SLC Tourney Begins

And while I have not been following it, looks like SHSU is going to bow out...

Bearkats just can't have the same success that they have at home in the conference tournament. Billy Tubbs in pushing for the neutral site games did something right, took SHSU out of the running. After all, he knew that was his stiffest competition..  ;)

SHSU flops AGAIN in the SLC tourney?  ::)  Who woulda thunk it?? The reality is, this conference needs to reward the REGULAR SEASON champ the AUTOMATIC bid and do away with this stupid tourney. That way, the conference would consistently be represented by the team that had the best SEASON in conference, not the one that gets hot for a few games. There is not a huge difference from top to bottom in the SLC, but it seems like having the best record should get you more than a 1,2, or 3 seed in a tourney for a shot to get smoked in the NCAA as a 15 or 16.

And while I have not been following it, looks like SHSU is going to bow out...

Bearkats just can't have the same success that they have at home in the conference tournament. Billy Tubbs in pushing for the neutral site games did something right, took SHSU out of the running. After all, he knew that was his stiffest competition..  ;)

Oh please, just come sit down with the rest of us losers. We at least saved a few bucks on travel. Ok back to womens bball and top 25 baseball.

Guest coachacola

SFA should win this easily and get a 14 seed in the NCAA tourney and maybe pull an upset.  I hope they don't blow it again and lose to UTSA or Nicholls State.

Guest coachacola

TT, why does SH choke in the tourney each year?

I don't think SHSU chokes each year, I think it has more to do with the parity of the conference.  Coach Marlin can consistently get good recruits and put together a winning team, but he hasn't been able to take his teams to the next level.  That's probably why he's still at SHSU and not moved on to better conference.

TT, why does SH choke in the tourney each year?

I don't think SHSU chokes each year, I think it has more to do with the parity of the conference.  Coach Marlin can consistently get good recruits and put together a winning team, but he hasn't been able to take his teams to the next level.  That's probably why he's still at SHSU and not moved on to better conference.

Are we at LU happy with the fact that in the last ten years we have made one NCAA apperance? The answer is a resounding NO.

Are the good folks in Huntsville happy with the fact that they have made one NCAA appearance in the last ten years? So at what point do you think a program decides that is not good enough and they look to go in a different direction at the top?

LU is 7-5 in the SLC tourney in the last 10 years.

SH is 8-8 in that same time span.

Guest coachacola

SHSU flops AGAIN in the SLC tourney?  ::)  Who woulda thunk it?? The reality is, this conference needs to reward the REGULAR SEASON champ the AUTOMATIC bid and do away with this stupid tourney. That way, the conference would consistently be represented by the team that had the best SEASON in conference, not the one that gets hot for a few games. There is not a huge difference from top to bottom in the SLC, but it seems like having the best record should get you more than a 1,2, or 3 seed in a tourney for a shot to get smoked in the NCAA as a 15 or 16.

I think the top team from each division (#1 SFA in the east, #2 SHSU in the west) should get a first round bye. Then get the next 4 teams play a first round game (#3 Nicholls vs #6 UTSA and #4 TAMU-CC vs #5 UTA).  Get rid of the neutral site, highest seeds get the home games.  Not only do you eliminate 2 mediocre teams right away, but the two best teams can't get upset in the first round, plus home games will help prevent upsets and you have bigger crowds.

Guest coachacola

I think the top team from each division (#1 SFA in the east, #2 SHSU in the west) should get a first round bye. Then get the next 4 teams play a first round game (#3 Nicholls vs #6 UTSA and #4 TAMU-CC vs #5 UTA).  Get rid of the neutral site, highest seeds get the home games.  Not only do you eliminate 2 mediocre teams right away, but the two best teams can't get upset in the first round, plus home games will help prevent upsets and you have bigger crowds.

I don't Coach Marlin would have lasted for 11 years like he has at SHSU.  Consistently putting a good, competitive team on the floor each year is good, but the main goal should be going to the NCAA tourney.

