Seahawks hoops coach takes Kansas juco job

Lamar State College-Port Arthur head basketball coach Jerre Cole announced today that he has accepted the head coaching position at Highland Community College in Highland, Kansas, where he led his team in scoring as a sophomore.

“I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to be the head coach at the school where I began my college career. I also will be nearer to my family and my wife’s family,†Cole said. “I truly enjoyed my employment at Lamar State and I appreciate the opportunity to help build the program here.â€

Cole grew up in Kansas and was a high school All-State first-team selection of the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association.

After graduating from Highland CC, Cole transferred to Missouri Valley College, where he earned All-Conference and All-District honors.

Cole began his coaching career in 1993 with a two-year stint as varsity assistant and head freshman team coach at Missouri Valley College. He then was graduate assistant coach for one year at Emporia State University in Emporia, Kansas.

Cole also made coaching stops at Porterville College, Peru State College and Arizona Western College.

Prior to joining Lamar State, Cole was an assistant coach for two years at Garden City Community College in Garden City, Kansas.

Cole replaced Don Bryson, Lamar University’s first All-American, who came out of retirement to start up Lamar State’s basketball program in 2004.

Cole’s 2008-09 Lamar State team compiled a 9-19 overall record and went 2-17 in the Seahawk’s first season in the Division I Region XIV conference.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05