LU will spend $25,869,201 on the new field house and stadium renovations!!

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Notes from a special called board of regents meeting on December 15, 2008:

2008-90 LU: Authorization to add women’s bowling and women’s swimming if

needed to comply with Title IX

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, it was ordered that the president

of Lamar University be authorized to add women’s bowling and women’s swimming to the

Department of Athletics if and as required to comply with Title IX and as funding permits.

2008-91 LU: Approval of the Design Development documents for the construction

of a New Soccer Field and a new Field House for Soccer and Future Softball

program

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard with all Regents voting aye, it is

ordered that the Design Development documents for the New Soccer Field and New

Soccer/Softball Field House at Lamar University, and the total project budget for both projects

combined of $3,724920, are approved.

2008-92 LU: Approval of the Design Development documents for the Renovation of

Cardinal Stadium and Replacement of Higgins Fieldhouse

Upon motion of Regent Wilkinson, seconded by Regent Dudley with all Regents voting aye, it is

ordered that: the Design Development documents for the Renovation of Cardinal Stadium and

Replacement of Higgins Fieldhouse at Lamar University, and the total project budget of

$25,869,201, are approved.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBS????

FBS????

Must be FBS. Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Bowling = FBS. FCS doesn't need so many women's sports...

Guest coachacola

I wonder who stated the renovated stadium and athletic complex would cost about $25 million.   ;)

Rim, you're right.  Here's the quote from October last year:

I've been pretty quite but if Lamar spends more than $25 million on the stadium there will be expansion made. There are some BIG TIME DONORS who Coach Tubbs and Dr Simmons are talking with about naming rights.

So, right now until we see the plans I wouldn't say Lamar will not expand Cardinal Stadium. It is a possibility but not a probability.

Guest coachacola

I'm trying to imagine what $25 million will buy....

Well, for a little over $17 million Texas State is doing this to Bobcat Stadium. I don't think this involves adding more seats, just putting in suites and a new facade.  Their stadium hold about 15,000 so I think this drawing makes it look bigger than what it actually will be.

TxSt-exterior_Page_2.jpg

I would bet that at least half of the $25 million will go towards the athletic complex, so that leaves maybe $12 million for the stadium.  Since they need new turf ($1 million?), new score board and video ($1 million or more), seats, bathrooms, concession stands, luxury suites, etc., I doubt they'll be adding any seats, but I could be wrong.  They just need to release the design documents so we can stop guessing on this.

Must be FBS. Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Bowling = FBS. FCS doesn't need so many women's sports...

Perhaps you guys are reading too much into this...?

Perhaps an attempt to save your men's tennis program while adding football? SHSU will have ALL of the programs listed and currently at Lamar sans men's tennis and women's swimming/diving. Seems swimming/diving is what will allow LU to retain men's tennis.

I think they said $7 million towards the fieldhouse. So that leaves $18 million for the stadium, which is not enough

to expand the stadium considering all other expenses.

1. New seats

2. re-enforce stadium structure

3. lights

4. turf

5. video board

6. suites and press box

7. practice field

8. parking

9. concession

10. restrooms

For another $13 million, Lamar could bowl the stadium. 12,000 seats on the south endzone and 3,000 seats on the north endzone.

LU is wasting a one time opportunity.

Perhaps you guys are reading too much into this...?

Perhaps an attempt to save your men's tennis program while adding football? SHSU will have ALL of the programs listed and currently at Lamar sans men's tennis and women's swimming/diving. Seems swimming/diving is what will allow LU to retain men's tennis.

No, Lamar only needed Softball, soccer, and Swimming for football. Bowling is not needed unless LU is planning a FBS.

No, Lamar only needed Softball, soccer, and Swimming for football. Bowling is not needed unless LU is planning a FBS.

You check the Title IX numbers in Beaumont?  Perhaps the amount of females are rising...?

LU will add bowling first, followed by swimming. Bowling is being added around SLC right now and is the next sport.

Of course, this does not include SAND VOLLEYBALL -- which is going to become what XC is to track and field for volleyball. SLC is already mandating teams play sand volleyball in the spring. That sport will help some schools with Title IX.

Guest coachacola

I think they said $7 million towards the fieldhouse. So that leaves $18 million for the stadium, which is not enough

to expand the stadium considering all other expenses.

1. New seats

2. re-enforce stadium structure

3. lights

4. turf

5. video board

6. suites and press box

7. practice field

8. parking

9. concession

10. restrooms

For another $13 million, Lamar could bowl the stadium. 12,000 seats on the south endzone and 3,000 seats on the north endzone.

LU is wasting a one time opportunity.

The original document from last year had $18 million for basic stadium renovations, including $7.5 million for the south end zone facility complex.  The rest of that money would go towards field turf, new concession stands, bathrooms, fees, etc.  The optional items included $500,000 for the Athletic Administration Suite, $1.8 million for the VIP Suites, and $2.2 million for the Club Room. That's a total of $21 million.  Where's the extra $5 million going to go?  Probably some of that will get eaten by inflation, but I bet they can add end zone seats for a few million more.

• 1 month later...

FBS????

As you add 63 football scholarships, you will have to fund a near like amount of womens scholarships as well.

Recommend getting your head out of the polluted FBS clouds where the likes of La-Lafayette and Monroe float around all drunk on toxic air and just concentrate on a solid FCS team that can get a reputation for having a winning program for a few years.

If you don't have 20 Million to spend on Athletics, FBS will just be a bad joke of a dream.

It might be a tight fit, but one way of hiding the blank white wall of the Montagne would be to slide the football field south and put the atheltic building and the suites against the south wall of the building, then tie the two buildings together on the bottom floor.  This would make it much easier to share weight rooms and training facilities.  Save the school long term costs of maintaining separate facilities.

Ok, lets do the math.

1,000,000 = new turf

1,000,000 = replace all 17,000 seats

1,000,000 = concession and restrooms

7,000,000 = new fieldhouse

2,000,000 = new parking lot and expansion

1,000,000 = practice field

1,000,000 = lights

-----------------------

what of the remaining $12,000,000?

$12,000,000 could buy the curve bowl section with suites on top....

Ok, lets do the math.

1,000,000 = new turf

1,000,000 = replace all 17,000 seats

1,000,000 = concession and restrooms

7,000,000 = new fieldhouse

1,000,000 = lights

-----------------------

what of the remaining $12,000,000?

$12,000,000 could buy the curve bowl section with suites on top....

I doubt it'll be that cheap for some of those things, especially with the economy how it is.

Guest coachacola

Cost estimates from a year ago:

1,340,000 = new turf

1,500,000 = replace all 17,000 seats

2,000,000 = concession and restrooms

7,250,000 = new fieldhouse

1,400,000 = lights

4,400,000 = suites and club room

-----------------------

x 5% inflation