If there were home games in the SLC tournament for the higher-seed, SHSU would have made at least two, if not three NCAA appearances by now and you are right, Marlin probably would have left SHSU.

He's got a good deal. He's the big fish. He's able to recruit decent mid-major talent. Just got a nice donation (or is about to announce it at least). And more importantly, he knows he is making a profound impact on kids' lives because his kids graduate with HIGH marks. He doesn't waste his time on recruits who will not pan out.

If there were home games in the SLC tournament for the higher-seed, SHSU would have made at least two, if not three NCAA appearances by now and you are right, Marlin probably would have left SHSU.

He's got a good deal. He's the big fish. He's able to recruit decent mid-major talent. Just got a nice donation (or is about to announce it at least). And more importantly, he knows he is making a profound impact on kids' lives because his kids graduate with HIGH marks. He doesn't waste his time on recruits who will not pan out.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah...You forgot one thing...He losses in the big one!

I love it when you point out that they graduate. That's great, but how many basketball fans attend graduation? When is not making the big dance no longer satisfying to you?

I love it when you point out that they graduate. That's great, but how many basketball fans attend graduation?

If you knew much about NCAA athletics, you may know a thing about APR. Perhaps Roc's players should not graduate and you guys can feel the pinch of being INELIGIBLE for the postseason and LOSE a few scholarships.

The reason they pushed for the neutral site was for media coverage.  When the games were played on campus the games were never on tv now the Championship game is on ESPN2 every year.

??? ???

Read what Kenny Powers said...

Yeah I know all about the NCAA and their stupid graduation restrictions, but what we are talking about is actual basketball play. Wins and losses.

If you knew much about NCAA athletics, you may know a thing about APR. Perhaps Roc's players should not graduate and you guys can feel the pinch of being INELIGIBLE for the postseason and LOSE a few scholarships.

Would you guys really notice if you were INELIGIBLE for the postseason? ;D

Would you guys really notice if you were INELIGIBLE for the postseason? ;D

Considering since 2000 - we have more SLC tournament appearances than any squad (tied with UTA), we would...not sure LU would notice, since they are not as "regular" as any other team in Texas... ;)

SLC Tournament appearances (Since 2000)

9 — SHSU, UTA

8 — UTSA

7 — SFA, McNeese, NW St., Texas St.

6 — SE La., Lamar

5 — UL-Monroe%

3 — Nicholls St.

2 — A&M-CC#

% — Not a member of the SLC after 2005

# — SLC member since 2007

Congrats on those 9 appearances in the Southland Tourney! ::)  Oh, and also congrats on winning the thing 1 time in those 9 tries! That is a great success rate!  Lamar is 1 for 6 with their tries which still isn't good. So, I guess if success is measured by making the SLC then you guys are in a league of your own.

Funny the games were in Shreveport LONG before Tubbs came back to Lamar.  When they had home court sites I remember McNEESE winning it all NOT SHSU. But hey it it makes you feel better go ahead and keep posting it.

SHSU is 8-0 in SLC tournament games at Johnson Coliseum under Bob Marlin. Simple as that. We do not lose at home when conference tournament games are at home sites.  ;D

And Tubbs was the one who pushed for the SLC to go back to neutral sites, changed the dates to Weds/Sat and plenty of other changes that have unfolded in the SLC over the last few years. He wanted to make this a basketball conference and now he's got football, which should be intriguing to follow what he does now.

Funny the games were in Shreveport LONG before Tubbs came back to Lamar.  When they had home court sites I remember McNEESE winning it all NOT SHSU. But hey it it makes you feel better go ahead and keep posting it.

SHSU is 8-0 in SLC tournament games at Johnson Coliseum under Bob Marlin. Simple as that. We do not lose at home when conference tournament games are at home sites.  ;D

Who cares? Why does it matter now? They don't play games at home... otherwise the ESPN2 broadcast would be in Nac. tomorrow, not Katy. You say oh you stubborn lamar fans "live in past", well either way all of us tend to do it, even yourself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou