New Black Panthers plan noon Monday rally in Lumberton

New Black Panthers plan noon Monday rally in Lumberton

Comments 19 | Recommend 1

May 1, 2009 - 11:38 AM

Scott Lawrence & Nicole Murray

KFDM News has learned Quanell X and members of the New Black Panthers based in Houston are planning to hold a rally at noon Monday on the steps of the Lumberton Police Department to protest the death of a man who was involved in a struggle with officers.

KFDM News will have more on the story, including comments from Quanell X, Friday at 6.

Justice of the Peace Vi McGinnis has ordered an autopsy, including toxicology tests, to determine the cause of death of Kevin Laday, 35.

The F.B.I. tells KFDM News it's launched a full civil rights investigation, which is standard procedure in a case such as this. A spokeswoman says the investigation in no way indicates the F.B.I. affirms civil rights violations took place. The goal is to uncover the facts. Lumberton Police Chief Danny Sullins asked the Texas Rangers to assist with the investigation.

Laday's mother, Sandra LaDay, tells KFDM News she believes officers beat her son and killed him, but Chief Sullins strongly denies the allegations. He says two officers responded to a report of a car in a ditch at about 3:30 a.m. Thursday on Pine Burr Loop near Highway 96, close to the Village Creek Nursing Home. He says the officers saw LaDay walking nearby and tried to give him a field sobriety test but he ran. According to Chief Sullins, when they tried to detain him he fought back. They used a Taser at least once. After sheriff's deputies arrived to help they were able to handcuff LaDay. Sullins says he was okay at that point but afterward lost consciousness and EMS was already on the way. Emergency workers performed CPR and transported LaDay to Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth where he died.

KFDM News spoke with Quanell X by phone from Houston Friday morning.

"Our goal is to send a message to the Lumberton Police Department that the community will not tolerate what has happened to the LaDay family," said Quanell X. "We feel this is a case of racial profiling."

KFDM News will have more on the story tonight on KFDM News at 6.

KFDM's Thursday story

KFDM News has learned the F.B.I, the Texas Rangers and the Lumberton Police Department are investigating the death of a man who was involved in struggle with police early Thursday morning.

Justice of the Peace Vi McGinnis has ordered an autopsy, including toxicology tests which could take several weeks, to determine the cause of death of Kevin LaDay, 35.

LaDay's mother, Sandra LaDay, tells KFDM News she believes officers beat her son and killed him, but Lumberton Police Chief Danny Sullins strongly denies the allegations. He says two officers were involved in a struggle to get LaDay into custody and he became unconscious. Sullins says the officers used a Taser at least once to restrain LaDay because he continued to struggle with them. He says they never struck LaDay with their fists and were only trying to hold onto him and get him into custody.

Sandra LaDay says Houston civil rights activist Quanell X and the Black Panthers plan to march in Lumberton Monday to protest the death.

The F.B.I. has launched a civil rights investigation into the death.

Chief Sullins tells KFDM News the case began when his department received several calls early Thursday morning about a car in a ditch on Pine Burr Loop near Highway 96.

Sullins says officers responded at about 3:30 a.m. to the area, which is near a nursing home, and arrived within minutes.

"Shortly after arriving they found a 35 year old man walking in the area near the credit union," Chief Sullins told KFDM News.

"Officers spoke with him and while they were talking with him he ran away toward the highway. They tried to take him into custody. There was a struggle lasting several minutes. They used a Taser."

Sullins isn't sure if they had to deploy the Taser more than once. He says officers didn't hit LaDay and didn't beat him.

"They didn't beat him and didn't use a choke hold," said Sullins. "They were trying to hold onto him and get him into custody. They didn't strike him. They handcuffed him in front. He was on the ground the entire time. He then became unconscious. EMS was called to the scene. They did CPR and he was then taken to Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth. Justice of the Peace Vi McGinnis pronounced him dead later this morning."

Chief Sullins says the case is under investigation by his department and several other agencies.

"The F.B.I. agent in charge of this area said they'd be investigating," said Sullins. He said he got a call from someone. I asked the Texas Rangers to investigate. I welcome an outside investigation. I want transparency."

Hardin County Sheriff Ed Cain tells KFDM News two of his deputies responded to a report of an officer needing assistance.  Sherif Cain says to his knowledge there is no evidence LaDay had been beaten.

Sullins says this is the first time someone has died while police were trying to detain them since he has been with the department.

"I've been with the Lumberton Police Department for more than 20 years and we've never had this happen," said Sullins. "I've been Chief for 1 1/2 years and we've never had use of force complaints. I'm so proud of my officers because of that. It's a tough job."

He says the two officers remain on duty.

"I feel badly for the man's family," said Chief Sullins. "Any time something like this happens we're saddened for the family. No one wants this to happen. No one more than the family, certainly. Nor would the officers want this to happen. Our job is to preserve lives and protect people. Our hearts go out to the LaDay family."

Kevin LaDay's mother and other relatives claim he was beaten by officers.

His mother, Sandra, told KFDM News he'd visited a friend's home in Lumberton. She said at 3:47 a.m. he called her and said his car had gone into a ditch on Highway 96.

"I heard the police in the background on his cell phone," said LaDay. "I heard him say 'don't do that, don't do that.' Then the phone went dead."

LaDay says she wants to know what happened between the time the phone went dead and the time he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Sandra LaDay has received national recognition for her work with the organization People Supporting People. The Port Arthur organization helps the needy and is involved in a number of projects in the community.

The F.B.I. confirms it has opened a civil rights violation into the allegations, according to Shauna Dunlap, a field agent and spokeswoman for the Houston Division of the F.B.I.

"We've opened a full civil rights investigation to determine if any federal violation of the law has occurred," Dunlap told KFDM News.

"That is standard and routine whenever there is an in-custody death, an officer-involved shooting or similar incidents involving law enforcement use of force. It doesn't indicate any wrongdoing. The investigation is to gather the facts of the case and make that determination. Certainly opening an investigation doesn't indicate that any civil rights violation has taken place."

Dunlap says she won't speculate about how long it might take to complete the investigation.

"Each investigation is unique and we'll take the time to conduct a full and complete investigation," said Dunlap. "We'll cooperate with our local partners in doing so. The Beaumont office of the F.B.I. will be investigating."

KFDM News is investigating the case.  Stay with KFDM for the latest information.

Bill Leger's Thursday 6 and 10 p.m. report

"When my husband went into there and saw how beat up he was, it was just too much," said Sandra LaDay, Kevin LaDay's mother. "I had just talked to him at 3:47."

Sandra LaDay says the last time she heard from her son was when he called early Thursday morning to say he had run his car into a ditch in Lumberton and the police were on the scene.

"And all of a sudden he kept saying 'don't do that, don't do that,' and all of sudden the phone went blank."

LaDay says a short time later she was called to the hospital and told her son had died.

"We don't any heavy handed behavior by our officers and we don't have that here and never had any report of it," said Lumberton Police Chief Danny Sullins.

Chief Sullins tells KFDM his officers responded to a call of a car in a ditch near the Village Creek Nursing Home near Highway 96 and Pine Burr Road.

When two Lumberton officers arrived on the scene they found the car in the ditch and the driver walking nearby. When officers tried to give the man a field sobriety test they say he ran and when they tried to detain him he fought back.

Chief Sullins says after the two officers used a Taser on LaDay and two sheriff's deputies arrived to help, they were able to handcuff the 6'2", 250 pound man.

We asked Chief Sullins if LaDay was okay after he was handcuffed.

"Yes, and after that is when he became unconscious and EMS was already on the way."

But LaDay's father says he saw his son's body at the hospital and claims there was evidence he had been beaten.

"His face was swollen," said Willie LaDay. "I know when a man has been beaten up. He was a big man."

LaDay's family doesn't deny he has a long history of drug related offenses.

"He would not run from the police," said Keisha LaDay Wooten, Kevin LaDay's sister.  "He has been to jail before and he knows to just sit there and be handcuffed and not fight back."

"I've been the chief here for almost two years and we've never had that type of behavior or been accused of this type of thing," said Chief Sullins.

Sandra LaDay has received national recognition for her work with People Supporting People, a Port Arthur organization that has been involved in a number of projects to help the homeless and other needy people in the community.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Our goal is to send a message to the Lumberton Police Department that the community will not tolerate what has happened to the LaDay family," said Quanell X. "We feel this is a case of racial profiling."

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Did he not read the article?  They were called because a car was in the ditch! I appreciate what they "THINK" they are doing, but they are causing more harm than good!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Did he not read the article?  They were called because a car was in the ditch! I appreciate what they "THINK" they are doing, but they are causing more harm than good!

Typical. I'll say one thing abou this story. I have a feeling this board is going to get a little testy before it's over :D

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Typical. I'll say one thing abou this story. I have a feeling this board is going to get a little testy before it's over :D

Typical?  Tell me why you would consider this racial profiling?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Typical because YOU would feel it's not profiling. Team Bush were masters at profiling. I just had to input a little  ;)*Bush*

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Plus, you better be nice to me. My boy Quanell X will be in a town near you 8)

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Typical because YOU would feel it's not profiling. Team Bush were masters at profiling. I just had to input a little  ;)*Bush*

Answer all the question!    ???

GIVE ME A BREAK!

A little history about "your boy" from Wikipedia®

Quanell was a drug dealer in the Sunnyside community located in southern Houston, Texas. In May 1989 he spent a brief time in jail and received 10 years probation for possessing and dealing crack cocaine. It was during this time that Quanell claims to have had a life changing conversion and decided he would devote his life to the betterment of African-Americans in Houston.

In 1995, Quanell was quoted in the New York Daily News as saying,

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready … knuckle up, put your boots on, because we're ready and the war is going down. … The real deal is this: Black youth do not want a relationship with the Jewish community or the mainstream white community or the foot shuffling, head-bowing, knee bobbing black community. … All you Jews can go straight to hell."[4]

Quanell was forced out of the Nation of Islam for publicly inciting violence with his televised, and highly publicized, exhortation to Houston-area blacks:

"if you feel that you just got to mug somebody because of your hurt and your pain, go to River Oaks and mug you some good white folks. If you’re angry that our brother is put to death, don’t burn down your own community, give these white folks hell from the womb to the tomb.

Dove, I hope this is not your mentor!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Quanell was a drug dealer in the Sunnyside community located in southern Houston, Texas. In May 1989 he spent a brief time in jail and received 10 years probation for possessing and dealing crack cocaine. It was during this time that Quanell claims to have had a life changing conversion and decided he would devote his life to the betterment of African-Americans in Houston.

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready … knuckle up, put your boots on, because we're ready and the war is going down. … The real deal is this: Black youth do not want a relationship with the Jewish community or the mainstream white community or the foot shuffling, head-bowing, knee bobbing black community. … All you Jews can go straight to heck."[4]

Quanell was forced out of the Nation of Islam for publicly inciting violence with his televised, and highly publicized, exhortation to Houston-area blacks:

"if you feel that you just got to mug somebody because of your hurt and your pain, go to River Oaks and mug you some good white folks. If you’re angry that our brother is put to death, don’t burn down your own community, give these white folks heck from the womb to the tomb.

Do I sense tension brewing already? :D

GIVE ME A BREAK!

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready … knuckle up, put your boots on, because we're ready and the war is going down. … The real deal is this: Black youth do not want a relationship with the Jewish community or the mainstream white community or the foot shuffling, head-bowing, knee bobbing black community. … All you Jews can go straight to heck."[4]

"if you feel that you just got to mug somebody because of your hurt and your pain, go to River Oaks and mug you some good white folks. If you’re angry that our brother is put to death, don’t burn down your own community, give these white folks heck from the womb to the tomb.

I have a prediction that by the time I get back from my KKK meeting, the thread will be locked!    ;D  ;D

THAT WAS A JOKE FOR BLUEDOVE!  I despise the KKK as much as the black panthers!

GIVE ME A BREAK!

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I have a prediction that by the time I get back from my KKK meeting, the thread will be locked!    ;D   ;D

I grew up one house down from Khallid Abdul Muhammad. ;) Don't mess with me hippy! ;)

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I have a prediction that by the time I get back from my KKK meeting, the thread will be locked!    ;D   ;D

I grew up one house down from Khallid Abdul Muhammad. ;) Don't mess with me hippy! ;)

LMAO.......we should all meet for beers!!

The mere suggestion that this was racial profiling shows what a moron QX is. This case had absolutely nothing to do with profiling. Police brutality? Maybe. Racism? Maybe. Profiling? That is a stupid allegation.

Racial profiling is the stopping of someone not based on any facts leading to reasonable suspicion but due to race. It is illegal because the standard for a police detention is reasonable suspicion and race standing alone is not and cannot be reasonable suspicion.

Let's look at this case from the facts that most people would not dispute. Laday drove off of the roadway and had an accident. Why is this not disputed? His mother even claimed that she was on the phone with him after it happened. He didn't call his mother and say that he was driving down the highway minding his own business and was harassed by the cops.

What are the cops supposed to do when they see a car that has wrecked into a ditch along side a highway? Maybe they should drive by and not investigate? I don't care who the driver was, what race he was or what city it was in. That is what the police do. They have to check to see if there is an injured victim, someone that needs a car towed, they might need to work an accident and they might have to make an arrest for DWI. Laday happened to have been there. What were the cops supposed to do, pass him by because he was black?

Nope, no racial profiling and it just shows how far QX will go in his lies and rhetoric to try for headlines. I have no clue what the cops did or if they were justified. I do know that his isn't a case of racial profiling. Discrimination? Maybe.... but not profiling.

Is "X" his real last name??   Or just the way he signs his Police arrest reports??

Maybe LPD racially profiled his vehicle??   ::)  If I read the story correctly he was wandering around a credit union...at 3 something in the morning.  I would think that any law enforcement unit would want to question an individual doing that...white, black or in between.  Should be an interesting kinda day for the good folks in Lumberton.

This is all a little premature. The civil rights investigation has yielded no evidence to support any claims, neither LPD's nor the LaDay's. The LaDay family only had reason to contact the F.B.I. for an investigation, not Al Sharpton, not the "new" black panthers, and most certainly not the Obama administration (I can't think of any reason to contact that administration in regards to this case.). Perhaps those actions will be justified later, but they are certainly not justified by the information at hand at the present time. People are jumping to conclusions with no basis in fact. But, then again, people seem to be doing that a lot these days.

If you want to see something funny go to youtube.com and look up "Quannel X Clashes with Joe Horn Supporters." Qualude X apparently tried to protest the killing of two felons robbing a house in the Houston area and he was met with a group of white protesters with motorcycles.... Qualude and his boys scattered like roaches when the lights are turned on!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05