Tidbits from Bob West column

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Steve Roccaforte is trying to low key his eight-player recruiting class, but one player who really has the LU basketball coach excited is 6-9 freshman Justin Wesley. Roccaforte is so high on Wesley, in fact, he says he’s going to remind people of former Cardinal star Alan Daniels, although he doesn’t expect him to perform on Daniels’ level as a freshman. Wesley certainly has the bloodlines. He’s the brother of former Kansas star Keith Langford, who went on to play for the San Antonio Spurs. Another brother, Kevin Langford, played two years at Cal and two years at TCU.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_248191946.html?keyword=topstory

Guest DickVitale

We have to be realistic here. The truth of the matter is, that at 6'9" if he were a pro, or even had pro potential, do you REALLY think he would choose Lamar over say......Texas? Or Oklahoma? or Kansas? Lets be realistic for a moment.  I have several high major players in my program and have been contacted by every major division I school in the country over the last month.  Not one call from LU and those guys know me personally.  Why is that you say? They knw they don't have a shot in heck at getting them.  It is what it is.  Hopefully this kid pans out for LU, but chances are, he's no pro.

Guest DickVitale

Tough district. Tough region. Lots of good teams fighting for that top spot. Thats the plan though, however! We shall all see.. ;) However, this thread is not about us, I was simply using my group as an example to make my point about the LU recruiting class.

We have to be realistic here. The truth of the matter is, that at 6'9" if he were a pro, or even had pro potential, do you REALLY think he would choose Lamar over say......Texas? Or Oklahoma? or Kansas? Lets be realistic for a moment.  I have several high major players in my program and have been contacted by every major division I school in the country over the last month.  Not one call from LU and those guys know me personally.  Why is that you say? They knw they don't have a shot in heck at getting them.  It is what it is.  Hopefully this kid pans out for LU, but chances are, he's no pro.

I didn't say he was high major talent at all. I'm just saying a 6'9 Alan Daniels sounds like NBA talent... considering Alan Daniels was maybe borderline NBA caliber (not even that close), but give him a few inches and who knows. I didn't say Justin Wesley was a top 150 recruit. Just sounds like he was a steal is what I'm implying. My only hope is he could be the next Jason Thompson or some sleeper from a low major who develops into a somebody.

Jump off my back why don't ya.  ;) BTW, this is from TexasHoops.. take what you want from the article.

Wesley could be best 'Langford' of all

Because his last name isn't Langford, Justin Wesley often times doesn't receive the recognition or respect he deserves.

Wesley, a 6-8 forward, is the half-brother of Keith and Kevin Langford, two of North Crowley's finest basketball alumni. His name isn't as recognizable, but Tommy Brakel believes his game could be just as strong as his brothers' after a couple of years of fine-tuning at Lamar.

"Lamar got such a steal with him. I mean, I was talking to Wake Forest about him," Brakel said of Wesley, who averaged 9.7 points and a team-high 6.6 rebounds. "His upside is tremendous, and he wants to get better."

Wesley signed with Lamar but also had interest from Oklahoma State, Baylor, Oklahoma and Tulane. His ability to rebound on both ends and block shots using his athleticism makes him a very intriguing player as he prepares for the Southland Conference.

Wesley lived in the Fort Worth area until the eighth grade, when he and his mother moved to the Houston area (he attended Klein Collins). When Hurricane Ike blew through the Gulf Coast area, they moved back to Fort Worth to live with family. He found himself at the school he originally thought he'd attend – North Crowley.

"To me personally, everything came full circle," Brakel said. "It only seemed right for him to play his senior year at North Crowley."

Guest DickVitale

OK....9.7 ppg, and 6.6 rebounds? Those are some pro stats there I tell ya!!  ::) ::)....He is a good Southland caliber kid...No more, no less.  Maybe he can avg 10 ppg by his senior year at LU. Then he would be servicable.

Wow DickieV-

That was a high school team that had 6 guys avg 10ppg and no pg once Willie Warren left.  Did see this kid play in Houston for Houston hoops aau team. He has unbelievable athleticism for his size. He is not aggressive though.  Needs to get stronger too.

What makes him so intriguing is at his size he can play on perimeter.

Osas, Wesley and Stanford can be pretty good in a couple of years.  They are very RAW.

BTW,

NBA talent not just coming from Duke and NC anymore.  Check last drafts.

Guest DickVitale

Well NBA talent is certainly NOT coming from Lamar, I will tell you that! (lol) I think that LU does not need RAW high school talent. In that league, if they could go out and get some RIGHT NOW juco talent, they could make a splash in the Southland.  Developing lower level talent high school kids will get you beat until they are juniors, and at that point they are not really getting better because they are having to be thrown into a fire in which they are not yet ready for.  SFA is getting it.  Kasper has completely changed his recruiting thought process.  He is going after High D-I transfers and juco players that have been in the wars of college basketball, and its paid off to a degree.

Funny you say that because the JUCO approach hasn't worked in the SLC in quite a while.

Look at the teams that have represented this conference in the NCAA or been the tops in the conference the last several years.

NWS had a good run with a group of HS kids they matured with.

SHSU has done the same.

SFA last few years...How many impact JUCO guys?

A&M CC won with HS kids.

I think you got this one all wrong. One of the reasons more Mids and Lows are knocking off the big dogs each year is because they are developing continuity through HS recruits. the majors are losing the top talent after one and two years and look like they are starting over each year albeit with great talent, but very little continuity and alot of me first attitude.

Just one mans opinion!

Guest DickVitale

I dont know the names right off, but SFA IS definitely using that and the transfer approach.  I understand about developing players for four years, but the talent level of the HS guys that the Southland gets as compared to say the Big 12, Big East, or ACC gets is night and day.  Some schools may luck up on a high major guy in the Southland, but if they do, best believe they come with some sort of baggage.  However, I get your point about four year guys being better than two.

I dont know the names right off, but SFA IS definitely using that and the transfer approach.  I understand about developing players for four years, but the talent level of the HS guys that the Southland gets as compared to say the Big 12, Big East, or ACC gets is night and day.  Some schools may luck up on a high major guy in the Southland, but if they do, best believe they come with some sort of baggage.  However, I get your point about four year guys being better than two.

The only big named transfer SFA has gotten is Harrison Smith that I think, is there anyone else?

Look at Northwestern State. Their entire core of players that went to the 2nd Round of the NCAA's 3 years ago were all players who were around each other for 4 years.

Guest DickVitale

I thought they were getting a big from Western Kentucky, I think. Maybe he was supposed to go there and went juco for a year, I am not sure, but I was told by the guys on their staff that this was the route they were taking because it was working for them.

Guest coachacola

I do like the mix of JUCOs and HS players Roc has brought in.  LU needed guards that could contribute right away so he brought in JUCO players.  He already has plenty of big guys so he brought in HS players that don't need to contribute right away.  Roc does need to turn the corner and start winning some SLC championships.  There's no reason why LU shouldn't be winning big in the SLC.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32