Magazine picks Vidor football to win first district title since 1978

smitty i'm srry that u don't feel that vidor will make playoffs but u will be upset this year when they do.they beat lumberton and should have beat central with a missed 20 yard feild goal and a blocked extra point to tie the game.

and the difference between this team and the 2005 team is it actually means something to them and they have their hearts in the game. yes mathuews was the coach then but the kids now have baught into what he is saying to them and with a group of kids than has been pretty dominat together all through school wich what i mean by that is jr high and freshman year they will be good this year cause they have it in their minds that they can make playoffs and go deep. u can say that jr high and freshman ball is different from varsity ball but when u get a group that has played togeher that long and believe in each other and care about their team mates they will go far.

yea they didn't do as good as they should have last seasoin when they lost to ozen wich shouldn't have happend they had 6 turnovers and still only lost by 1 td. they were mostly jr's but coach mat. has done some work with these boys and they have their mind set to make their coach proud and prove all the ppl hatting on them wrong.

Look, it's not about hating on them.  Usually hated teams are teams that have a traditon of winning.  Vidor has nothing to hate on in my eyes right now.  It's all about reality.  Your team could not make the playoffs last year in a somewhat weakened district with 4 playoff spots.  You guys are saying you are proud of your effort last year.  That may well be, but that pride will not get you into the playoffs.  You have a lot of returning starters from a team that, when  you think about it, accomplished nothing.  What should lead us to believe that you will make the playoffs this year.  I for one, having seen PNG's changes, know that the district is going to be tougher this year.  Yes, you may be tougher, bringing back so many, but IMO, with the rise of the district, you will still be the odd man out.  Sorry.  Again, no hate intended, just reality.

Geez, Laying, have you read the blogs during the season the last 2 years or is L-Town an exception to the rule? We've caught heck for winning and yet most people don't figure we had a "tradition of winning". Also, this "weakened district" attitude, is that because PNG lost out last year or would you happen to have an alternate ego by the name of FriendswoodFan? You sound just like him. I don't see the other teams fans saying we had a weakened district so I was just wondering.  ;)

Sorry for the late response, been out a while.  Look, I may be a little biased, so I can see where my comments may frustrate some.  But, in the end, I have seen PNG play....they will be good....district championship good.  Whether they win it or not remains to be seen.  I havent seen anyone (ie Vidor) play yet, so they could prove me wrong.  But, they will have to step their game up a lot.....which they do not have a history of.  If you ask me, we had a better team than Vidor or Lumberton last year, but could not live up to expectations....coaching etc. 

And yes, when the 2nd to last place team (PNG), makes the co district champions.....and the Vidor team that "did so well", struggle....IMO, you have a weak district.  In a good district, the champions eat the bottom tier teams for dinner that night.  That did not happen in 20-4a.  And no, I dont believe it was because it was a strong district.

so a team struggles in district and finshed tied for 5th in d1 state playoffs (lost 20-19) out of 64 teams (32 districts).

so that teams district is weak?

someone check my math

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the only perception of a 'down year' in some people's eyes is when either PN-G or Nederland miss the playoffs.  Maybe it is because Lumberton and Livingston was at the top?  Or maybe it's that Central (out of all teams) made a deep playoff run. I know this is off subject,  but this is what I was thinking while reading this thread. 

BTW, did I mention that I think the Dave Cambell's picks are trash and that a pick for Vidor to win district only because they return the most starters is foolish?

It does seem foolish but that is about all they have to go on.... and in the end, they may be correct. When you roll the dice, sometimes you hit.

I think that most fans this year feel like their team will be much improved because of the coaching changes and couple that with the bevy of good returning coaches at Nederland and Lumberton and Mathews Crew being picked to be a true contender, this leads a lot of folks to think the district 1-8 will be much better this year. If that means last year was a down year??? Maybe, but I think the past several years (10) have been down years. No top 10 team year in and year out!

I think that most fans this year feel like their team will be much improved because of the coaching changes and couple that with the bevy of good returning coaches at Nederland and Lumberton and Mathews Crew being picked to be a true contender, this leads a lot of folks to think the district 1-8 will be much better this year. If that means last year was a down year??? Maybe, but I think the past several years (10) have been down years. No top 10 team year in and year out!

But what do they know.  You and I know they never show and of our local 4a teams no respect.  You will probably never see our local teams in the top 10.

Looks like the only perception of a 'down year' in some people's eyes is when either PN-G or Nederland miss the playoffs.  Maybe it is because Lumberton and Livingston was at the top?  Or maybe it's that Central (out of all teams) made a deep playoff run. I know this is off subject,  but this is what I was thinking while reading this thread. 

Dont know how many times I have to explain this.....it has nothing to do with PNG, except for the fact that aside from LC-M, they were the worst team in the district last year.  I build everything around them, because they are the team I see week in and out.

Lumberton (your 20-4A co champs) had to struggle to beat PN-G.  Central (your other 20-4A co champs), beat PN-G 19-0.....no too dominating.  I'm not basing the district on PN-G not doing well, I'm basing the district on the teams that did well, struggle with them. 

Again, in a good district, the district champions wipe the floor with the likes of PN-G last year.....that didnt happen.  We had a very down year IMO, and the champs struggled with us.  And again, no, you didnt struggle with us because we were a good team.

Dont know how many times I have to explain this.....it has nothing to do with PNG, except for the fact that aside from LC-M, they were the worst team in the district last year.  I build everything around them, because they are the team I see week in and out.

Lumberton (your 20-4A co champs) had to struggle to beat PN-G.  Central (your other 20-4A co champs), beat PN-G 19-0.....no too dominating.  I'm not basing the district on PN-G not doing well, I'm basing the district on the teams that did well, struggle with them. 

Again, in a good district, the district champions wipe the floor with the likes of PN-G last year.....that didnt happen.  We had a very down year IMO, and the champs struggled with us.  And again, no, you didnt struggle with us because we were a good team.

Basing it on head to head matchups with your Indians vs. the top rung of the district.  IMO, that's a weak argument.  I think this shows me that the district was competitive, not down.  Now competitive in comparison to other districts?  No.

But what do they know.  You and I know they never show and of our local 4a teams no respect.  You will probably never see our local teams in the top 10.

You are correct about that.

But we have not had a dominant program (year in and year out) in the GT since WOS of the late 80's early 90's. We have had a few exceptional teams and a few good teams that peaked at the right time. It is time for a GT program to step up and dominate the State!

You are correct about that.

But we have not had a dominant program (year in and year out) in the GT since WOS of the late 80's early 90's. We have had a few exceptional teams and a few good teams that peaked at the right time. It is time for a GT program to step up and dominate the State!

I'd say wos and dayton are still dominant.

PNG went to the state finals in 99 and WOS in 2000 and Nederland went to the semi-finals in 01 (I think).

Personally, I feel that, if a district prepares a team to get 4 rounds deep, they aren't "weak". Doesn't mean they are the toughest in the state, but certainly not weak.

PNG went to the state finals in 99 and WOS in 2000 and Nederland went to the semi-finals in 01 (I think).

My point exactly. Those were very good teams that played there best ball down the stretch, but what did they do to follow that up in the next few years. No repeat trips to the championship. 2000 was 9 years ago. Some of those kids have Kindergartners now! ;D

I am talking about a program that goes four or five deep each year like Lamarque, Stephenville, Highland Park and even what Dayton has done lately.

I said GT (Golden Triangle) and I was refering to 4A and 5A. I consider Dayton a Houston area team.

And what has WOS done in 3A? No state titles. Not even a title game.

vidor will win they may not come in 1st but they will go to playoffs and make a good run. don't even ask what makes me think they will bc look at last season.no they weren't great but they played hard and down to the last seconds on the clock. they beat lumberton no that wasn't luck they played hard and wanted the win.lumberton just thought they had it in the bag after the 1st half but vidor was determind to come out with a win. they put up a good fight with central when they should have won if they wouldn't have missed the field goal.they shouldn't have lost to ozen which they had about 6 fumbles and lost about 3 or 4 of them and still only lost by one TD. and made Livingston and nederland earn the win and didn't just give up and let them have it like the past vidor teams have. and they will do a lot better this year.they will be top 3 and i think we will have at least 2 teams make good runs in playoffs this year.

My point exactly. Those were very good teams that played there best ball down the stretch, but what did they do to follow that up in the next few years. No repeat trips to the championship. 2000 was 9 years ago. Some of those kids have Kindergartners now! ;D

I am talking about a program that goes four or five deep each year like Lamarque, Stephenville, Highland Park and even what Dayton has done lately.

Well put.

I said GT (Golden Triangle) and I was refering to 4A and 5A. I consider Dayton a Houston area team.

And what has WOS done in 3A? No state titles. Not even a title game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32