Best of the Big Boys?

Okay guys, it's my first post, so how about helping me out and making it a good one....

The quarterbacks and wide outs get all the love, but games are won and lost in the trenches. Who was the biggest, baddest, and best lineman to come through your school?

I used to hate going to Jasper in the late 90's to deal with Victor Payne (TCU?) because I knew it would be a long night. He was by far the toughest competitor I lined up against.

In Dayton, under Stewart ( ;D or football jesus as we call him from my section of the bleachers ;D), i would think it would have to be Gene Tennison or Mike Mabry.

What do you say, who was the best big guy to come through your program?

When I played at WB in the early 90's, it was no question Frank Middleton and Calvin Collins. Nobody during that time dominated thier opposition like these guys and they played both ways.  WB has probably produced most of talented linemen in this area for the last 25 years overall.

Dayton 1998 team-player/beast lineman D.J.Dever(lost to LaMarque in a thriller in the Dome)La Marque dbl.and tripled this man among boys.Linebacker also that comes to mind Lonnie McGowen(Dayton) along w/offense and defensive end Ricky Eggleston(DHS grad that did well@Sam Houston University)

Had some good ones at WO-S.  One of the better ones, Tim Matherne, just graduated last year.  Of course, the mid 80's probably brought the best line (Jim Bob Aven, Paul Hebert, Tony Bray, Marvis Brown).  Louis Moore was one in the early 80's that got all state honors while WO-S was 5A.

If we are just basing this on high school performance, then for Silsbee you would have to start with William Morrisey, Willie Ray Smith award winner and first team all state defensive tackle. He was a man among boys. Also Britt Lively, Ahmad Jones, Daniel Paulus, and Josh Skinner of recent years were some good ones.

Going back a few decades you would have to mention Hiawatha Hickman. Even further back in years would be Craig McGallion, Gerald Skinner and Charles Powell.

If we are just basing this on high school performance, then for Silsbee you would have to start with William Morrisey, Willie Ray Smith award winner and first team all state defensive tackle. He was a man among boys. Also Britt Lively, Ahmad Jones, Daniel Paulus, and Josh Skinner of recent years were some good ones.

Going back a few decades you would have to mention Hiawatha Hickman. Even further back in years would be Craig McGallion, Gerald Skinner and Charles Powell.

What??? Jeremy Johnson...not a "big boy"?

;D

What??? Jeremy Johnson...not a "big boy"?

;D

He could probably lay a block or two and make a tackle if needed. I just hope he won't have too. ;D

Grad, I'm thinking Ray Rogers, who made first team all-state in the early 80's...Stephen Lee, who was a third-team All American (Div. 1AA) his senior year at Lamar...Pat Arnett, who was almost unblockable in just about every game his senior year...but what left the biggest impression on me among WO-S lineman was the entire OL in the '97 season that blocked for Tim Feathers.  They were big and very physical.  It was five yards and a puddle of blood on every handoff.  

O-Linemen - James Gulley.  I believe he was on that 2005 team.  I may be wrong.  He was the inventor of the 'pancake'.  :D

D-Line - Anthony Collins - And absolute stud at DE on the 2003 Jag team.  He had size, technique, and had opposing QB's running for their life.  Oh yea, He's in the NFL now!  ;D ;D

Gonna have to go with Joe Carter who graduated in 92' from Dayton.  This guy was a monster 6'06" and 300 plus.  Played and started all 4 years at McNeese St.  I wanna say that was probably one of, if not, the biggest lines to come through Dayton that year, averaged right at 300lbs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4