Area coaches have say about two-a-days!!!!!!!

I played for Coach Hooks and Thompson at WOS. Yah, it was hot as **** during two a days, but they knew our limits. They (and Mr. King, trainer) watched us like a hawk the whole time. Our trainer didnt sit in his AC'd office, he was out there with us and his fannie pack. :D(still makes me laugh). Like I said , they knew our limits....oh, and the ones that sat in the house all summer too. :D

I played for Coach Hooks and Thompson at WOS. Yah, it was hot as **** during two a days, but they knew our limits. They (and Mr. King, trainer) watched us like a hawk the whole time. Our trainer didnt sit in his AC'd office, he was out there with us and his fannie pack. :D(still makes me laugh). Like I said , they knew our limits....oh, and the ones that sat in the house all summer too. :D

And this is what struck a nerve with Coach Hooks, undoubtedly.  The report, whether intentionally or not, made it sound like coaches throughout the land were a bunch of no-neck sadists which would run their teams into the ground in two a days without any concern for the wellbeing of the kid.  That is what Coach Hooks and Coaches Creduer, Mathews and Alvarez took offense to as they have all indicated the methods they use to make sure that one of their kids does not become ill during practice.

jtown, what I think happened with Coach Hooks is that he had the same feelings stirred inside of him that you had stirred inside of you when you saw his quote.

Fair enough. I will stop my griping. I hope they (the media) follows up and better explains the Recommendation and so that the public will see it was not calling for a major upset in how 2-a-days are set up. That football practices will still start at the same time, just the first week will be toned back to 1 three hour practice with a follow up 1 hour walk through. And that the recommendation was based on a collaboration between a committee of medical doctors, athletic directors, and certified athletic trainers. So not just "trainers" came up with a way to make things safer for the kids with minimal changes.

And true, after sleeping on it, I realize that it was not the dumbest quote i have ever heard. Just the dumbest at the time. I will step off now. If anyone wants more information to better informed on the UIL rules regarding this visit the front page of www.nata.org or www.uil.texas.edu

I think that it is just as much of the parents responsibility to make sure that there kid shows up in some kind of shape. It is not the coaches that let the kid set in the ac when the payed gardener cuts there grass. At some point the parent is going to have and parent. You cant let someone else do all the work raysing your kid. You cant let a kid show up for 2 a days out of shape and blame the coach for him getting sick. At some point you have to take responsibility for yourself. It is Saterday morring how many kids do you see in your neighborhood out side?  :)

I think that Matthews from Vidor is correct when he said that they should not be drinking the energy drinks. I believe those are a disaster in the making. Since when do 16 and 17 year old kids need energy drinks anyway? Maybe it's just the culture of needing to put something into our bodies for everything. If you want to wake up, take something. If you want to go to sleep, take something. If you are about to play sports, take something.

I agree. Those, like sugar, are ok in moderation. Aslong as they drink water before inplace of energy drinks they'll be ok. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats