PN-G's new coach.... How long will the honeymoon last??

Guest KHS 89

I'm just going to put this out there.  Is anyone else surprised that PN-G has chosen someone that has no previous ties to the school, district or area? I mean don't get me wrong... I think that is what is needed at PN-G.  But how long until we start reading posts about this coach not "understanding the tradition" at PN-G.  People in PN-G are tough on coaches and will be quick to form opinions.  I hope this new guy will be known for the coach that came in town and led the Indians back to their winning ways.

I also hope that people have patience and give this guy a chance to make necessary changes and remember to pick your battles..............

It was imperative that they got someone that had no ties to the district.  The two named here had fit that mold.

I think of a couple of coaches at PN-G that did not have ties to the program before coaching there.  One was Danny Malone, I believe Doug Ethridge was another (came from TJ).

I think the PNG "faithful" will be patient and understanding of Coach Faircloth.....its been a very, very long time since we have had excitement and looked this forward to even off season.  Coach Faircloth has already won the hearts of many NDN fans and I feel we will be there with much support.  That being said, it will  be others, outside of our district, that will be so critical and will be waiting for Coach Faircloth to fail.  I hate to say it, but thats how it is.  I've already read negative posts on here concerning him before he is even here.  Could it be fear, jealousy, who knows. Wheneve a new coach comes to town, whether it be PNG, LCM, Central, whoever, we as 20-4a should come together as a district and make them feel welcome and support them in their endeavors.  I know this is an opinion board and EVERYONE has one, including myself, but I think we need to lay off the coaches, let them do the best job they can, and be supportive.  As far as the "honeymoon", it will last...just like in a marriage, as long as the communication is there, and the fire is continually flamed, it will last.....PNG...........Honor.............Pride.............Tradition......"Priceless" !

as long as he wins a district championship next year he'll have nothing to worry about.  ;D

seriously, though, if he comes in and shows any sort of improvement next season i'm sure he'll be accepted, but he has to turn that improvement into playoff appearances pretty quickly or i don't think he'll last too long.

Good post NDNWarrior, there is definitely a lot of excitement in the community. The school board and hiring committee did exactly what one of them told me they were going to do.They did a good job, they hired the best fit for us and the masters requirement contrary to the beliefs of some did not hurt. I have read too some posts referring to hiring someone with no HC experience, because that is the only thing they can find to criticize with Coach Faircloth.  And you are correct I have seen NONE of these posts from the PNG fans, only outsiders.

I think the fact that he came from Permian, should give some of you an indication of how "tradition enriched" this coach can be. If there is one other program in this state that is more storied and rich in tradition than PN-G, it has to be Odessa Permian. I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it, I think he'll "get it." I believe ya'll got the best coach for the job.

I was going to make that point as well 82! Not only has he coached at Permian, but Highland Park as well. If I am not mistaken, isn't HP the winningest HS football program in the state of Texas. Loads of tradition in the Scotts program. He also coached at Westlake who has developed a pretty rich, but young tradition of wining as well. And then you top that all off with the fact that he graduated from and played for Brownwood which has a very rich history as well. I think this guy will get it! He will understand what purple pride is about and he will use it to his advantage.

I keep reading about PNG's ''Tradition''. I was just wondering when that point in time occurred? Was it when it was PN, or after you added the G? Does it take 5 years...10? When can any of the rest of the teams around here claim to have tradition? This is a serious question and one I have no answer for.

Guest Brubaker

PNG tradition comes from their state championships and their historically good following.  However, as folks have learned quickly, tradition don't win football games.  Players win football games.  I wish all the best for Faircloth, and I'm sure the enthusiasm will be contagious and may win a few games, but he will only be as good as the tools he has to work with.  Not that PNG doesn't have any players, but I seriously question if the ones he has are suited for the spread type offense he plans to run.  Nederland made a conscious decision to go to the spread, given their personnel, they didn't do it on a whim or because that was their scheme.  Trust me, if a Micah Mosely were walking the halls, Nederland would be outta the spread and back in the I to play a more pro-style offense.

Well if you had been paying attention, you would know that Faircloth does not run the spread! He actually runs the ball quite a bit more than he passes. This past year Permian threw 290 times for 2700 yards and ran 475 times for 3500 yards.

And the tradition comments are with respect to the expectations at PNG. And answer me this, When has PNG ever had top of the line talent? Ever? Sure we have had a few very talented young men, but never the talent of PA or Central and Ozen across the board, but PNG has enough talent to work with in an inovative offense.

And the tradition comments are with respect to the expectations at PNG. And answer me this, When has PNG ever had top of the line talent? Ever? Sure we have had a few very talented young men, but never the talent of PA or Central and Ozen across the board, but PNG has enough talent to work with in an inovative offense.

I agree badndn. I saw PNG play in the playoffs in 1974. They had a good team that was outmanned at almost every position. Their line consisted of several 160's pounders. I don't think anyone on the team weighed over 200 pounds. The reason they were successful was because they had good coaching and played as a team.

Till MCM :)

Very good timeframe! Gonna be tough to keep a honeymoon alive when you drop your first 4 years straight to big ned.... ;D ;) ;) ;) on a more serious note, I hope the guy comes in and does a great job, if not, I'd say the honeymoon lasts about as long as the PNG scoreboard stays on after a Nederland win....not long ;D ;D

Very good timeframe! Gonna be tough to keep a honeymoon alive when you drop your first 4 years straight to big ned.... ;D ;) ;) ;) on a more serious note, I hope the guy comes in and does a great job, if not, I'd say the honeymoon lasts about as long as the PNG scoreboard stays on after a Nederland win....not long ;D ;D

I have a feeling the PNG scoreboard at The Reservation this year, will be on for a looooonnnnnnngggg time after the game as the NDN's send the dawgs back to their dogpound!     ;D  Gotta love MCM!!!

I think the good folks in PN and G are just happy that Coach Spell will now have to actually work the week of MCM!  ;D

I keep reading about PNG's ''Tradition''. I was just wondering when that point in time occurred? Was it when it was PN, or after you added the G? Does it take 5 years...10? When can any of the rest of the teams around here claim to have tradition? This is a serious question and one I have no answer for.

Maybe when you win twenty in a row????

This thing will last good until the good ole boys get restless.  Faircloth is bringing Joe Dale Carey as his DC from Aledo.  He will also be looking to replace up to 4 other coaches at all levels.  Especially at the middle school levels.  Word is he wants to bring a WR and QB coach as well.  He has full authority from the school board to do so. Might not all happen from year 1 but eventually it will go down.  As a few posts read earlier some need to go and others need to be motivated.  Everyone must remember Malone came in under the same situation, but only lasted 2 years.  The natives were crying from day one, so get ready because as many people that want Fairclothe, the good ole boys still want the current  staff. I think everyone knows at least one coach and they must all make up there minds to buy into his system.  And as we all know at the end of the year not only were we losing, but it has been said publicly by the old staff we just had ZERO talent.  So I think a change of heart is needed.

This thing will last good until the good ole boys get restless.  Faircloth is bringing Joe Dale Carey as his DC from Aledo.  He will also be looking to replace up to 4 other coaches at all levels.  Especially at the middle school levels.  Word is he wants to bring a WR and QB coach as well.  He has full authority from the school board to do so. Might not all happen from year 1 but eventually it will go down.  As a few posts read earlier some need to go and others need to be motivated.  Everyone must remember Malone came in under the same situation, but only lasted 2 years.  The natives were crying from day one, so get ready because as many people that want Fairclothe, the good ole boys still want the current  staff. I think everyone knows at least one coach and they must all make up there minds to buy into his system.  And as we all know at the end of the year not only were we losing, but it has been said publicly by the old staff we just had ZERO talent.  So I think a change of heart is needed.

I read Aledo went 11-1. They lost in the 2nd round to Everman 24-7. They beat Stephenville 24-20

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo