Barbers Hill Pitching

Does Barbers Hill Have The Pitching To Make It To The Playoffs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Does Barbers Hill Have The Pitching To Make It To The Playoffs?

• yes they do
    • no they dont

I think that the new barbers hill pitchers this year will throw just fine.

You Have: Jay Burdett, Sr. throwing high eighty's

Alex Rocha,  Sr. throwing high eighty's

Matt Peterson, Sr. throwing mid to high eighty's

and you have Daniel Mitchell, Jr. throwing mid to high eighty's

Tony Carmona, Sr. could also chip in to bitch as well as Jared Baker, Sr. and Blayne McDonald, Jr.

Well if you have 4 guys legit "high 80's" meaning i supose 87-89 then you should win the region as you are likely the only team to have this.  I know of no others who are even bosting of 2 like this.

You are correct--I would like to know if that high eighties is on a gun---Dayton has one at 89 and one at 85 and I consider us lucky

Well if you have 4 guys legit "high 80's" meaning i supose 87-89 then you should win the region as you are likely the only team to have this.  I know of no others who are even bosting of 2 like this.

You are correct--I would like to know if that high eighties is on a gun---Dayton has one at 89 and one at 85 and I consider us lucky

[/quote Glad to know we are going to see some good pitching in the district. Floating tators won't get you ready for the playoffs.Can't wait to see your best.It's going to be a exciting year.

Tony Carmona, Sr. could also chip in to censored as well as Jared Baker, Sr. and Blayne McDonald, Jr.

Don't forget, you've always got the "Rocket" if you get in a bind!

Tony Carmona, Sr. could also chip in to censored as well as Jared Baker, Sr. and Blayne McDonald, Jr.

Don't forget, you'll always got the "Rocket" if you get in a bind!

Noboby throws the high heat better!

RIP09 hopefully we do not get in that kind of a bind. Does anybody know how shooter1709 IS a fly ball hit him in the head today. But dont worry the ball was ok

Peterson could easily be the leader on the hill if he wants to be he has the talent

Burdett nobody works harder if he can stay focused he is there also

Rocha throws the ball hard when he keeps it down he can be tough

Mitchell looked good throwing for the Varsity at baseball USA would make a good relief man

Baker and McDonald could also fill in

Carmona has not thrown much in the last few years and is better suited to stay at ss

Guest shooter1709

RIP09 hopefully we do not get in that kind of a bind. Does anybody know how shooter1709 IS a fly ball hit him in the head today. But dont worry the ball was ok

HA HA HA you so funny mustang  ::) and it was the wrist  :'(

HA HA HA you so funny mustang  ::) and it was the wrist  :'(

glad your ok we do not need any injuries

Byrd still humming for BH hitters

By Dave Rogers

Published February 8, 2009

Barbers Hill is reconstructing its pitching staff this spring after having four of last year’s hurlers sign college scholarships.

But maybe the Eagles’ most important pitcher is back for his 15th season, assistant coach Jackie Byrd.

Every day at practice, Byrd pitches an hour of batting practice to Eagle hitters and he does it an age – 61 -- when most of his peers have retired to the sofa.

“I don’t know,†he said when asked the secret to his longevity. “I’ve just been blessed. There’s probably nothing in my arm to hurt.

“But since I was a kid I’ve just always liked to throw. My wife figured out once that I’ve thrown 10,000 pitches a year.â€

Byrd, a part-time teacher and coach at Barbers Hill, is in his 39th year of coaching, having taught baseball, basketball and football. He was the defensive coordinator and secondary coach for the Eagles’ football team for many years until recently shifting to coach the defensive line.

He is a former Baytown Lee coach who was an assistant there to longtime Ganders baseball coach Gary Herrington.

“I’ve been throwing batting practice for probably 25 years,†he said. “I missed one year in all that time, when I was at Lee and I had something wrong with my upper arm and couldn’t throw at all that year.

“My son played baseball in high school and college and I threw year-round then. The last three or four years, I didn’t throw year-round, but as a secondary coach, I’d throw a football all the time.â€

Byrd’s right arm is a valuable part of Barbers Hill’s traditionally strong baseball program.

Especially since the Eagles’ younger head coach Gil Stalbaum has been unable to pitch BP.

“I’ve had a frozen shoulder the last two years,†Stalbaum said. “I think some time this year I’ll be able to throw BP again.â€

Every high school baseball program has one electric pitching machine – and often several more -- at its disposal. But Stalbaum, like most coaches, believes hitters need to learn to follow the ball released from a pitcher’s hand, to time their swings by observing a pitcher’s arm motion.

“We only use the machine to throw curveballs in the cages,†Stalbaum said, referring to Barbers Hill’s covered hitting tunnels.

Paul Lindig, another AARP-eligible part-time coach at 58, has been helping Byrd with the batting practice hurling for the past six years.

“I watched the Major League home run hitting contest a while back and there was some guy out there throwing that was 72,†Lindig said. “I figure if that guy can still do it ...â€

Lindig and Byrd started throwing a baseball around right after Thanksgiving to get their arms in shape for the season. The Eagles head coach likes their stuff.

“If they ever decided to retire, my first priority would be to get a guy that could throw a bunch of batting practice,†Stalbaum said. “They are an integral part of my program.â€

Over the years, Byrd says, he has made allowances for his age.

“I started throwing from the mound in 1974,†he said. “Now I’ve moved up about halfway.

“And what’s kept me out here is this,†he said, reaching out and tapping the tall “L screen†protective netting that all BP pitchers employ for safety these days.

“When I started, they didn’t have this and I got hit in the stomach with a line drive one day. I also got hit in the head once and they say that’s what’s wrong with me now.â€

Lindig says there are two rules to be a successful batting practice pitcher.

“You’ve got to be able to throw strikes,†he said, “and you’ve got to be able to duck.â€

Jake Ponder, the Eagles’ senior catcher, said he and his teammates consider the coaches who pitch their batting practice special.

“When we see other teams, we see 30- and 40-year-olds throwing BP to them, and when their kids see us taking BP from 60- and 58-year-olds, they think it’s funny.

“It’s pretty neat to us. It shows us how much they love the game and how much they like being around us.â€

It must be love that causes Stalbaum to issue Byrd a new jersey number each year. It’s his age. Last year, Byrd wore No. 60. When he breaks out the new duds this year, it will be No. 61.

Byrd doesn’t mind.

“I hope he gets to keep changing it,†he said.

Whoa...slow down there Bama....4 in the high eighty's...don't think so.

Burditt will "touch"/"top out at" 87, Rocha may "touch' 86, Peterson and Mitchell ..83-86.

Big difference btw. throwing in the high eighty's and touching 87 a time or two per game.

I'm not knocking BH pitching...I think they will do just fine this year. Having 4 guys on a 4A squad throwing low to mid eighty's ain't bad.

Whoa...slow down there Bama....4 in the high eighty's...don't think so.

Burditt will "touch"/"top out at" 87, Rocha may "touch' 86, Peterson and Mitchell ..83-86.

Big difference btw. throwing in the high eighty's and touching 87 a time or two per game.

I'm not knocking BH pitching...I think they will do just fine this year. Having 4 guys on a 4A squad throwing low to mid eighty's ain't bad.

I agree the pitching is good all can hit mid 80s and with solid defense and offense this team should be fine

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou