Crosby

Sluggish starts have Crosby at 1-2

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun

Published September 22, 2006

A record of 1-2 was not the start the Crosby coaching staff envisioned in the weeks leading into the 2006 football season. But losses to Port Neches-Groves and Dickinson have the Cougars sitting below .500 heading into District 21-4A action.

Despite the slow start, CHS head coach Kevin Flanigan is confident that the Cougars will meet the expectations they have placed on themselves. In the loss to PNG, they nearly overcame a 21-0 second-half deficit falling 21-14. In the loss to Dickinson the Cougars led until the final play of the game.

A few plays here, a couple of calls there and Crosby could very well be 3-0 on the year. But slow starts and inconsistency on the defensive end have earned the Cougars a grade of C in the first weeks of the season.

“I think we are a B and I say that because I think we are doing some good things,†Flanigan said. “We just need to put it together. I think we are getting there and I think it is going to happen.

“Attitudes are great and we are having great practices. This group is special as far as their ability to bounce back. I think they know they can be a good team. It’s not a physical thing, it is a mental thing.â€

One area in which the Cougars have seen progress leading into district is in the running game. After struggling on the ground in the first two games, Crosby broke out against Dickinson with 219 yards. Sophomore Chance Casey had 125 yards and Toris Doze added 84 on only 10 carries.

“The zone offense is a slow process,†Flanigan said. “It’s an offensive line deal but the running backs have to learn they only get one cut and then they have to head north and south. They have to understand that four yards is a good play and they will pop one eventually.â€

According to Flanigan the most pleasant surprise so far has been the development of the offensive line and their attention to detail. While the Cougars struggled in the running game in the first two games of the season, they did enjoy some success in the air. First-year quarterback Durran Starks has had his bumps along the road — particularly in the PNG game where he committed four turnovers. The junior did rebound to nearly lead Crosby to a comeback victory.

“He is a young junior,†Flanigan said. “Things are happening a lot faster than they did at the JV level. But he has gotten better in every game.â€

Defensive was expected to be the strong point of the team early in the season with nine returning starters from last year. Instead mental mistakes have hurt the unit.

In the opener, Atascocita, in the first game in the school’s history, showed the ability to move the ball up and down the field. Against Dickinson, the Cougars gave up 35 points. That being said the defense did stand out against PNG as the Indians’ points came as a result of turnovers.

“I think we played really good against PNG,†Flanigan said. “Against Dickinson they didn’t carry over the things from practice. I think they are going to get better. They get out of their comfort zone against different offenses. I’m not really worried about those guys. I still believe this is going to be the best defense that Crosby has had in a while.â€

Brendon Smith, Andrew Webber and Kedy Enabulele have stood out early in the season for the Cougars according to Flanigan.

In each of the three games this season, Crosby has fallen behind to start the game. Coming out of the gate quicker and reaching their potential on defense will push the Cougars above the average level in no time at all.

Crosby can not be over-looked. Dickinson has one heck of a young QB and running back. BH has handled them the past 3-4 years, but they are going to be a good team the next few years. There is no reason for Crosby to be considered weak from being beat by Dickinson.

Well said BH fan.

Crosby will defeat BH this year :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: 8)

Now, give Crosby their due, but I am in no way going that far. :D:D Dickinson is NO BH....... :D:D Just ask Dickinson.

Crosby should contend for the 3rd playoff spot, but they will finish no better than 3rd. Crosby better focus on beating Huffman and accept the other 2 loses. :D:D :wink:

In the last 8 years or so they beat us 1 time, and our Q.B. had 8 fumbles in that game, they were just so cocky every year like dayton didn't even belong on the same field with them

I'm sure gonna miss beating them every year

I wonder if they lock the gates on their field now,,,lmao

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4