Jarvis Benard, SR, Hardin-Jefferson

Dominque Bailey, SR, Jasper

Shannon Robinson, SR, Silsbee

Class 2A

Joseph Carrington, SR, New Waverly

JaCoby Ross, SR, Newton

Class A-I

Corey Tolar, SR, Big Sandy

kid is special probably will make it again nxt year for the third year in a row phenominal

Okay, so J.Bernard and a few others make All-State at tiny 3-A Hardin-Jefferson and other 3-A schools. So what does the future hold for this kid now in relation to going to the next level in basketball. Is he D-1 material?

If yes or no, please explain your pros and cons.

I'm curious because I've had two 4-A coaches tell me 4-A and up is better to play in for the exposure and competition.

As much as I think that the kid is great, I do not think that he is D1 material............he is too small.  Not too many 5'8 shooting guards in D1.  He could go JUCO and then onto a decent school, but I just do not see him going anywhere bigger than a JUCO or D2 or D3 school.

As much as I think that the kid is great, I do not think that he is D1 material............he is too small.  Not too many 5'8 shooting guards in D1.  He could go JUCO and then onto a decent school, but I just do not see him going anywhere bigger than a JUCO or D2 or D3 school.

I agree. I feel the same way about Shannon.

Guest DickVitale

Okay, so J.Bernard and a few others make All-State at tiny 3-A Hardin-Jefferson and other 3-A schools. So what does the future hold for this kid now in relation to going to the next level in basketball. Is he D-1 material?

I'm curious because I've had two 4-A coaches tell me 4-A and up is better to play in for the exposure and competition.

I will probably get jumped on for this, but here we go anyway:

Honestly it really does not matter the classification, if the kid has size and can play, he will be seen. Now that is usually the issue in 3A and smaller schools. Kids might be able to play but are just too small for the next level.  You could reasonably say that yeah he may go JUCO, but in reality D-I JUCO would be a far reach as well for some of those kids. People must realize that Junior college basketball at the Division I level is TOUGH.  There are some future pros playing JUCO D-I ball right now.  D-2 and D-3 JUCO ball, and D-2 and D-3 NCAA, are entirely different, for they don't have scholarships to give and rely solely on kids paying their own way and financial assistance.  Those schools are a great option for kids that want to play after high school.  Also, there are many NAIA D-1 schools that offer scholarships that will take a chance on a smaller kid that may have been overlooked.

I will probably get jumped on for this, but here we go anyway:

Honestly it really does not matter the classification, if the kid has size and can play, he will be seen. Now that is usually the issue in 3A and smaller schools. Kids might be able to play but are just too small for the next level.  You could reasonably say that yeah he may go JUCO, but in reality D-I JUCO would be a far reach as well for some of those kids. People must realize that Junior college basketball at the Division I level is TOUGH.  There are some future pros playing JUCO D-I ball right now.  D-2 and D-3 JUCO ball, and D-2 and D-3 NCAA, are entirely different, for they don't have scholarships to give and rely solely on kids paying their own way and financial assistance.  Those schools are a great option for kids that want to play after high school.  Also, there are many NAIA D-1 schools that offer scholarships that will take a chance on a smaller kid that may have been overlooked.

This I can agree upon. But there are always the exceptions.

Good post Dicky.

Guest nostradamus

Actually, I agree with most of your assessment.  However, I don't think size is the main factor in smaller school kids.  I believe it is lack of exposure.  I think that college guys will send their assistants to 4A and 5A games more easily because there is a higher liklihood of more players being in a particular game so it becomes money better spent.  This is why AAU is a necessary evil, especially for smaller school kids.  I also think that a lot of college guys believe there is not as much competition at the smaller school level but, I have always believed that if a kid can play, he can play.  Physical size is an issue but, I don't think it is the biggest problem for small school kids.

Guest spinks

Shannon has a couple of D1 school looking at him already, He's only 17 and has a late summer birthday so he still have time to hit a growth spurt. do not konw about JB

which schools?

Guest stevenash

Hope for the best for him, bu I have a feeling that he and Benard will end up both at a small school............If DV was smart he would have both at LSC-PA!!!!!!

Excuse me, Kenny but are you really saying IF DV was smart?  Where have you been?

Guest tigersvoice

Hope for the best for him, bu I have a feeling that he and Benard will end up both at a small school............If DV was smart he would have both at LSC-PA!!!!!!

There is an oxymoron in this post somewhere.  I'll let Professor Nash point it out.

Guest stevenash

There is an oxymoron in this post somewhere.  I'll let Professor Nash point it out.

My hat is off to you, Tigervoice.

Guest DickVitale

stevenash,

KP's post was not meant as an insult and I didn't take it that way, all he was suggesting is that we take a look at him....grow up.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05