Kickers.....The unsung hero's of the game

Guest Lions

Guest Lions

They stand on the sidelines by themselves, they have less than 3 minutes of playing time in a game. Yet have all the pressure in the world on their shoulders when its time to win the game. Whether its a miss extra point or a chilly -dip on a fg attempt, kickers are a special breed. Talk about your kickers at your respective schools.

its Good!

My thoughts on kickers. If he is a true kicker,and by that I mean he does nothing else in practice but kicks.When he runs onto the field in the last seconds and kicks a field goal,he and the other guys who did their jobs for 48 minutes won the game.If he misses he and the other guys who played 48 minutes didn't do their jobs well enough to win. It's a team game.

MMSLB, I agree with what you have said. I kickers have a different kind of pressure. As Lions is saying if they run out there and have to kick a field goal to win or lose a game is tough, and yes if the kicker has the opportunity to kick for a win then the team did their job, but if the kicker misses then all heads turn to the kicker for missing and losing the game, and more often that not if the kicker does miss the kick for a win he will blame no one but himself for the L in the colum instead of the W. I am a firm believer you either win or lose as a TEAM.

Yeah that fumble at the one in the first quarter, or the holding penalty in the third that killed a drive  is just as big as a missed kick. As  coaches, at any level, we need to make a kid realize not one person won or lost a game. I realize all eyes are on kickers in those last few seconds and if he makes it people say he won the game,if he misses people say he lost the game,IMO neither is true. It's kind of like the QB getting all the glory or all the blame. If you watch film of a game you can find things in every quarter that turned the game one way or the other. The remedy for this is never leave the game on a kickers foot if at all possible. ;)

A quick kicker story. A few years ago I was at Kyle Field watching A&M play Texas Tech. The game goes into overtime,TT scores and kicks the extra point, A&M gets the ball scores and misses the extra point. I have never left a stadium with an emptier feeling. I felt sorry for the kicker, but I also had a feeling of a game should never end like this. Four quarters of great football and an exciting overtime and it all ends on a missed extra point!!!  :-\ Oh and for the record it wasn't blocked, the snap and hold where good, it was just wide right.

They stand on the sidelines by themselves, they have less than 3 minutes of playing time in a game. Yet have all the pressure in the world on their shoulders when its time to win the game. Whether its a miss extra point or a chilly -dip on a fg attempt, kickers are a special breed. Talk about your kickers at your respective schools.

its Good!

I think we should have one of the best in the district this year. Lions, is your kicker coming back this year?

Kicker

How can you post that.

WOS best winning % in Tx, they had 2 good kickers, you and Big Lou.

Actually there were a few great kickers from WOS. (In no order)R.Turkell, B. Prouse C. Dryden(my predecessor),F. Shuman(My successor), J.Wheatly,S. Smith (punter only) etc. I know there are some that I cant remember. Oh, and i heard David Taylor (WO high) could punt a mile. I also think Justin Sparrow of WOS will turn some heads this year. I worked with him a little and he looks to be a good one.

As a former kicker not too long ago, I know what it's like... In my situation though, it was alot easier... I was really good friends with everyone on the team, and so if I did something wrong they were all there to support me... Trahan is really good, and yes he can kick it a mile, but when it comes down to it, you still have to be able to put it between the posts, so accuracy is the most important thing... Luckily I never missed a field goal or extra point so I didn't have to bare the scrutiny of everyone being mad at your for losing the game...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32