Lady Cats expecting another big season

Lady Cats expecting another big season

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — Orangefield volleyball coach Kristen Holbrooks has had the date 11-21-09 in her mind for a while.

She even has it as her signature for her text messages.

Holbrooks knows it will take a lot for the Lady Bobcats to keep playing until Nov. 21 but there is no reason to not expect a trip to the state tournament.

“You should always want to be the best,†Holbrooks said. “It is not show-boating but I want us to achieve the best. I saw the tournament date and I wanted to get it into everyone’s heads.â€

The Lady Bobcats were busy this past week preparing for the upcoming season and Holbrooks knows this year could be another banner year for Orangefield.

“Volleyball was always quiet in Orangefield,†Holbrooks said. “Our girls are learning every day. They want to be like Bridge City, Silsbee and Hamshire-Fannett who are known for making the playoffs on a yearly basis.â€

The Lady Bobcats are certainly set up for it this year after placing third last year in District 21-3A.

Orangefield has a group of powerful hitters and a solid back row gives the Lady Bobcats a very capable defense.

The Lady Bobcats are going to be without Morgan Taylor, who was their libero last season. Taylor is out for the season with a knee injury.

“It was a major concern going in on who would replace her,†Holbrooks said. “Both Kasidy Hayes and Hayley Cole have shown great improvements. It has been phenomenal.â€

Senior Aimee Scales is back and knows the Orangefield system inside and out.

Scales has watched the Orangefield volleyball program grow from something the girls did until basketball started to now wanting to win in both sports on equal footing.

“This is serious now,†Scales said. “It is more than a game to us now. We are hoping to make it further than we did last year. I think if we put it all together, we can do it.â€

Scales has been around the varsity teams ever since she was a freshman. Now as a senior, she is looking to become more of a leader.

“When I was a freshman I was scared to death,†Scales said. “Now I look up and ask where it all went. You have to improve each year or at least try to get better. Last year I did not talk too much but this year it has come a lot easier. It is my turn to be the leader so I might as well step up.â€

Holbrooks knows the Lady Bobcats will have a tough road in District 21-3A.

Teams like Bridge City, Hardin-Jefferson, Silsbee and Hamshire-Fannett will make it hard for Orangefield to return to the playoffs.

“Bridge City looks much stronger than last year and Hamshire-Fannett is always a great program,†Holbrooks said. “There is no doubt Silsbee will be good and Hardin-Jefferson is always a good team. I saw West Orange in summer league and they look better than I have ever seen them. 3A volleyball in our area will turn some heads. We have to concentrate on one game at a time.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gametyme05
    Newest Member
    Gametyme05