Carthage vs. Andrews..Carthage Wins/Headed To The Final!!

Guest Orangeboy

I really like Carthage chances of getting to the final after drawing the region 1 winner which is traditionally one of the weaker. Best of luck to you guys.

I also think Carthage will be favored in this one, but Andrews is my old hometown.  I transferred away from there in '02 - nephews have attended HF and played baseball in the area and I am now also a SETX resident and baseball fan.

This same match-up occurred in 1990, Carthage knocked out Andrews in the state semi-final, then later defeated Robstown for the Title - class 4A then.  Region 1 and Andrews had much success during the years we resided there - we didn't think of ourselves as being from a weaker region.  There were several deep runs later in the 90's, culminating in the '99 state tournament appearance in which Andrews defeated both Brenham and CC Calallen for the Championship.  Now it's a different regime, different coach, and new people  - HOF Coach Joe Ray Halsey retired from Andrews in '01.

Carthage does have much more recent deep playoff experience and also a lengthy tradition of success. This will be the 5th appearance overall for Andrews at the state tournament ('69, '85, '90, '99, and '09), but it is the first trip to Austin for current head coach Rod Gardner.  He is, however, a veteran coach with 600+ wins 8).  In the Region 1 Final this year, a one game series at the request of Brownwood, Andrews defeated Brownwood and their highly recruited rhp Shelby Miller.  Reports are that Miller has a high 90's fastball, was signed with Texas A&M but was drafted yesterday in the 1st round by St. Louis, -wow-.  Maybe Miller had an off night in the Reg 1 game, there were some errors behind him.

Carthage definitely favored in this one, but I will be pulling for my old hometown Mustangs.  Congratulations to both teams, hopefully it will be a good game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo