The SLC question remains

UNLV

Will the SLC move up to FBS or will LU, Texas st, and UTSA need to find new homes.

I doubt more than half of the SLC can or want to move up. And LU will need a swimming conference

or become part of a swimming conference as a swimming member only conference.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola

I think it's too early to know the answer to this.  The moratorium that prevents teams from moving from FCS to FBS ends in 2011, and UTSA doesn't even play their first game until 2011.  I think you can probably include Central Arkansas in wanting to go FBS, although they are still transitioning to D1 and they need a lot of facility upgrades.

There's La Tech out of place in the WAC, so they could switch conferences.  Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Jacksonville State are wanting to go FBS so they'll need to find a home. I think there's probably going to be a new FBS conference popping up sometime around 2012 made up of former SLC schools along with some eastern Sunbelt schools and maybe some of these other schools.

UNLV - it's hard to announce when no one knows what will come at the end of the moratorium.

And I've said it once, I'll say it again - SHSU's President refuses to play third fiddle and watch BOTH TXST and LU make the move without us. Our basketball and softball/baseball facilities are better (or equal) to than at least half, if not more of the Sun Belt facilities. Only upgrade needed is football stadium and it'd honestly not take much to top Arkansas State or ULM, among other stadiums I've seen.

UNLV - it's hard to announce when no one knows what will come at the end of the moratorium.

And I've said it once, I'll say it again - SHSU's President refuses to play third fiddle and watch BOTH TXST and LU make the move without us. Our basketball and softball/baseball facilities are better (or equal) to than at least half, if not more of the Sun Belt facilities. Only upgrade needed is football stadium and it'd honestly not take much to top Arkansas State or ULM, among other stadiums I've seen.

Nobody here cares what SHSU President thinks. If SHSU wants to join us in FBS, fine. But I am having my doubts about SHSU.

Show some proof or at least some hints.

LU is wasting its time and money if it plays more than 2 years FCS....

What a joke!

Get back with us when you actually beat McNeese in football...or at the very least, actually turn into 10% of what you once were in men's hoops. ::)

LU dropping football made Mcneese football, LU re-starting football will break Mcneese football...as well as SHSU below average football

program. The SLC might as well just give us our 2011 trophy now....

LU dropping football made Mcneese football, LU re-starting football will break Mcneese football...as well as SHSU below average football  program. The SLC might as well just give us our 2011 trophy now....

I've seen both sides of the argument and I have a hard time believing that LU's departure really "made" McN football...if anything, it allowed other schools to take the Cards spot at the bottom of the conference standings, as Lamar is the "all-time cellar dweller" of SLC football.

LU dropping football made Mcneese football, LU re-starting football will break Mcneese football...as well as SHSU below average football  program. The SLC might as well just give us our 2011 trophy now....

I've seen both sides of the argument and I have a hard time believing that LU's departure really "made" McN football...if anything, it allowed other schools to take the Cards spot at the bottom of the conference standings, as Lamar is the "all-time cellar dweller" of SLC football.

How many southland football conferences championship won by SHSU?  How many by LU?

Terror is just scared that his beloved Bearkats will get stuck playing JV ball while LU moves on.... sorry terror... shsu will not leave when LU leaves.. it will probably be 5 to 10 years later... they have always been trying to play catch up with the big brother LU...

just wanted to rile you up a little terror..

How many southland football conferences championship won by SHSU?  How many by LU?

LU: 3 in 22 years

SHSU: 3 in 21 years

Last place finishes:

LU 6 <--- most in league history

SFA 5

TXST 4

SHSU 2

McN 1 <--- 1987

HOW many totally? 

and after you dodge that question, tell us how many times SHSU football beat a I-A/FBS top 25 team?

Terror is just scared that his beloved Bearkats will get stuck playing JV ball while LU moves on.... sorry terror... shsu will not leave when LU leaves.. it will probably be 5 to 10 years later... they have always been trying to play catch up with the big brother LU...

just wanted to rile you up a little terror..

LU stop playing football for 20 years. That is like sleeping under a tree for 20 years yet SHSU still couldn't catch up.

Hey Terror, could you remind this forum of the score the last time SHSU met LU on the football field?

]HOW many totally?  and after you dodge that question, tell us how many times SHSU football beat a I-A/FBS top 25 team?

I gave you the total amounts...  ???

And are you going to tell me about your 1981 win over a 5-6 Baylor team that started the year ranked after winning the SWC the year before? UNLV, reliving the yesteryears...you do the same think with Jerry Tarkanian's bunch at UNLV?

And yes, UNLV -- LU won the last battle, but SHSU was 13-8-1 with many of those wins by LU coming when you were a 'class' above us. Heck, some of our wins came when we were not on the same "level" as you blokes.

