on Jefferson Drive that will remain nameless....

In Dayton we have some good size coming up which might give us some success in a power running type O but... that size isn't gonna be here for long enough to make a change IMO. Plus... I feel like our kids have a good grasp of the O and our D hasn't been soft because of it. Well, it hasn't been soft against power running teams.  ;) The only running teams to have much success against us lately are NF and Livingston.

I'll stick with what we got going!

In Dayton we have some good size coming up which might give us some success in a power running type O but... that size isn't gonna be here for long enough to make a change IMO. Plus... I feel like our kids have a good grasp of the O and our D hasn't been soft because of it. Well, it hasn't been soft against power running teams.  ;) The only running teams to have much success against us lately are NF and Livingston.

You forgot Lumberton

IDK... I like smash mouth football.  Its something about the attitude that comes with it.  The mentality that you know what is coming, try to stop it.  The spread is too gimmiky for me.  I think it is creative, but its too much like chess than football.  I say run the pill.

There's not all that much difference in whatever scheme you're running...execution is the key especially in High School.  I prefer whatever offense can go down and stick it in the endzone the most times. 

You typically score quickly out of the spread which means you're always in the game.  Up 14-0 against a spread team is ALOT different than 14-0 against a team running the triple option out of the flex-bone. 

SFA85, what about LaMarque? Are they just the one in a thousand? They have had great offenses and defenses over the years. Maybe it has a lot to do with talent. Dayton has been doing well too.

Well I think the Spread O is personnel driven vs. just plug and play.  You either have to have a slew of RB's coming through or a wave of QB's and WR's plus the Oline has to be stellar year in and out. 

SFA85, what about LaMarque? Are they just the one in a thousand? They have had great offenses and defenses over the years. Maybe it has a lot to do with talent. Dayton has been doing well too.

Well I think the Spread O is personnel driven vs. just plug and play.  You either have to have a slew of RB's coming through or a wave of QB's and WR's plus the Oline has to be stellar year in and out. 

Thanks for the reply. I was more curious about the defense, since you have always claimed that spread-o teams have soft defenses because they practice against the spread blocking schemes (which you call finesse blocking).

You forgot Lumberton

???

Where was Lumberton in the 4th round of the playoffs???

It's a different type of blocking for the O-Line.  You don't need 300 lbs road-graters to run the spread or run and shoot or whatever name it will have in the future.  It takes greater advantage of athletes in the open field and makes the defense cover the whole field instead of ramming 8 or 9 guys in the box.  It doesn't work as well if you don't have a QB that can throw the ball.

You forgot Lumberton

???

What was the score the last time we played in district?

You forgot Lumberton

???

8-7....must have run it all over us that game....

You forgot Lumberton

???

8-7.... I know you weren't asking me though. My post was about teams having success strictly running the ball. L-town didn't score until they made some huge completions on the last drive. You've got to mix it up to be successful... which I'm sure you know.

You forgot Lumberton

???

8-7.... I know you weren't asking me though. My post was about teams having success strictly running the ball. L-town didn't score until they made some huge completions on the last drive. You've got to mix it up to be successful... which I'm sure you know.

You have lost what... 3 games in two years?  You obviously had a better team the last two years and I'm not trying to say Lumberton was or is better, I was just merely pointing out the we had some success against Dayton and that we are pretty much a power running team.  My response was only to Purples reply about our play-off exit. 

You have lost what... 3 games in two years?  You obviously had a better team the last two years and I'm not trying to say Lumberton was or is better, I was just merely pointing out the we had some success against Dayton and that we are pretty much a power running team.  My response was only to Purples reply about our play-off exit. 

I knew who you were talking to. I just felt like Livingston and NF were the teams who had a good deal of success strictly running the ball. You guys did what you had to do to win and that was mix the run with the pass. No disrepect to L-town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham