lamar baseball vs columbia

lu cards

NAIA isn't NCAA though. NCAA is way tougher than NAIA.

What about in the 60s? Dare you check who SHSU was beating back then, in baseball and basketball? I've heard stories of who was unwilling to play us too. One of those years in the 1960s, SHSU had more players drafted to the NBA than UCLA.

I don't think the "way tougher" adage was too accurate, though I can see where based on MFFL's lifetime, you may think so.

What about football? Why did Lamar, after losing two games in the early 1960s to an NAIA SHSU team, not schedule us for another decade, despite being Division I? Of course, that 1971 team beat the Cards too. ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did check who won the NAIA before I posted.

1960 Whitworth (Wash.) 4-0 Georgia Southern

1961 East Carolina (N.C.) 13-7 Sacramento State (Calif.)

1962 Georgia Southern 2-0 Portland State (Ore.)

1963 Sam Houston State (Texas) 2-1 Grambling (La.)

1964 West Liberty State (W.Va.) 3-2 Grambling (La.)

1965 Carson-Newman (Tenn.) 3-2 Nebraska-Omaha

1966 Linfield (Ore.) 15-4 Lewis (Ill.)

1967 New Mexico Highlands 6-1 Glassboro State (N.J.)

1968 William Jewell (Mo.) 4-3 (13) Georgia Southern

1969 William Carey (Miss.) 5-3 La Verne (Calif.)

I don't see how any of these schools should scare a decent NCAA team.

Now Terror, stop living in the past!!   :D

Trying to explain NAIA vs NCAA back in the day. Things have obviously changed a great deal, but there were definitely some NAIAs that could take it to NCAAs...

I'm still curious if the "gray hairs" will dare venture out into the elements for football. You got enough suites for the majority of the LU fan base to stay inside?

Are you obsessed with Lamar?

If you get a chance, frequent your way out of the LU message board...you'll see I'm a big Southland guy full and through. Truly not of the UNLV bloodline, one that has to badmouth the conference and even have a "confused" name in which my allegiance is perplexing.

Are you obsessed with Lamar?

If you get a chance, frequent your way out of the LU message board...you'll see I'm a big Southland guy full and through. Truly not of the UNLV bloodline, one that has to badmouth the conference and even have a "confused" name in which my allegiance is perplexing.

Yet he was slobbering happy with leaving the SLC when someone mentioned SHSU and FBS in the same sentence.

Yet he was slobbering happy with leaving the SLC when someone mentioned SHSU and FBS in the same sentence.

Incorrect. If SHSU goes FBS, I will not be happy -- especially with the current format of the subdivision with their lack of playoffs and not everyone having a seat at the table.

Incorrect. If SHSU goes FBS, I will not be happy -- especially with the current format of the subdivision with their lack of playoffs and not everyone having a seat at the table.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. You said that before you drooled over the SHSU/FBS talk, now you're back to this. I'm sure you will flip-flop

again when/if SHSU brings up the subject again. Although I would support SHSU staying FCS where they belong....

Hey Terror, Who won the Southland East Div. last year??  Oh, yeah, Lamar. 

We all know the West Division is tougher -- see Lamar's results in basketball.  ;D

And who won the SLC baseball tournament last year, ending any chance Lamar had of going to the NCAAs? "Oh, yeah, SHSU."

He is the definition of a "Troll".

No - unlike "trolls", I make it very well known who I support and don't pretend to be a Cardinals fan, despite allegiances to the Cougars or Runnin' Rebels...  :o

I'm sure SHSU is better than the UNLV too....

Last I checked - UNLV was in a conference that desires to be a mid-major (according a recent article in the San Jose Mercury News) and are not ready to be on the same level level as the "haves".

I see now why you like both UNLV and Lamar. Both have similar thinking - not willing to be at the "have" level.

Last I checked - UNLV was in a conference that desires to be a mid-major (according a recent article in the San Jose Mercury News) and are not ready to be on the same level level as the "haves".

I see now why you like both UNLV and Lamar. Both have similar thinking - not willing to be at the "have" level.

If I mention UNLV NC years, would that be living in the past?  if so, please entertain us with SHSU record over

the last 7 years 2 months and 5 days...

I wouldn't say UNLV is too bad considering they went to the sweet sixteen 2 years ago I believe and they've been in March Madness year in and year out.

I wouldn't say UNLV is too bad considering they went to the sweet sixteen 2 years ago I believe and they've been in March Madness year in and year out.

Yeah but SHSU went to the tourney 1 time, how can UNLV challenge such greatness.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05