For all Dickie V Haters

It is simple..............HJ has had players like that in the past..........key word being HAD!!!!!!  They do ont tollerate that crap and the kids can find another sport to play if they do not play by the rules.  That is the coaches fault if they let that crap continue.

So knowing a kids background and family history, you would really kick a kid off the team that only has basketball to keep him outta trouble? Being a coach you get caught up in sticky situations and who do you protect the program or that kid?

"Protecting the kid" in short run usually does just the opposite over time.  It teaches him that he can get by without conforming and that usually encourages more bad behavior.

by then the kid would be in jail. please stay outta the coaching world...lol..sounds like you rather take care of a program than take care of a kid...good luck...lol

I am not a coach and never will be first of all!!!!!!!!!!!  But the team is my concern first, then the individual players on the team.  One bad apple can spoil the entire basket.  Or one thug can ruin the entire team.  Take it how you want, but if I have a bad apple (regardless of how good he is) then he is GONE!!!!!!!!!!! 

when it come to certain palyers at Ozen. you will not get rid of them. believe me. people of higher poweer wont let it happen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HJ got rid of arguably one of the best players to ever put on a HJ uniform about 10 years ago.  He left and finished his high school career at LCM.  HJ does not tolerate players that feel they are special or should get special treatment.  Tells me the coach does not have a "backbone"..........Pun intented!!!!!!!!

HJ got rid of arguably one of the best players to ever put on a HJ uniform about 10 years ago.  He left and finished his high school career at LCM.  HJ does not tolerate players that feel they are special or should get special treatment.  Tells me the coach does not have a "backbone"..........Pun intented!!!!!!!!

its not about having a back bone its about helping kids. coaches get to caught into winning so much they forget the real reason they became a coach

Listening I think that it is great if that is the mentality that you have. 

You know as well as I do though that the games are what are important.  I do no understand why you can't figure that out.  The kids are important, but how can you or any other coach justify keeping a kid that is nothing but trouble.............even if he is the star of the team.  Just looks bad on your part and the schools part.  IMO any other school in SE Texas would have gotten rid of the player from Ozen this year after what he was arrested for.  Just looks bad for BISD!!!!

Guest spinks

its not about having a back bone its about helping kids. coaches get to caught into winning so much they forget the real reason they became a coach

I understand your point but it is also about teaching young men the difference between right and wrong and if they continue to do wrong and the consequences are not enough to make them change than you the coach are doing the kid an injustice at some point.

You do not respect Silsbee and HJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody thinks that HJ and Silsbee are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as any elite team in the country or state for that matter.  They however are worthy of being in the same breath as the top 3A schools in the state.  As far as coaching goes there is not a better group of coaches in SE TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nobody said they had the best coaching staff in the country or even the state of Texas.  You read and understand what you want to read and then post your biased opinion!!!!!!!! 

if you ask me they arent they're nowhere close to the powerhouses such as ozen, yates, wheatley,oakcliff come on kenny lets be real all these team would run them out the gym so therefore their not being worthy of mention when it comes to elite teams in the state and definetly not the country

your argument is backwards.  if it's not about winning, and it's about helping the kids, you'd let kids go unpunished so that they can continue to play basketball?  you're saying he's too worried about winning because he'd kick a troublemaker off the team??? kicking a kid off the team or suspending him is one of the best things that can happen to a young man going down the wrong path.  if he loves basketball and his team enough, he'll straighten up.  he'll learn that his actions have consequences, and that being 6'9" or having a sweet jumpshot does not make up for acting like a fool off the court.  "helping" a kid by letting him get away with things and keeping him on the team will just reinforce the belief that he is above the rules because he's a good ballplayer. 

Nobody thinks that HJ and Silsbee are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as any elite team in the country or state for that matter.  They however are worthy of being in the same breath as the top 3A schools in the state.  As far as coaching goes there is not a better group of coaches in SE TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nobody said they had the best coaching staff in the country or even the state of Texas.  You read and understand what you want to read and then post your biased opinion!!!!!!!! 

if you ask me they arent they're nowhere close to the powerhouses such as ozen, yates, wheatley,oakcliff come on kenny lets be real all these team would run them out the gym so therefore their not being worthy of mention when it comes to elite teams in the state and definetly not the country

Ozensfinest, I think you misunderstood Kenny's statement. He is saying that HJ and Silsbee SHOULDN'T be mentioned among the tops teams in the country or state. What he is saying is that they SHOULD be considered amongst the top teams in Class 3A in the state. The fact is, that is what all of us has been saying all along. None of us have said that HJ and Silsbee should be included with the Yates and Ozen's as far as overall teams in the state. But what we have argued is that they should be considered in the top 10 of all class 3A teams and that these programs, even though they are 3A ::), are considered some of the best in the state. Nobody is saying that we can compete at the top with these 5A and 4A teams, but they are not also-rans like some have said. An example of that would be Silsbee this season. We lost by one point at Ozen, who was 20-4A district champs, beat Central at Central by 23, who was a playoff team out of that district. Now, I know that this is speculation, but I feel that Silsbee would have done well against Nederland and Livingston as well, if they had played.

Point is, yes we HJ and Silsbee fans love and support our teams and we talk them up here on this messageboard. But, I don't think any of us have claimed state supremacy over these top 4A and 5A teams.

Listening I think that it is great if that is the mentality that you have. 

You know as well as I do though that the games are what are important.  I do no understand why you can't figure that out.  The kids are important, but how can you or any other coach justify keeping a kid that is nothing but trouble.............even if he is the star of the team.  Just looks bad on your part and the schools part.  IMO any other school in SE Texas would have gotten rid of the player from Ozen this year after what he was arrested for.  Just looks bad for BISD!!!!

well they would have to get rid of their leading scorer and leading rebounder cuz they are the trouble,but people wont let that happen

do you consider ozen an elite team now or when it first opened.  Like I said in other post if HJ, Silsbee, Kountze, could combine their teams like magnet Ozen (basically anyone that is good at basketball and wants to go to ozen can) the could compete with Ozen.  Really, shouldn't Ozen win state every year.  Beaumont is a big city 1 5A school and 2 4A school;  Being able to pick the cream of the crop.  Maybe they will make SOC forfeit in 07 to give you guys another title.  To say Ozen is elite,  I just dont see it.  My definition of Elite is PA Lincoln and what they did in 4A. 

Can you read???  I just said that Nobody said they were in the country's elite or even the state's...........but that they are without a doubt in elite in the state in 3A!!!!!!!!!

Guest DickVitale

do you consider ozen an elite team now or when it first opened.  Like I said in other post if HJ, Silsbee, Kountze, could combine their teams like magnet Ozen (basically anyone that is good at basketball and wants to go to ozen can) the could compete with Ozen.  Really, shouldn't Ozen win state every year.  Beaumont is a big city 1 5A school and 2 4A school;  Being able to pick the cream of the crop.  Maybe they will make SOC forfeit in 07 to give you guys another title.  To say Ozen is elite,  I just dont see it.  My definition of Elite is PA Lincoln and what they did in 4A. 

This is the dumbest post in SETXSPORTS.COM history! I will not even correct you....Have a good day, and stay off of those computers in that Special Education lab, son... ::) ::)

The thing is live in the 4A district, and yes Ozen is the best 4A team in the area.  Just want DV to see how dumb some of his comments are.  Yes DV I do support Ozen in the playoffs, matter of fact I support all local teams in all sports.  I have nothing against Ozen just wanted a rise out of Vitale.

the same way you look at ozen is the same way that these other fans look at their teams. HJ, Silsbee, and Kountze are good schools with great fans.  I will say that this year Ozen was having a down year.  Is that because they stopped getting the kids, or talent wasnt what it is used to.  

your argument is backwards.  if it's not about winning, and it's about helping the kids, you'd let kids go unpunished so that they can continue to play basketball?  you're saying he's too worried about winning because he'd kick a troublemaker off the team??? kicking a kid off the team or suspending him is one of the best things that can happen to a young man going down the wrong path.  if he loves basketball and his team enough, he'll straighten up.  he'll learn that his actions have consequences, and that being 6'9" or having a sweet jumpshot does not make up for acting like a fool off the court.  "helping" a kid by letting him get away with things and keeping him on the team will just reinforce the belief that he is above the rules because he's a good ballplayer. 

that is very understandable but what happens when you go to kick him off or suspend a player for a game, the people above you step in and stop it everytime cuz they know what the kid would be doing if he wasnt playing basketball

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05