Area coaches have say about two-a-days!!!!!!!

This is the hidden content, please

The nation's athletic trainer's association says that high schools should get rid of two-a-day football drills for the first week of August.

Funny thing, West Orange-Stark head coach Dan Hooks also has something to say about that.

"Those trainers, they need to train and we will do the coaching," said Hooks, who has been at WO-S for 29 seasons.

I think that Matthews from Vidor is correct when he said that they should not be drinking the energy drinks. I believe those are a disaster in the making. Since when do 16 and 17 year old kids need energy drinks anyway? Maybe it's just the culture of needing to put something into our bodies for everything. If you want to wake up, take something. If you want to go to sleep, take something. If you are about to play sports, take something.

I think that Matthews from Vidor is correct when he said that they should not be drinking the energy drinks. I believe those are a disaster in the making. Since when do 16 and 17 year old kids need energy drinks anyway? Maybe it's just the culture of needing to put something into our bodies for everything. If you want to wake up, take something. If you want to go to sleep, take something. If you are about to play sports, take something.

ain't that the truth? :)

This is the hidden content, please

The nation's athletic trainer's association says that high schools should get rid of two-a-day football drills for the first week of August.

Funny thing, West Orange-Stark head coach Dan Hooks also has something to say about that.

"Those trainers, they need to train and we will do the coaching," said Hooks, who has been at WO-S for 29 seasons.

That is about the dumbest quote I have ever heard. What does coach Hooks, who has been coaching for 29 years believe athletic trainers do and are responsible for? With degrees in sports medicine / athletic training, the responsibilities go beyond taping and providing water, which may have been the case 29 years ago. No one is telling coaches how to coach or telling athletic trainers how to properly prevent medical emergencies such as heat stroke. I believe that the proposal is for the UIL to look at and decide. Then it will be the UIL (that does regulate athletics and their policies) to tell the coaches AND the athletic trainers what is best for the athletes.

The statement and fact sheet etc, regarding this proposal is on the front page of www.nata.org but I did read this on the statement sheet:

In addition to NATA, the task force that developed the consensus statement comprises seven other groups, including American College of Sports Medicine, Gatorade Sports Science Institute, National Strength and Conditioning Association, United States Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and American Academy of Pediatrics. For more information, please visit www.nata.org.

So this is not something that was strummed up by some bored tape jockey that was tired of handing out water to everyone.

Why yes, yes I am a certified athletic trainer. And sure I take it personally when the whole goal of our profession is to keep the kids active in a healthy manor. and to hear that quote from Coach Hooks Struck a nerve and I  wanted to help educate the readers of what is up. Because for us to do our job DOES include researching ways (along with the other medical professions that were included on the committee) to keep athletes that are not from 3 generations ago healthy. Athletes that may stay inside a lot during the summer instead of tending the farm. Athletes that just may need a different kind of acclimatization than the Junction Boys did.

What were the thoughts when it was suggested that we do away with spear tackling. Now that was a while back but I wonder who all said "Those trainers they need to train and we will do the coaching".

The quote makes no sense because what we do IS research and collaborate with other medical professions to make things safer and healthier for the athletes. No one is telling someone how to coach or trying to do the coaching for them. That is why the quote won't make the 2009 Smartest List of Quotes.

I'm confused about how it will be cooler the second week of August, or third week, fourth week...yada, yada, yada.  Heat exhaustion is a serious issue (perhaps one that we haven't had yet), but I think that the key is proper hydration, proper time between sessions, and everyone (especially the trainers) watching for s/s of heat exhaustion.  I don't think the issue is two practices a day; I think that it should be more with common sense, pushing fluids, and watchful eyes. 

Energy drinks, supplements, etc., etc, etc. probably haven't been around long enough or at least don't have the data/statistics to back up the benefits/risks that they pose to people, especially our kids.  I've had two go through WO-S and they both asked to go to GNC to check out "vitamins and supplements".  They wanted to grab energy drinks at the convenience stores.  Negative to both.  I can tell you that I drank energy drinks for about a week and a half...stopped when the palpitations started.  I began experiencing flutters and decided that I might want to stick to my Sonic drinks!

Trainers are responsible for more than just wrapping ankles, applying ice, treatments...let the first athlete fall out and we'll find out just how responsible they are. 

What is the answer to coaches that have to get the kid in shape that has been setting in the ac for 3 months? If they cut out 2 a days they will have to let them start earlyer in the summer. Kids are to soft today and all this babying them is not helping. People wont to know why the kid from lower income family's make it as pro athletes. They don't have the X boxes and Playstations and sit in the ac for hours. They are out side playing something. Sorry I will get off the soap box.

I also think that there may be some misunderstanding in the interpretation. The proposal recommends no two-a-days the first week, not no practice the first week of August. The first five days are recommended to be one practice (no longer than three hours) and can even have a walk through later in the day. This is based on statistical data that there are kids dropping the first week because they are doing too much before getting acclimatized. So the recommendation is to take the proper time to acclimatize.

You think Coaches aren't educated enough to know when is enough and how to take care of situations? Coaches have to earn this thing they call a degree. And especially the ones that are Kinesiology Majors have to go through training and pass college courses dealing with the human body. They have to take first aid classes and be certified in cpr/aed. I am sure every Coaching staff across the state of Texas has competant coaches on their staff. And I am sure Coach Hooks has plenty on his staff too. I would love to see you have this conversation with him face to face, but I don't think it would happen.... for two reasons. I will leave that up to the imagination. 

By no means am I taking away from the safety of the kids, but I agree with Coach Hooks. 

My problem is the quote from Coach Hooks does not accurately address the situation as I mentioned before. I do not have a personal beef with Coach Hooks and am not getting prodded into what ever two reasons you are talking about not meeting with him to discuss his quotes.

As far as coaches having first aid and cpr and kinesiology, and that is great and I work with and respect coaches for their jobs. I personally am friends with all the coaches i have ever worked with. They also know that I do not make the calls on 4th down just as it is not their job or expertise in determining the proper health care for the athletes. That is why the athletic training profession exists. 

You are putting words in my mouth about not thinking coaches are educated. and that is not true. Do not start something up here that is not the issue.

I myself, seem to have a tendency to kick my kids butts outside during the summer ! I tell them go outside, play, swim, do something ! Yeah they are allowed to come in and out, but the majority of the time they are outside  !  My wife keeps about 2 gallons of Gatorade in the fridge for them to drink and lots of Kool aid and cold water. I grew up in the summers having to play outside ! OLD SCHOOL ! my mother would say get outside and don't come back in till I call for you or its getting dark or raining ! I know its different now days with all the electronic tech available for kids, but I do believe kids today are way to use to the A/C !  I have a son going into the 9th grade at PNG, he is going thru some serious strength and conditioning training every day for football, and on top of that he is playing Babe Ruth baseball ! He complains at times that it is hot but he keeps going and he keeps himself hydrated. He also wears underarmor clothing and he said that really helps to keep him feeling cooler ! Maybe that would help some of the players !

Regarding the whole 2 a days practices. Keep them, if someone comes into 2 a days out of shape and is sucking wind, then that's their problem. I don't see any area coach who would not let any of his players go get a drink of water. What i saw at PNG for spring practice was that the boys would get a drink about every 15 to 30 minutes. They had water coolers all over the place. In college we had 3 a days and the 2nd practice started at 2 pm. and went for about 2 hours. The 3rd was a shorts only at 7:30 at night for about 1 1/2 hours.

keep the 2 a days !  It will help the boys get into shape and acclimate to the heat and conditions. I don't really think that any coach would deny and player from getting a drink !

I dont think Coach Hooks was talking about HS Trainers, I think he was talking about that National Society. I can understand where you might get flustered, but if you knew coach Hooks personally, you would see his joking personality. He's always saying funny things. Prolly all he was doing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4