Interesting article on Georgia State's startup to football

Guest mffl

Guest coachacola

What I found interesting about Bill Curry is that he doesn't have that many winning seasons outside of his 3 seasons at Alabama.  Georgia Tech and Kentucky are not exactly football powerhouses and he had a hard time winning there.  Now he's 66 and he's building a program from scratch.  UTSA is in a similar situation with Larry Coker, although Coker was more successful than Curry.

ODU, South Alabama and LU are going with younger, lesser known coaches.  It should be interesting to see which schools can start winning sooner.  Call me bias, but I'm going with the second group of schools.

ODU, South Alabama and LU are going with younger, lesser known coaches.  It should be interesting to see which schools can start winning sooner.  Call me bias, but I'm going with the second group of schools.

Recent comparisons - FAU went with an older coach. They are doing much better than rival FIU who went the "younger route". FAU had success at the FCS level and then it translated to a more successful transition to FBS than FIU, who is still trying to find their footing.

Of note, Georgia State and ODU are both going into the CAA. The CAA is the toughest FCS conference in the nation. Unlike Lamar, they are waiting what has become the typical waiting period before hopping into a conference. Lamar is going into the tough and tumble SLC in year #2 of existence.

South Alabama is going to grow their way up and play scrimmages this year against teams loaded of FBS prospects and prop players. They'll play a mix of FCS and sub-Div I teams in year #2. Of all the teams, I think they are going about it right in growing their program.

I think LU has the toughest road ahead of compared to UTSA, GSU, ODU and USA just based off their way they are going about their move. LU is playing the toughest schedule of any teams in the group in year #1, playing a full conference schedule in year #2. I'm just under the impression that they are rushing things, when they could probably use a more cupcake first year, a bit tougher schedule in year #2 and then conference in year #3. But, if the Cards want to throw their team into the fire, have at it.

I'll let you guys disagree with me, but the proof is in the pudding. LU is bucking the recent trend of new programs and you guys without question have the toughest schedule of new programs, especially with limited sub-Div I games and no Div I games against non-scholarship programs. Further judgment when first year schedule is announced.

Guest mffl

Or maybe it is our way to convince recruits and the community that we are ready for football, I sure don't know the FCS like you so I don't disagree yet, but I think you have to wait to see what has become of the program before you say we're going to be bad. I guess we can either surprise you or make you right.

Guest coachacola

I think LU wants to get into conference play as soon as possible because it'll help attract players knowing they'll be competing for the conference championship and the playoffs.  And with games scheduled against the likes of A&M and others will bring in money plus help with recruiting.  I doubt they'll have a realistic shot at winning conference in year two, but it's better than no shot at all.

I personally don't think winning against sub-Div 1 teams would do much for the program or for ticket sales.  Take basketball, Roc schedules these easy wins against sub-Div 1 teams each year and they are not that well attended.  I think it would be the same for football.  Expectations will not be that high for the first few years, so why not go ahead and play against good competition?  I think Lamar will be shooting for 15K+ home crowds and playing no-name sub-D1 teams won't cut it.

You schedule a few sub-Div I teams in year one.

You already have attendance guaranteed because of the fact it's the return of Lamar football. Your guys get some more game experience instead of potential tougher than nails games every week. You already got one, if not two sub-Div I games in year one it seems. Langston and wasn't there another one?

And I agree - it's about getting the recruits amped up for the fact they are competing for a conference title as soon as possible. It's probably the only way that you load up on JUCOs and FBS transfers to help cover up the shortcomings of a mostly freshman squad.

Guest mffl

You schedule a few sub-Div I teams in year one.

You already have attendance guaranteed because of the fact it's the return of Lamar football. Your guys get some more game experience instead of potential tougher than nails games every week. You already got one, if not two sub-Div I games in year one it seems. Langston and wasn't there another one?

And I agree - it's about getting the recruits amped up for the fact they are competing for a conference title as soon as possible. It's probably the only way that you load up on JUCOs and FBS transfers to help cover up the shortcomings of a mostly freshman squad.

You seem so insistent, have you ever been apart of bringing back a football team?

You seem so insistent, have you ever been apart of bringing back a football team?

I've followed the last 5-10 football startups - probably starting with FAU. It's a neat concept that interests me. I love expansion - what can I say? And yes, I have talked to individuals behind starting football at one school - correcting their study and vision on numerous fronts (plenty of misinformation from a 2000ish study that do not hold true today).

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham