Lamar State sophomore forward signs with Missouri Valley College

Lamar State College-Port Arthur sophomore forward George Williamson will continue his collegiate basketball career at Missouri Valley College, a private four-year liberal arts school in Marshall, MO.

The two-year starter at Lamar State signed a scholarship agreement Monday with the Vikings, who play in the NAIA Division I Heart of America Athletic Conference.

The 6’-5†Williamson had an illustrious high school career that included first team all-district honors. He was the runner-up for the 2005 James Gamble “Mr. Outside†Award.

After graduating from high school, Williamson stayed out of school for two years before enrolling at Lamar State in 2007, when his younger brother, Jason, signed with the Seahawks.

The decision proved to be a good move for Williamson as he led Lamar State in scoring as a freshman, earning third team All-Metro Conference honors and setting team records for season scoring (404 points), single game scoring (34 points), per-game scoring average (14.9 ppg) and free-throw percentage (85 percent).

As a sophomore, Williamson tailored his game to fit the talents of his teammates. He finished the year as the Seahawks’ second-leading scorer with 313 points to rank as Lamar State’s all-time scoring leader with 732 total points.

Williamson also set career records for per-game scoring average (13.1 ppg in 56 games) and double-figure scoring games (42).

Lamar State head coach Jerre Cole said Missouri Valley is getting an excellent ballplayer.

“It was a pleasure to work with a young man like George. My only regret is I only had the chance to work with him for one year,†Cole said. “I know the Missouri Valley staff is very excited about George’s decision to go there. They need a big guard to come in and produce right away, and that lends itself to George’s strengths. I am proud of what he has accomplished, and I look forward to following his progress the next two years.â€

Going to Marshall, MO.  Nice facilities, great 9 hole golf course, but man its in the middle of nowhere.  And the conditioning workouts in those rolling hills will kick your ......  Good luck to the kid, hopefully he will have better luck than I did there, which won't be hard. LOL

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats