Silsbee Football Players in Involved in Rape Case Will Not Face Charges

From the Enterprise:

The case against against three Silsbee High School football players who were accused of raping a cheerleader will not go forward after the Hardin County Grand Jury no-billed the charges.

The Grand Jury heard about three hours of evidence, according to a news release from Hardin County District Attorney David Sheffield.

Unless new evidence is discovered making another Grand Jury hearing necessary, the no-bill ends the case.

A no-bill means that the Grand Jury did not feel there was sufficient evidence to continue the case.

Sheffield said that any retribution, threats or harassment of the victim in the case could result in third degree felony retaliation charges being filed.

kfdm.com

The Hardin County grand jury has decided not to indict three Silsbee High School football players who were charged with sexually assaulting a cheerleader during a party, according to District Attorney David Sheffield.

The grand jury heard about three hours of testimony Monday before voting to no-bill Christian Rountree, 18, Rakheem Bolton, 17, and a 16 year old juvenile.

They were accused of sexually assaulting a Silsbee High School cheerleader last October during a party at a home in Silsbee.

"The action by the grand jury ends the matter unless something such as newly discovered evidence arises and necessitates presentment of the case to this or another grand jury," said Sheffield.

Sheffield told KFDM News everyone involved in the case is a victim of underage drinking and an extreme lack of adult supervision.

"Because everyone had been drinking, it would have made it difficult to prove the allegations raised in this case," said Sheffield.

"Everyone's memory and degree of accuracy in their recollections would make it tough to prove."

A woman at the home where the party took place faces misdemeanor charges of making alcohol available to minors.

"I've been astonished about how many adults we've had throwing parties and allowing alcohol to be consumed by minors. They don't have the maturity to handle alcohol in these situations," said Sheffield.

Sheffield says because the players and the cheerleader are no more than three years apart in age, state law prevents prosecution for sexual assault if the grand jury cannot determine consent.  He says if the age difference had been greater than three years, state law allows for prosecution of sexual assault, even if there's consent.

"The case has deeply divided the community of Silsbee and especially Silsbee High School." Sheffield strongly warns that any retribution, threats or harassment of the victim could result in 3rd degree felony Retaliation charges being filed.

If indicted and convicted, the teens could have faced up to 20 years in prison.

kfdm.com

The Hardin County grand jury has decided not to indict three Silsbee High School football players who were charged with sexually assaulting a cheerleader during a party, according to District Attorney David Sheffield.

The grand jury heard about three hours of testimony Monday before voting to no-bill Christian Rountree, 18, Rakheem Bolton, 17, and a 16 year old juvenile.

They were accused of sexually assaulting a Silsbee High School cheerleader last October during a party at a home in Silsbee.

"The action by the grand jury ends the matter unless something such as newly discovered evidence arises and necessitates presentment of the case to this or another grand jury," said Sheffield.

Sheffield told KFDM News everyone involved in the case is a victim of underage drinking and an extreme lack of adult supervision.

"Because everyone had been drinking, it would have made it difficult to prove the allegations raised in this case," said Sheffield.

"Everyone's memory and degree of accuracy in their recollections would make it tough to prove."

A woman at the home where the party took place faces misdemeanor charges of making alcohol available to minors.

"I've been astonished about how many adults we've had throwing parties and allowing alcohol to be consumed by minors. They don't have the maturity to handle alcohol in these situations," said Sheffield.

Sheffield says because the players and the cheerleader are no more than three years apart in age, state law prevents prosecution for sexual assault if the grand jury cannot determine consent.  He says if the age difference had been greater than three years, state law allows for prosecution of sexual assault, even if there's consent.

"The case has deeply divided the community of Silsbee and especially Silsbee High School." Sheffield strongly warns that any retribution, threats or harassment of the victim could result in 3rd degree felony Retaliation charges being filed.

Adults providing minors with alcohol is getting to be a big problem everywhere , that needs to be dealt with.

kfdm.com

Adults providing minors with alcohol is getting to be a big problem everywhere , that needs to be dealt with.

Between 1980 - 1985, we had party's at TJ all the time. Not at the school obviously, but at peoples houses. Most usually had an adult around and beer or kegs.  Does anyone remember the armory party's off 9th avenue..........was a blast!! Never had those kind of issues. Its a shame............

Hope lessons learned from this.As for parents providing alcohol at private parties I have no problem with it when supervised correctly.I think it is ridulous that a 18 yr.old can die on the battlefield-uncle sam sending beer/cigarettes into the battlefield but cannot legally buy them stateside.A 17 yr.old died in Vietnam.His parent signed a minor release to get him in.In past years alot of HS students frequently drove over to The Texas Pelican & Corral Club in Starks,La.to party a much dangerous situation.

Hope lessons learned from this.As for parents providing alcohol at private parties I have no problem with it when supervised correctly.I think it is ridulous that a 18 yr.old can die on the battlefield-uncle sam sending beer/cigarettes into the battlefield but cannot legally buy them stateside.A 17 yr.old died in Vietnam.His parent signed a minor release to get him in.In past years alot of HS students frequently drove over to The Texas Pelican & Corral Club in Starks,La.to party a much dangerous situation.

I can see your point of the soldier deal and thats great just giving it to your own child but usually what happens is kids are there and their parents dont know about it and they may not approve, plus its illegal.

I sadly saw on the news last how this case has turned into an underage drinking thing...what the **** happenened with the real topic.  A young girl was sexually molested and all they focus on is underage drinking?? The story touched on the victim , if I remember right, just once I wonder if those kids were not football players what would have been the outcome.

Think about it...if it was YOUR daughter who was victimized...would you feel closure because some idiot parent let a bunch of kids drink.  I think not.

Seems to me that someone swept something under the rug or maybe bought their way out of fully prosecuting these kids...it's happened before.

You may have a point Buc,  but if it was my daughter, I wouldn't care if he was white, black or any color in between.

It bothered me the way the focus was on drinking.  It's almost like because there was underage drinking, what happened was justified and accepted.

Maybe I'm not looking at this from the right perspective.  :-\

You may have a point Buc,  but if it was my daughter, I wouldn't care if he was white, black or any color in between.

It bothered me the way the focus was on drinking.  It's almost like because there was underage drinking, what happened was justified and accepted.

Maybe I'm not looking at this from the right perspective.  :-\

That is how the article made it sound I'll agree. I think the bigger issue is that 3 lives are forever changed for somthing that may or may NOT have happened.

One of the problems I have with the article is the fact that the newpaper labeled them as football players and not students.  I always thought that they were students that happened to play football.  Kinda gives the indication that only football players or athletes do these types of things.  I guess they had to get and eye catcher to get people to buy their papers or watch their newscast.  Seems like good things i.e. athletics,  get blackeyes all the time, other stuff doesn't mean anything.

wait a second........... When I hear comments like, "but if it was my daughter, I wouldn't care if he was white, black or any color in between" or "A young girl was sexually molested and all they focus on is underage drinking??"....why do we assume the guys are guilty.  Is it possible the girl made up somethings? The case was heard by a grand jury and they decided not to go forward. If you recall, remember the rape case at Duke concerning the lacrosse players. We find out the victim made up several stories.........those guys will have that follow them for the rest of their lives. Not fair!

and to the comment, "if it was my daughter"...........I would teach her never to put herself in a situation where she could get hurt.

I can see your point of the soldier deal and thats great just giving it to your own child but usually what happens is kids are there and their parents dont know about it and they may not approve, plus its illegal.

You are correct about the illegal part. You can give alcohol to your own child that is in your presence. You cannot give alcohol to another person child even with that person's consent.

wait a second........... When I hear comments like, "but if it was my daughter, I wouldn't care if he was white, black or any color in between" or "A young girl was sexually molested and all they focus on is underage drinking??"....why do we assume the guys are guilty.  Is it possible the girl made up somethings? The case was heard by a grand jury and they decided not to go forward. If you recall, remember the rape case at Duke concerning the lacrosse players. We find out the victim made up several stories.........those guys will have that follow them for the rest of their lives. Not fair!

and to the comment, "if it was my daughter"...........I would teach her never to put herself in a situation where she could get hurt.

My comment about the color was in response to buc saying about the Daddy not being happy if it was a black kid.

IMO Color has nothing to do with it.

The next comment was regarding the segment I saw on the news...where underage drinking became the focal point.

And regarding the last comment, believe me, we HAVE.  I was speaking/posting hypothetically.

I don't believe anyone here was at the scene, so I guess we all have our opinions/views/conviction...none of which are based on eyewitness accounts.  All we can rely on is what we hear/read in the media.