Eagles boast tall players, high hopes

Eagles boast tall players, high hopes

By Robert Chambliss

Correspondent

Published August 4, 2009

Two-a-days kicked off early Monday morning for Barbers Hill’s volleyball program, and there was nothing but high hopes already in the air.

For senior Kirsten Terry, this is going to be a season of excitement.

“So far it looks like we have made progress from last year, “Terry said. “Our team has gotten stronger over the summer, and it looks like as a group we are playing collectively well.â€

The improvements also have impressed senior Alissa Johnson as her team practices hard on the first day back.

“I think we will be great this year,†Johnson said. “It is obvious that our team has improved greatly since the past season.

“I think that the strength and conditioning program that our team did over the summer really is showing now that we are on the court. This newfound strength in the end will help us pursue the goal of district championship.â€

For head coach John Leonard, this season looks to be like a season of tradition once again.

“So far I have seen exactly what I have wanted to see,†Leonard said. “The team is hustling, they are showing tremendous teamwork, and they are picking up where they left off.

“Over the past six years, we have won or been co-district champions. With this group of girls, I feel that we can continue that streak once again.â€

The Eagles may have lost some of their key players from last year, but this Eagles team includes four girls that can all block the ball by barely jumping.

“This is a particularly tall group of girls we have this year,†Leonard said. “We have had height in the past, but it was only here and there.

“With this group, we have never-ending height. I don’t believe that we have ever had this many girls that big on the court at the same time.

“But what will be good is that we will add a strong front line to the already strong back that we have.â€

Senior Taylor Barnett agrees with the height and also talks of her high expectations.

“I believe with the girls we have, we will win district,†Barnett said. “My goals for this team is to hopefully go undefeated in district, and to make it to the state tournament.

“We are tall and powerful, and I feel that we will have a lot of blocks this year. Whatever it is that we want, I believe we can achieve. All I can do is hope that we do the best every time we step out onto the court.â€

Guest bleed orange

I hope the coach is right, but that is a bold statement. Bulletin board material for other schools. I hope she can back it up. I am pulling for the underdogs now.

Guest bleed orange

Bleed what did you want her to say?  "Well we might make it to the playoffs" "I hope we can win some games" "My team is ok I guess"

You say, "We should have a pretty good team and a shot at the district championship". Not, we will win district. Its one thing to think it but when you announce it sometimes it can come back and bite you. In my opinion why put a target on your back. People would come up and to me after basketball games and say you daughter played a good game. In my opinion she never played a good game there was always room for improvement.

Guest bleed orange

The coach said he hoped to continue the way things had gone in the past.  A player made the statement about winning district. 

Your right my bag, I guess I should read more closely. I did not have my glasses on. It is OK if a kid says something like that. Sorry, I thought it was the coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05