good sign for lu

each year the pompano club puts out a list of members kids and grandkids that are graduating in the pa news.they tell what high school thye go to and what college they will attend.normally ut,atm and other big schools dominate the chooses.what really surprised me was almost all the kids had lamar listed as there college of choice.hopefully this is good indication of the strides lamar is taking.

Guest DickVitale

Nope. Just the economic strain brought on by your FORMER President, that our current president must attempt to correct... ;) Times are tougher, and parents are having kids stay at home at LU to save $$$$$.....Thats all that is....sorry. ::)

Guest coachacola

Nope. Just the economic strain brought on by your FORMER President, that our current president must attempt to correct... ;) Times are tougher, and parents are having kids stay at home at LU to save $$$$$.....Thats all that is....sorry. ::)

Obama's trying to correct Bush's mistakes by making the same mistakes and making even more.  We don't exactly elect the smartest men to be president!

I know along with myself, I have many friends who are staying home at Lamar, everybody is excited about football, and Lamar's academic prestige is climbing up the charts.

Guest coachacola

You must not read very well.  I didn't blame Obama for the mess we're in, I said he's making the same mistakes as Bush and making some of his own mistakes, which isn't helping the economy.  But of course you love to bring up the race issue because without something negative to say you'd be as quiet as a mouse.

Guest DickVitale

I read very well....at least 6th grade level... :D :D..Not to get into politics on this forum, but my answer to the topic was that the rise in local students at LU was not totally based on the incoming football program, but the economy has played a role in that as well....Maybe I CAN read on a 7th grade level after all...I DID attend grad school at LAMAR, ya know!!! :D

I know along with myself, I have many friends who are staying home at Lamar, everybody is excited about football, and Lamar's academic prestige is climbing up the charts.

Man, I love you man-nn! You are always positive. If a piano was about to fall on you, you'd find something positive to say :D

I read very well....at least 6th grade level... :D :D..Not to get into politics on this forum, but my answer to the topic was that the rise in local students at LU was not totally based on the incoming football program, but the economy has played a role in that as well....Maybe I CAN read on a 7th grade level after all...I DID attend grad school at LAMAR, ya know!!! :D

The economy here is feeling a slight pull down, however our economy in SETX is steaming along at a good rate. I have

to say Lamar changing face is behind students staying more than the economy.

I think along with Lamar's higher entrance standard, a community college is needed for those unable to meet Lamar higher standards.

thanks mffl for the reply.i dont appreciate the other bs attached to this.everyone else feel free to delete your posts.thanks.

Guest coachacola

There's nothing wrong with having a little fun on these message boards and stating our different opinions.  That's what this country is about.  And to get back on topic, more and more kids are going to college after high school and they all can't go to UT or Texas A&M.

There's nothing wrong with having a little fun on these message boards and stating our different opinions.  That's what this country is about.  And to get back on topic, more and more kids are going to college after high school and they all can't go to UT or Texas A&M.

sometimes its hard to tell wether or not its just for fun.was hoping this thread would help bring some insight to the future of lu enrollment.i personally think football is going to keep more kids at lu.once they start forming the band and drill team i expect good increases.i also agree the economy plays a small role but not significant.

I disagree with one point of this post. You cannot use the phrase "your former president" then follow it by using the phrase " our current president". If you use "your" then you must follow it with "my", otherwise it should say "our former president" followed by " our current president". ;)

Guest coachacola

3 Texas schools are in the works to become Tier 1. Texas Tech and UH are 2. I still think the clues point to

Lamar being the 3rd. Lamar raising it's standard and Lamar becoming a $80 million a year research University.

I think you're being way too optimistic.  Lamar's admission standards are still low compared to a lot of universities in the state.  I don't know where you are getting that $80 million figure for research because right now it's around $8 million.  I think Lamar is currently Tier 4, maybe Tier 3, so it's going to take a long time (if ever) for Lamar to reach Tier 1 status.

3 Texas schools are in the works to become Tier 1. Texas Tech and UH are 2. I still think the clues point to

Lamar being the 3rd. Lamar raising it's standard and Lamar becoming a $80 million a year research University.

UH is definitely going to be a tier 1 school. Our new president has been laying the groundwork and several alumni organizations are working alongside the administration to get it done.  Lamar still has a way to go for tier 1 status at this time.

I think you're being way too optimistic.  Lamar's admission standards are still low compared to a lot of universities in the state.  I don't know where you are getting that $80 million figure for research because right now it's around $8 million.  I think Lamar is currently Tier 4, maybe Tier 3, so it's going to take a long time (if ever) for Lamar to reach Tier 1 status.

What?  Do you think I just make this stuff up. It was reported in the news 2-3 years ago.

Also you can't expect LU to raise its standard to Tier 1 over night. It'll take a few years.

I think Lamar is being moved to Tier 1 because Lamar takes its name from the Father of Texas Education.

Now I don't have time to do deep research, but like I said it was in the news a few years ago. They didn't say Tier 1, but they did say $80 million per year.

My two cents as a Lamar student: I could have basically had my choice of Universities in Texas to attend (maybe not Rice) and I chose Lamar about three years ago because of a scholarship program they started offering to attract students who would normally go to bigger name schools. I have kept up with the students who have been offered the same deal over the past couple years, and probably 80% are from SE Texas. When you are sitting at awards day as an underclassmen at highschool I think it really does make a difference if some of the top grads are going to Lamar. I think it makes some students who could easily get into to bigger name schools not feel like they are compromising to go to Lamar, and if it makes economic sense then its a win win. 

but the economy has played a role in that as well

You may know people that are going to Lamar because of the economy, but if you are from Texas, as far as the public schools are concerned, I don't know why graduating seniors would choose Lamar if they could get into top schools, only because the financial aid you can receive from them can pretty much compare to Lamar. And I don't know anyone who has chosen Lamar based solely on their football program DickieV, I don't think anyone has mentioned that either. It just makes going to Lamar more attractive because it gives you something else to be excited about.

Guest DickVitale

I was referring to the LOCAL students who can go to LU and stay at HOME to save money....That was the original statement, about LOCAL kids staying at Lamar.

I was referring to the LOCAL students who can go to LU and stay at HOME to save money....That was the original statement, about LOCAL kids staying at Lamar.

I'm talking about Local people too. Obviously I'm local, and my friends are local. But still, most who have been accepted to bigger schools in Texas can pay the same amount with financial aid and other costs. Trust me, I'm a high school senior so this whole year has been looking for scholarships and other financial aid.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05