Lamar vs. Sam Houston State Updates/LU FALLS IN 2 OT's!!!

I point the finger at Roc. SHSU plan was simple, stop Dawkins and you win.

They stopped Dawkins. Lamar should have responded by stopping Mitchell, who scored 37 pts. Lamar did nothing, zilch, nada, nothing to stop him. And Roc wonders why no one shows up to the games... top 25 program, yeah right.

Harper should shoot 250 ft's before and 250 after every practice. 

I would bet there was at least 100 ft's in this game.

I don't know, I really just don't know about this one. Sam Houston isn't bad, but they're not great, and the fact is they won't this game by making FT's. The refs sure as hell SUCKED but either way we both had our chances and Sam capitalized on theirs.

Box score...

This is the hidden content, please

And MFFL -- SHSU is not great, but we are heading in the right direction. This team is learning as they go. Games like this are valuable lessons. Our young squad has played their share of close games, more than LU has played this season, that's for sure. Most importantly, they are learning how to win them and that's something that some of our more experienced teams of yesteryear have not always been good at.

Taking nothing from SHSU, but this is the absolute worst officiating crew ever.  You can ALWAYS count on a ridiculous # of fouls being called.  I don't know how any team can do anything with these guys.  And what was the double technical early about?

Hate to call a kid out but, #21 hit half his free throws LU win this. First time I've seen the Cards this year and I must say, he has a knack for getting to the line. If he just practice his free throws!!!!!! He must have hit 3 or 4 out of 12. Game should not have went into over time.

Taking nothing from SHSU, but this is the absolute worst officiating crew ever.  You can ALWAYS count on a ridiculous # of fouls being called.  I don't know how any team can do anything with these guys.  And what was the double technical early about?

That was one of the more recognizable and probably one of the best groups of officials in the SLC -- Randall, Dugas and Jon Stigliano. At a time when most conferences in this region have been seeing officials they have never seen before, all three are very recognizable names.

Thanks RevSFA!

Speaking of the Southland, there was a real thriller-chiller at Lamar, where Sam Houston State extended a lead late in the second overtime period to win 112-105. Part of the reason for the pullaway was that the homestanding Cardinals almost ran out of players. A total of 68 fouls were called in this game, distributed evenly between both squads, and seven players were disqualified with five (four for Lamar, three for the Bearkats). All that rasslin' and hackin' gave rise to a performance that was destined for this space.

Ashton Mitchell is a 5-11 Sam State junior guard who spent a good deal of his first two years missing free throws, but something must have happened last summer in the driveway. His average from the line has shot up over 10 points to 78.8 percent, and Lamar must not have received the memo that he's the wrong guy to foul. He's had four perfect nights at the free throw line, and made nine of 10 in last Saturday's win against Texas-Arlington. But that just set the stage for last night.

This is the hidden content, please

We can debate why Sam won and why Lamar lost it was the worst officiated game I've seen in years.  I would feel the same way had Lamar won the game.  The lead official, Rick Randall, was out to show everyone that he'll call a foul because he can whether it affects the game or not.  The worst of the worst was the double technical--two guys bump into to each other coming off the court, one of them gets a T, and when the bench describes the official in terms that most everyone will agree with, there is a second T. (a sorry--think incest).

69 fouls, 105 foul shots.  See little Ricky go tweet, tweet, tweet; Rocking Randall....

I don't pay to see some fool with a chip on his shoulder blow the whistle--LET THEM PLAY!  at least, a little

He even tried to get one of the fans removed.  Rabbit ears aren't good trait for an official

We can debate why Sam won and why Lamar lost it was the worst officiated game I've seen in years.  I would feel the same way had Lamar won the game.  The lead official, Rick Randall, was out to show everyone that he'll call a foul because he can whether it affects the game or not.  The worst of the worst was the double technical--two guys bump into to each other coming off the court, one of them gets a T, and when the bench describes the official in terms that most everyone will agree with, there is a second T. (a sorry--think incest).

69 fouls, 105 foul shots.  See little Ricky go tweet, tweet, tweet; Rocking Randall....

I don't pay to see some fool with a chip on his shoulder blow the whistle--LET THEM PLAY!  at least, a little

He even tried to get one of the fans removed.  Rabbit ears aren't good trait for an official

I couldn't make it to the game on Wednesday, so I only know about the technical fouls from this thread, but you never know what might have been said after the bumping incident that led to the T. Maybe it was a case of an over zealous ref calling the tech, but if the bump was a mutual confrontation by the two players, and the refs were letting that go, it is possible that there might have been a choice word or two after the physical exchange that drew the tech. The second tech, from what I've read, was a no brainer for what was yelled.

I couldn't make it to the game on Wednesday, so I only know about the technical fouls from this thread, but you never know what might have been said after the bumping incident that led to the T. Maybe it was a case of an over zealous ref calling the tech, but if the bump was a mutual confrontation by the two players, and the refs were letting that go, it is possible that there might have been a choice word or two after the physical exchange that drew the tech. The second tech, from what I've read, was a no brainer for what was yelled.

Jay Brown apologized for the Tech in a Bmt. Enterprise article this morning.  I did not hear his say anything, nor have I ever heard him say anything that would get him a technical foul.  However, he is a mature player and takes responsibility for the altercation that led to the technical.  By the way, the Enterprise article is very good and I have even more respect for Jay Brown knowing the circumstances of his childhood.

I believe Roccaforte would also take responsibility for the tech he received.  He clearly hollered several magic words including the f word at the ref.  I heard it and everybody sitting near me heard it, including the 4 year old on the front row.  He needs to lead his team by example.  If he can't control his emotions he can't expect his players to control their emotions.

Now it is time to put this game behind us and get a win tonight.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43