Mark Fidrych passes

WC1

Former All-Star Mark 'The Bird' Fidrych dies at 54

This is the hidden content, please

BOSTON – Whether he was dominating hitters or hauling asphalt, Mark Fidrych had fun.

The colorful pitcher talked to baseballs, smoothed the mound with his hands and high-fived teammates in the middle of the diamond. He had one terrific season in 1976, and after injuries curtailed his career — just five years in the majors with the Detroit Tigers — he lived on his farm in Northborough, Mass., where he enjoyed driving his truck and using it for building projects.

On Monday, Fidrych was found dead beneath a 10-wheel dump truck by Joseph Amorello, a friend and owner of a road construction company who sometimes hired Fidrych. He was 54.

(more at the link)

My 70+ year old Grandfather loved Fidrych in the day. He thought that he could put a little more spark into the game. He was sadden when he was injured and compared the injury to Dizzy Dean's.

kdo

your grandfather would be glad to know that fidryich never changed his enthusiam for the game or life itself. i spoke with a co-worker the day after the accident who seen fidrych annually at functions and he told me he never changed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43