Bobcats' Peevey thrilled with playoff opportunity

Bobcats' Peevey thrilled with playoff opportunity

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — This is what Orangefield’s Zach Peevey has been waiting on for four years.

The chance to play in the playoffs.

Peevey has never played in the postseason in any sport, let alone baseball.

The Bobcats will face the Liberty Panthers in the Class 3A Region III bi-district round next week.

Peevey, the only senior on Orangefield’s team, and the Bobcats reached the playoffs after defeating the West Orange-Stark Mustangs, 5-3, in the team’s final District 21-3A contest.

“It feels amazing,†Peevey said. “We finally accomplished what I have been working so hard to get over the past four years. It is amazing. It took a real long time to do it and it was a sigh of relief.â€

Orangefield coach Jeff Bennett, in his third season with the Bobcats, said he has enjoyed watching Peevey come around since his sophomore season.

“His sophomore year was my first year here and he was coming off a pretty good freshman season,†Bennett said. “He had some arm problems and really lost some confidence. Last year he gradually gained some of that confidence back. He had a great summer and an outstanding fall this year and Zach has ended up being one of the major parts of the middle of our line-up.

“Our players said they have been playing this year for him to make the playoffs. Zach has never been to the playoffs in any sport and the last time the Bobcats were in the baseball players he was in the eighth grade.â€

Peevey, who is batting .348 this year and is second on the team with 26 RBI, said he appreciated his team’s efforts this year.

“I really liked that,†Peevey said. “I knew the team always had my back and would do anything they could to reach the playoffs this year. It just took more games for us to accomplish it than what I thought it would take.â€

Peevey is never without a smile when the Bobcats are practicing or on the playing field.

It is that attitude Bennett said he will miss next year.

“Zach can be a goofball,†Bennett said. “He is so happy-go-lucky at all times. With Zach you can’t tell if it is the first day of practice or the practice before the West Orange-Stark game and that was the biggest game of his high school career. He is about one of three or four guys that always keeps this team so loose and we have played that way all year. I wouldn’t have our team any other way.â€

Peevey relishes the opportunity to make sure his teammates keep a smile on their faces.

“I like that role,†Peevey said. “The team always looks to me when it is a little too up tight. I try to make them realize we are a good team and we can win games. I’m not satisfied with just making playoffs. I’d like to get past the bi-district round and see where we can go.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05