Region 3 3A

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

You think that Cleveland and Navasota pose a legitimate threat in your region? I thought that you and Silsbee were so much better than those guys.  They sometimes have athletes, but solid programs will beat athletes in most years.

HJ beat Cleveland to get to Huntsville in overtime and the entire team returns.  Yes, they pose a very legitimate threat, and in this case, I KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES BETTER than you do but of course you will not admit it and will do your darndest to discredit it.

I never said that you didn't know about 3A ball circumstances better than me....Which is why I ASKED THE QUESTION and stated my OPINION...On the defense, aren't we?  ::)

....183A  had two teams in the regional tourney last year........HJ squeaked by Hudson and beat Jasper(the third place team) ...........

This is a minor point, but Center was the third place team in 18-3a last year.  Jasper and Hudson tied for first place, with Hudson winning the seeding game played at Livingston.

Guest nostradamus

DV,

4 of the 5 teams that we played to get into the state tournament would have done just as well there (if not better).

Navasota, Cleveland, Hudson, and Jasper all would have done just fine in Austin and a couple of those teams would have matched up (on paper) even better than we did.

Navasota and Cleveland have as much basketball tradition as any of the schools around.  Cleveland was a regular in the 4A playoffs and since dropping to 3A have played in a couple of regional finals.  Surely you know Navasota's history.....39-0 undefeated 3A state champions in 1990......they are a contender for the regional tournament almost every year in this region.  Crockett has a GREAT basketball history.....and they arguably have had a good enough team to advance to Austin the past several years.....I GUARANTEE you....ANY of the teams just mentioned would do just fine against your "Dallas Bias" (even though you like to be politically correct and refer to all of region II....we know what you are really saying).....

Guest nostradamus

If you don't believe me about Hudson just ask the teams from the Central tournament this year......as for Navasota.....ask the 4A and 5A teams they beat this year.....Navasota has lost a total of SEVEN games the last three years.....and they don't play a weak schedule.

Guest DickVitale

So you mean to tell me that region winning 4 of the last 5 class 3A titles hold NO WEIGHT in your eyes? You can't be serious..... ::) Navasota hasn't been to Austin SINCE 1990...Cleveland? They used to be competitive back in the day, but now they still haven't turned that program into the power that it COULD be. Lufkin Hudson? Dont remember seeing them, but if they were that good, they would have won the region...Then gotten beat by the region II representative! Face it, region II is just better now. Been better overall for the last 5 years at least, in class 3A.  

If you don't believe me about Hudson just ask the teams from the Central tournament this year......as for Navasota.....ask the 4A and 5A teams they beat this year.....Navasota has lost a total of SEVEN games the last three years.....and they don't play a weak schedule.

Three of those losses in the last three years came at the hands of HJ as well.  All 3 ending the rattlers season!!!!!

....183A  had two teams in the regional tourney last year........HJ squeaked by Hudson and beat Jasper(the third place team) ...........

This is a minor point, but Center was the third place team in 18-3a last year.  Jasper and Hudson tied for first place, with Hudson winning the seeding game played at Livingston.

sorry j-dog I guess my memory is slipping... lol...Jasper was on a major roll. Spikes and Bailey was fun to watch.

Guest nostradamus

The fact that 4 of the 5 past state champions does hold weight and does mean that region II has had the better teams in the state tournament......that doesn't mean that region II is better overall and top to bottom.  I'll argue till I am blue in the face that Region III has ALWAYS been the deeper region (with the exception of a year or two).....Sure, the top dogs in region II are very very good as evidenced by the state championships BUT, that doesn't mean the region as a whole is better.....that IS NOT the case.

Here is a stat or two for you.  Madison won their playoff games up to the state tournament by an average of 15.5 points per game.  HJ won their playoff games up to the state tournament by an average of 9.2 points per game.  If you throw out the first round romping over liberty(and I throw this out because none of the other state tournament teams had to play a first round game) HJ won their other 4 playoff games leading to the state tournament by an average of 5.5 points per game.  Whether you want to argue it or not DV HJ, Estacado, and Dallas Madison we very evenly matched and the results proved it.  Region 3 was deeper last year without a question.

Guest DickVitale

OK, I will go with that.  Do you think that HJ could have gotten to Austin out of region II last season? What about Silsbee in 08? I really don't think that those teams would have made it out of region II. You say region III is DEEPER? I just think there is more parity in region III, with lower level talent. I just feel that the 2nd and 3rd tier teams in region II COULD win region III in 3A. Results show up in Austin....4 out of 5 is your answer. Numbers don't lie.

Guest nostradamus

Lower level talent???  Seriously???  ::)  You know as well as I do that any team that has made it out of our region III could make it out of region II.  The bottom line is this....once you get to the regional tournament anything can happen.....so the question we are asking is could any of these region III teams make it to the regionals in region II.......that answer is a resounding yes.....too many factors go into the regional tournament weekend to just play it out on paper.

OK, I will go with that.  Do you think that HJ could have gotten to Austin out of region II last season? What about Silsbee in 08? I really don't think that those teams would have made it out of region II. You say region III is DEEPER? I just think there is more parity in region III, with lower level talent. I just feel that the 2nd and 3rd tier teams in region II COULD win region III in 3A. Results show up in Austin....4 out of 5 is your answer. Numbers don't lie.

HJ, Silsbee, Jasper and Hudson would of had a shot at reg.II last year......its all about match ups.

Guest DickVitale

Nos, I could go with you on that if the same team in Region II were winning it every year, like Dallas SOC was in 4A....Its a different 3A team year in and year out winning state out of that region! You can't possibly attempt to say that region III is better with one state champion in the last five years...If it were better, it would show in Austin. You don't think that THEY have a legitimate argument as to which region is better right now? You know better than that! I realize where your loyalty is, but the numbers do not correlate to what you are arguing.

Nos give up bro!!!!  DV is always right!!!  He will continue to downplay HJ, Silsbee, Lamar, Lamar State College and anything else in SE Texas!!!!  We are beneath him and everything that he stands for!!!!  Yet the peak of his career was right here in SE Texas!!!!! ;D ;D

Nos, I could go with you on that if the same team in Region II were winning it every year, like Dallas SOC was in 4A....Its a different 3A team year in and year out winning state out of that region! You can't possibly attempt to say that region III is better with one state champion in the last five years...If it were better, it would show in Austin. You don't think that THEY have a legitimate argument as to which region is better right now? You know better than that! I realize where your loyalty is, but the numbers do not correlate to what you are arguing.

Dickie V.  What part of DEEP do you not understand?  Just because a different team wins it from region 2 means nothing!!! Does it mean a team from a year before is good the next year NO!!!  HJ beats navasota by 7 in a game that was back and forth the entire game.  They beat Cleveland by 3 in OT in a game that obviously could have gone either way.  They beat Hudson by 3 in the regional semi and Jasper by 9 in the regional final.  No state tournament team took this tough of a road. PERIOD! Which makes the region deeper after HJ proved it could play with ANYONE at that state tournament by the way they played there!

Spinks give up bro!!!!  DV is always right!!!  He will continue to downplay HJ, Silsbee, Lamar, Lamar State College and anything else in SE Texas!!!!  We are beneath him and everything that he stands for!!!!  Yet the peak of his career was right here in SE Texas!!!!!  ;D ;D

Guest DickVitale

I am talking about facts here. Nothing more, nothing less.....If the NFC wins four of the next five Super Bowls, it will be a reasonable assumption to say that the NFC might be stronger than the AFC. MAYBE.  If the AFC were SO GOOD, they would win th title more than ONCE IN FIVE YEARS...Thats all I am saying.  BTW, Lazeek, the titles for me have just BEGUN...I have been to "the show" and intend on going back.....If you don't know you had better ask somebody. ;)

I am talking about facts here. Nothing more, nothing less.....If the NFC wins four of the next five Super Bowls, it will be a reasonable assumption to say that the NFC might be stronger than the AFC. MAYBE.  If the AFC were SO GOOD, they would win th title more than ONCE IN FIVE YEARS...Thats all I am saying.  BTW, Lazeek, the titles for me have just BEGUN...I have been to "the show" and intend on going back.....If you don't know you had better ask somebody. ;)

Whose coat tails do you plan on riding this time???

Guest DickVitale

Dickie V.  What part of DEEP do you not understand?  Just because a different team wins it from region 2 means nothing!!! Does it mean a team from a year before is good the next year NO!!!  HJ beats navasota by 7 in a game that was back and forth the entire game.  They beat Cleveland by 3 in OT in a game that obviously could have gone either way.  They beat Hudson by 3 in the regional semi and Jasper by 9 in the regional final.  No state tournament team took this tough of a road. PERIOD! Which makes the region deeper after HJ proved it could play with ANYONE at that state tournament by the way they played there!

Spinks....DEEP MEANS MULTIPLE TEAMS in this example...How many teams won state from region III in the last five years....ONE...How many DIFFERENT teams have won state in region II in the last five years....FOUR....YOU do the math, genius! If region III were so "deep" than it would have a better shot at winning it all in class 3A. Right? Truth is, REGION III JUST IS NOT THAT GOOD IN 3A! PERIOD.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Castaway57
    Newest Member
    Castaway57