Guest coachacola

UNLV, how dare start a thread in the LU forum and not mention SHSU.  You know Terror doesn't like that!  ::)

Really Terror, I don't think anyone here cares what SHSU does.  We're just pondering the future of the SLC.  Do you actually have to bring up SHSU in every thread here?

Do you actually have to bring up SHSU in every thread here?

I'll answer the question for him, and yes he does have to. But you can't hate him for being a fan. LU has already won a few recruiting battles this year with Sam and it seems your favorite Coach Woodard is doing things that Todd Whitten can't do at Sam. Hope that translates to some results in W column for Lamar once we start playing.

]HOW many totally?  and after you dodge that question, tell us how many times SHSU football beat a I-A/FBS top 25 team?

I gave you the total amounts...  ???

And are you going to tell me about your 1981 win over a 5-6 Baylor team that started the year ranked after winning the SWC the year before? UNLV, reliving the yesteryears...you do the same think with Jerry Tarkanian's bunch at UNLV?

And yes, UNLV -- LU won the last battle, but SHSU was 13-8-1 with many of those wins by LU coming when you were a 'class' above us. Heck, some of our wins came when we were not on the same "level" as you blokes.

Your countings skills are very weak. Must be a SHSU thing.

I'm just pointing out that even with LU taking a 20 year break, LU football still shine brighter than SHSU. Now what was that score the last time LU

played SHSU?  Also post the score the last time LU played Mcneese.

I bet anyone he will dodge again. Or find some meaningless SHSU fact, then use that date as a cut off date.

The SLC will not go FBS as a whole -- the La. schools are hurting fiscally much more than the Texas schools -- much of which can be blamed on the state government in the Pelican State, which really did not plan well fiscally for the cost of oil.

Your countings skills are very weak. Must be a SHSU thing.

Counting skills are weak? View the all-time series right here...13-8-1 in favor of SHSU with the Bearkats leading the series despite playing a level or FEW below (we were in NAIA for a good while).

This is the hidden content, please

I'm just pointing out that even with LU taking a 20 year break, LU football still shine brighter than SHSU. Now what was that score the last time LU played SHSU?  Also post the score the last time LU played Mcneese.

LU 41-0 over SHSU in Sept. 1989.

McN 19-8-1 over LU. Another school with some dominance over the Cards...LU won 22-17. Oddly enough, in both cases, the Cards ended a four or six-game losing streak against their foes.

Perhaps if LU was not getting it handed to them by their rivals (SHSU, McN) over the few year period before 1989 - LU would not be reflecting back on their 1981 win over Baylor for the last 27, 28 years. Of course, LU has had basketball for years since their last glory and a few of you guys just talk about those glory days -- so nothing changes.

I bet anyone he will dodge again. Or find some meaningless SHSU fact, then use that date as a cut off date.

No I doubt that it was us getting handled by our rival McNeese or La- Lafayette... that our program was cancelled... It was poor leadership... poor area recruiting... and well poor opponents such as us playing Sam as a NAIA school that ruined our program...

We need to go FBS... bottom line... and I beleive that it will happen soon...

No I doubt that it was us getting handled by our rival McNeese or La- Lafayette... that our program was cancelled... It was poor leadership... poor area recruiting... and well poor opponents such as us playing Sam and NAIA school that ruined our program...

We need to go FBS... bottom line... and I beleive that it will happen soon...

I agree. We should be leaving SHSU behind in the jv league in a few years. I hear Tarleton st can join SHSU in the slc.

Terror needs to get familiar with Tarleton forum so he can tell them all SHSU has done since cut-off date 2003...

What a joke!

Get back with us when you actually beat McNeese in football...or at the very least, actually turn into 10% of what you once were in men's hoops. ::)

LU dropping football made Mcneese football, LU re-starting football will break Mcneese football...as well as SHSU below average football

program. The SLC might as well just give us our 2011 trophy now....

LOL  you can put the 2011 SLC football trophy up there on the mantel with the ten straight SLC basketball titles that Lamar thought that would win when they rejoined the SLC in 1999.

How many SE Texas guys did McNeese State sign this year? None, that is just the start of many years to come.

So what? Is that going to translate to SLC dominance? I'm sure they'll be back in the area next year if they really want to pound the pavement and once the SETX area people see LU get outdrawn (and beat) at Cardinal Stadium by the Pokes, that may make a difference. Figure McNeese will outdraw the Cards, especially for games in November if the weather drops lower than 60 degrees.

Looking at their signees, they had MORE success in terms of quality of player in the Houston area than any team in the SLC. From my recollection, there tends to be more Div I players in the Houston area than SETX. McNeese out-recruited several regional FBS programs IMO and I am sure that's an opinion shared by people who are more in the know than I.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43