Encalade putting positive stamp on Cardinals

Encalade putting positive stamp on Cardinals

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — BRIDGE CITY — So much for Bridge City’s Grant Encalade being a sleeper on the Cardinals’ team during his senior season.

Encalade wasted no time putting his stamp on the team this year.

Early in the season the senior catcher had back-to-back, game-winning hits in back-to-back at-bats.

Encalade never slowed down either.

He is currently tied for the team-lead in batting average at .400 and is second on the team with 15 RBI. Encalade has four doubles, is slugging .600 and hit his first career home run this season.

It has definitely been a special senior season.

“I worked real hard this summer,†Encalade said. “I knew I had to improve. Coach (Chad) Landry has been great for us. Our defense has improved and our practices have been very helpful.â€

Yes folks a high school player talked first about defense before offense.

Pride set over Encalade when he talked about the Cardinals’ defense and pitching staff.

“Our mentality is if we do not make any errors, we will be hard to beat,†Encalade said. “Our pitching has been great. When we make errors, it seems like that is the only time we give up runs. We take a lot of pride in our defense this year.

“Then our pitching. With Matt (Hicks) all I worry about is putting up my glove and not moving it. He will hit the mitt. Caleb (Kellogg) has really come around and I have grown more confident in him with each start. Then (Daniel) Wallace has been a great surprise. He has been throwing great for us.â€

The Cardinals hold a .931 fielding percentage behind their pitchers. Bridge City has a 2.23 team ERA and has given up 79 runs in 25 games, 50 of which have been earned.

Now Encalade is ready to build off the District 21-3A championship the Cardinals secured.

“Our goal was always to first get into the playoffs and go for the district title,†Encalade added. “Now we don’t want to stop until we get to Austin. It is going to take defense, hitting, pitching and a little bit of luck along the way. I just hope that all falls our way.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo