How's the Offshore been going?

I went 95 miles out last Wed.  Caught all the AJ's you could want, but had to come in clsere to get snapper.  The biggest was 14#.  Had 1 barraccuda, and 1 big king.  No ling or durado.  I think were a bit too far out for those, actually.  It was a great day overall.

My son tried this morn. (Sat), but made it out as far as the 18 mi. light before turning around because of the 4-5' seas.  The weather channels were lying, since at the SAME TIME, they were reporting 3' at the bouy 30 mi. out.

Man, they are horrible some times.

Good Luck

I went 95 miles out last Wed.  Caught all the AJ's you could want, but had to come in clsere to get snapper.  The biggest was 14#.  Had 1 barraccuda, and 1 big king.  No ling or durado.  I think were a bit too far out for those, actually.  It was a great day overall.

My son tried this morn. (Sat), but made it out as far as the 18 mi. light before turning around because of the 4-5' seas.  The weather channels were lying, since at the SAME TIME, they were reporting 3' at the bouy 30 mi. out.

Good Luck

Did you find alot of big weed lines? If so, were they in close or out 95 miles or so. I'm heading out to a place called triple rig. It's 95 out in about 190 ft deep. Saw a Marlin there last year. Caught all the AJ's you could handle along with my first Wahoo.

Good Luck

Did you find alot of big weed lines? If so, were they in close or out 95 miles or so. I'm heading out to a place called triple rig. It's 95 out in about 190 ft deep. Saw a Marlin there last year. Caught all the AJ's you could handle along with my first Wahoo.

We saw NO sizable weedlines at all.  It was pretty calm too, but it had been windy for a few days before that, so they didn't have time to bunch up good.

• 1 month later...

This year has been one of the best years I can recall in a long while.  I have had some many snapper over 20 lb on my boat this year I don't even know where to begin.  Not being a real fan of snapper fishing, it's been a nice added value considering you can only have 2 fish in federal waters.  I had a girlfriend on the boat in June for her first offshore trip ever and her first fish ever was a 35 lb snapper.  Man what a sow of a fish.  As for grouper I have had a 40-110 lb warsaw on almost every trip this year and some very nice scamps.  The darn things just seem to be jumping in the boat after learning some tricks with my bottom maching, which made all the difference.  Ling and tripple tail have been very good too.  On a trip in July I pulled up on a weed patch that had drifted over a wreck in about 240 feet of water and a the bottom of the weed patch was covered in triple tail.  As we are slinging them in the boat about 8 ling and a few small sharks swam to the boat.  Can you say RODEO....  Man we had freaking fish all over the boat.  Just as we slowed on the ling a nice wahoo flashed behind the boat and it was on again.  In april we fished the east breaks and picked up 4 very nice sails in 2 days and a few very nice dodo's (Mahi).  The tuna fishing has either been VERY GOOD or VERY BAD.  Like PNG said, the AJ's have been everywhere this year and up until July they were just kicking my tail trying to catch them.  Seemed as if when live bait was available they wanted jigs and when jigs were all we had they wanted live bait.  July was a different ball game and we finally started hitting them pretty good.  On one trip this year we caught a 9-foot plus scalloped hammer head, which missed the state record by just a few pounds and a few inches.  I am doing a full-body mount for the guy who caught it.  Only two marlin this year, both on same trip, biggest about 450 other maybe 250. Both caught 1-week before POCO. 

Well, that's my report.         

240' of water?? You must have been 100+ miles out of Sabine OR Galv, we ran East 40 miles Sat out of Sabine, NEVER got over 50' checked a cpl of wrecks in the the 170s area>>>>NO ONE home....

Nah, running southwest out of Freeport.  Fishing in and around the east breaks area (55-70 mile range).  There is 1000+ feet of water out that way (also known as the grand canyon on the gulf).  I fish Freeport mainly because of the shallow depths out of Galveston.  You can get 250+ of water in most directions out of freeport within 60-70 miles.  Back side of Tequilla rig is over 450 and close to very deep water and that's about 65-70 out.  Have not done much from Sabine, however I guess if you run South/East out of Sabine you could get some deeper water? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham