A local news sports report on Longview Spring Hill

Spring Hill wins to sweep Robinson

Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By RICK KRETZSCHMAR

Sunday, May 24, 2009

CANTON — Spring Hill baseball pitcher Garrett Methvin had few problems getting 20 outs on Saturday, but getting one more out proved difficult. Fortunately for Methvin and the Panthers, Dylan Brown took care of out number 21.

Needing just three pitches for a save, Brown preserved a 4-3 Spring Hill win over Robinson to conclude a 2-0 sweep of a best-of-three Class 3A Region III quarterfinal series at the Canton High School Baseball Field. Robinson nearly rallied with two outs in the top of the seventh inning, loading the bases on three Methvin walks, followed by a RBI infield single by Matt Walker and a two-run double to right-centerfield by Boone Weiss.

MORE SPORTS

* LOCAL SPORTS BLOG: The News-Journal sports staff tackle all sports and invite your comments.

Latest entry: Spring Hill softball team rallies to stun Splendora 7-5, wins series

* MORE PHOTOS, VIDEO: Click here to check out our multimedia page.

* SUBMIT YOUR OWN: Upload your photos on our photo-sharing site -- SeeYa, and use the tag, "sports."

Brown relieved Methvin at this point and struck out Taylor James to end the game and preserve the win for Methvin. It was Brown's second save of this season, but he said it was the first time he had earned a one-out save. Spring Hill coach Griff Mauldin said he felt confident in Brown's ability to get strikes on his curveball.

"I threw two curveballs and a fastball. I felt like I had him when it was 0-2 because I thought I could get him with the fastball," Brown said. "I wasn't nervous. You just go out and play your best."

Spring Hill (28-2) advances to the Region III semifinal round, where the Panthers will face Bridge City or Orangefield at a time, date and place to be determined. Bridge City and Orangefield played the third and deciding game of their Region III quarterfinal series Saturday night. Robinson's season concludes at 24-5.

Other than the seventh inning, Methvin had another strong outing, improving his season record to 12-1. Methvin had 11 strikeouts and allowed five hits. Four of Robinson's five hits were doubles, including two by Josh Lemon.

Methvin pitched a complete-game shutout in Spring Hill 4-0 area-playoff win over Mexia on Tuesday. Methvin said Saturday was the first time he has pitched on three days rest and fatigue was a factor in the seventh inning. Methvin said getting behind in the count hurt his seventh inning as well.

"I was still able to spot my fastball, but Robinson was a better hitting team than Mexia," Methvin said. "We've been told this is the furthest Spring Hill has advanced in the playoffs. That motivates us and we want to go as far it will carry us."

Spring Hill scored what turned out to be three critical runs in the third inning. Ryan Lacy led off the frame with a bunt single and Brown reached base on a fielding error by Robinson second baseman James.

After Methvin was hit by a pitch, Miles Peloquin drew a bases-loaded walk. Brandon Arden followed with a two-run single to right field.

Robinson pitcher Walker suffered his first loss of the 2009 season, dropping to 8-1, but settled down after Arden's hit. Walker pitched a complete game, not allowing a hit in his final 3 2/3 innings of work, allowing two earned runs. Mauldin said Lacy's bunt was the key to the third inning.

"Lacy has good speed and he bunts the ball good too," Mauldin said. "We like to strike early. We felt if we could score four runs, it would be enough for Garrett."

Fifth Inning

Spring Hill denied a scoring opportunity for Robinson in the top of the inning.

Lemon led off the inning with a double to right-centerfield and went to third base on a Philip Hurtado groundout. Zach Yelland followed with a walk.

Methvin struck out the next batter, Walker. Spring Hill catcher Ryan Small dropped the third strike, but because Yelland was at first base, Walker was out and Yelland could have stayed at first.

After Small's drop however, Yelland broke for second base. Small quickly recovered and threw Yelland out at second for an inning-ending double play.

Notes

Spring Hill scored its first run in the bottom of the first inning. Small singled to left and the ball got past Robinson left fielder Yelland, allowing Small to advance to second. Small's courtesy runner, Tyler Leath, scored on a two-out single up the middle by Peloquin ... Spring Hill had no extra-base hit and no batters with more than one hit

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo