*Nederland vs. Lumberton Updates/Nederland wins 31-21

Unbelievable the turnaround this bunch has made...it is truly a testament to their character...certainly not the best Nederland team ever, but dang sure one of the most memorable...true guts and grit and to say we are proud of this group would be an understatement...outstanding job by the kids and coaches alike of overcoming tremendous adversity all season long...keep it going guys...this is too much fun to end right now

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigdog" post="700072" timestamp="1257570057"]
Congrats to the Dogs!!  We need to fix the TO's though, they kept lum in the game! [b]Ned doubled up on yards [/b] and d was very stingy, but giving them a short field didn' t help much.  Ned had 9 sacks in this game, we were camping out back there.  Lovelady had over 130 yds tonight. 
[/quote]

Lumberton actually had more yards. But ned D did step up when they had to. congrats on the win dogs.
OK all 20-4a playoff teams represent our district well. go get em' from 19-4a.
I'm pulling for all of ya'll

Here are my thoughts from the game...

Our defensive front has a lot to be proud of. They got in the backfield a lot and caused some chaos. I still see some problems with our pass defense, which has been our weakness for a few years now. We need to get it together or a team that passes well will shred us.

Overall, I think our strongest area is Special Teams by far! Trahan has got to be in the running for player of the year for Nederland. I know you dont want to punt the ball a lot, but when we have to, he does a great job at it. Not only punting, but on kickoffs as well.. I think everytime Trahan kicked off tonight it was a touchback.. That says a lot when a high school kicker is kicking it 5-10 yards deep in the endzone each time. He also kicked a 48 yarder that was most likely a 55-60 yarder.

On Offense, we struggled a bit tonight. i am glad we did not get away from the run game though. The running game came through big time in the second half. Hats off to lovelady on a great game. Forney had a lot more pressure than I like to see. If he gets a little more time, he does well at stepping into the pocket and delivering. I dont like to see him rolling out, because he is less accurate on the rollout. I wouldve liked to see a couple more deep balls to Brady. Lumberton had single coverage on him most of the night and if Dionte can get more time, he couldve hit Brady deep a lot more. I was also impressed with Schlett at wideout. He is a very underrated receiver and they need to go to him more. Salenga is talented athletically, but he scares me as a punt returner. I think he should be used more for handoffs and wildcat formations instead of receiving. He dropped a lot of balls tonight. Pretty good play calling by Barrow tonight. I think a few more crossing patterns wouldve been nice, it seemed open several times. All in all, the O Line needs to tighten up and give Forney just a couple more seconds and we can make some plays out there. Receivers can't drop balls though.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="700430" timestamp="1257576300"]
Here are my thoughts from the game...

Our defensive front has a lot to be proud of. They got in the backfield a lot and caused some chaos. I still see some problems with our pass defense, which has been our weakness for a few years now. We need to get it together or a team that passes well will shred us.

Overall, I think our strongest area is Special Teams by far![b] Trahan has got to be in the running for player of the year for Nederland. I know you dont want to punt the ball a lot, but when we have to, he does a great job at it. Not only punting, but on kickoffs as well.. I think everytime Trahan kicked off tonight it was a touchback.. That says a lot when a high school kicker is kicking it 5-10 yards deep in the endzone each time. He also kicked a 48 yarder that was most likely a 55-60 yarder. [/b]

On Offense, we struggled a bit tonight. i am glad we did not get away from the run game though. The running game came through big time in the second half. Hats off to lovelady on a great game. Forney had a lot more pressure than I like to see. If he gets a little more time, he does well at stepping into the pocket and delivering. I dont like to see him rolling out, because he is less accurate on the rollout. I wouldve liked to see a couple more deep balls to Brady. Lumberton had single coverage on him most of the night and if Dionte can get more time, he couldve hit Brady deep a lot more. I was also impressed with Schlett at wideout. He is a very underrated receiver and they need to go to him more. Salenga is talented athletically, but he scares me as a punt returner. I think he should be used more for handoffs and wildcat formations instead of receiving. He dropped a lot of balls tonight. Pretty good play calling by Barrow tonight. I think a few more crossing patterns wouldve been nice, it seemed open several times. All in all, the O Line needs to tighten up and give Forney just a couple more seconds and we can make some plays out there. Receivers can't drop balls though.
[/quote]

He had an AWESOME game tonight.  Way to go TT.

Nederland 31, Lumberton 21 - Final

Nederland Overall: 5-5  District: 4-3
Lumberton Overall: 5-5  District: 2-5
Boxscore
Friday November 6, 2009 7:30pm

1 2  3  4 Total
Nederland  7 7 10 7 31
Lumberton 14 0 7  0 21

Scoring summary
LUM -- Jesse Sparks 20-yard pass from Ryan Hughes (Cody Guiterrez kick), 6:15, 1st.
LUM -- Kyler Keith 60-yard interception return (Cody Guiterrez kick), 4:40, 1st.
NED -- Grant Lovelady 10-yard run (Taylor Trahan kick), 10:04, 1st.
NED -- Brent Salenga 31-yard pass from Dionte Forney (Taylor Trahan kick), 1:15, 2nd.
NED -- Grant Lovelady 3-yard run (Taylor Trahan kick), 8:10, 3rd.
LUM -- Lance Pace 26-yard pass from Ryan Hughes (Cody Guiterrez kick), 6:10, 3rd.
NED -- Taylor Trahan 48-yard field goal, 2:46, 3rd.
NED -- Brent Salenga 7-yard pass from Dionte Forney (Taylor Trahan kick), 11:19, 4th.

Team Stats
                  Nederland    Lumberton
Total yards    272            286
First downs    18              17
Rushes/Yds    36/149        33/77
Average rush  4.14            2.33
Comp/Atts    14/28/2        13/31/0
Pass yards      123            209
Comp pct        50            41.94
Punts            7                8
Punting Yards  38              41
Punting Average 5.43        5.13
Fumbles/Lost  2/1            4/3
Penalties-yards 3-20        3-25

Nederland
Passing
Name          Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Dionte Forney 14    28 50 123  2  2
Rushing
Name            Att  Yds  Yds/Att  Long TD
Grant Lovelady 16  124    7.8        0    2
Receiving
Name          Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Ryan Brady    3    27      9            0    0
Brent Salenga 8    56      7            0  2
Stephen Schlett 4 40    10          0  0

Lumberton
Passing
Name        Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Ryan Hughes 13 31 41.94 209 0 0
Rushing
Name      Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Ryan Asher 5 20 4 0 0
Taylor McDonald 7 43 6.1 0 0
Receiving
Name        Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Jesse Sparks 5 69 13.8 0 0
Ty Choate 3 58 19.3 0 0
Ryan Asher 1 18 18 0 0
Taylor McDonald 1 15 15 0 0
Jordan Granato 1 12 12 0 0
Chase McDonald 1 11 11 0 0
Lance Pace 1 26 26 0 0

Lumberton's going to have to solve the turnover & running game problem that plagued them all year.  These stats are indicative of the whole season except the PNG game.  We generally led or were equal in the positive stats but always led in the negative stats (turnovers & penalties).  The rushing game lacked this year after having 1,500+ rushers the last 2 years.  Hopefully the Raiders will have a very productive offseason and find the answers to the running game and turnovers. :-\

Say what you feel GoDogs27 Salenga did start off slow but he certainly made up for it.  He actually made (3) touchdowns.  Only (2) counted because of a holding call.  You can't expect these boys to always have a perfect game.  I overheard some people in the stands just ripping some of these boys apart and I did everything I could to control myself.  These boys are playing hard and with so much heart you know it tears them apart to make a mistake.  Sometimes I think yall forget just how much pressure they are under.
I think they are still adjusting to their new quarterback. And when they have to get on this site and read the negative that doesn't do anything for their self-confidence.  Leave the coaching to the coaches they have confidence in their players to step and they usually always do.

[quote name="Dogs2x2" post="702535" timestamp="1257787250"]
And when they have to get on this site and read the negative that doesn't do anything for their self-confidence.  Leave the coaching to the coaches they have confidence in their players to step and they usually always do.
[/quote]

I get what you are saying but you have to remember this is a football "DISCUSSION" forum. People are going to discuss, thats what the site is for and its what makes people come here at all for the sport of discussion in itself. They are going to discuss the good and they are going to discuss the bad. 100% of what you read here is pure opinion and nothing else unless a person is quoting actual historical data. Although I agree that we really should not call out players and coaches directly, I do believe that its the very nature of these sites that the performances on the field are sometimes going to be implied or called into question by the comments. Just like watching the commentators on ESPN, everyone involved has to take what they read/hear for what its worth which is absolutely nothing of value whatsoever, and make sure the kids understand the same. If I were a coach or parent, I would avoid this and all other sites like it altogether unless you are able to see it for nothing more than entertainment value. I would FORBID the kids from reading any of this junk. Its DEFINITELY not to be taken seriously. I dont even take myself seriously, much less what any other self proclaimed (or implied) authority has to say on here. I was doing this before there was a single purpose built Texas football site in the web way back in 1996, we did our talking with MsNed, Jake94, GoStangs, Coog4Life and the famous Austin Kinghorn from Barbers Hill on a little backdoor forum on the old Beaumont Enterprise site. Then came the flurry of sites like this and its been a free for all every since. Again, just take it for what it is, thousands of armchair QBs, all of which think they are the only one who knows anything about football, blessing all the other ignorant forum members with their exclusive, infinite wisdom.  ;D

[quote name="Michael" post="702611" timestamp="1257793591"]
[quote author=Dogs2x2 link=topic=61981.msg702535#msg702535 date=1257787250]
And when they have to get on this site and read the negative that doesn't do anything for their self-confidence.  Leave the coaching to the coaches they have confidence in their players to step and they usually always do.
[/quote]

I get what you are saying but you have to remember this is a football "DISCUSSION" forum. People are going to discuss, thats what the site is for and its what makes people come here at all for the sport of discussion in itself. They are going to discuss the good and they are going to discuss the bad. 100% of what you read here is pure opinion and nothing else unless a person is quoting actual historical data. Although I agree that we really should not call out players and coaches directly, I do believe that its the very nature of these sites that the performances on the field are sometimes going to be implied or called into question by the comments. Just like watching the commentators on ESPN, everyone involved has to take what they read/hear for what its worth which is absolutely nothing of value whatsoever, and make sure the kids understand the same. If I were a coach or parent, I would avoid this and all other sites like it altogether unless you are able to see it for nothing more than entertainment value. I would FORBID the kids from reading any of this junk. Its DEFINITELY not to be taken seriously. I dont even take myself seriously, much less what any other self proclaimed (or implied) authority has to say on here. I was doing this before there was a single purpose built Texas football site in the web way back in 1996, we did our talking with MsNed, Jake94, GoStangs, Coog4Life and the famous Austin Kinghorn from Barbers Hill on a little backdoor forum on the old Beaumont Enterprise site. Then came the flurry of sites like this and its been a free for all every since. Again, just take it for what it is, thousands of armchair QBs, all of which think they are the only one who knows anything about football, blessing all the other ignorant forum members with their exclusive, infinite wisdom.  ;D
[/quote]

Micheal, While I did not agree with your "hideous" comment about the Nederland D, I do agree with you here.  And if the players are reading these boards, they won't read any worse criticism than they have already heard from their coaches a thousand times or more at this level.  This is a place for has-beens and wannabes to talk about football because they just can't get enough of it on Firday nights...

[quote]Micheal, While I did not agree with your "hideous" comment about the Nederland D, I do agree with you here..[/quote]

Thats okay, I dont expect anyone much less everyone to agree with my comments, they are just my personal take on what I see... Nothing more than an opinion. I realize that sometimes I am harsh, but sometimes the truth is harsh and people dont just dont like to see it cause it makes them feel like they are not the kings of the world. I am just being honest to what I see, its not a personal attack its just what I see as the honest truth from my point of view, in print. Unlike some people I know on this board I dont say one thing in private and another in public, what you see is what you get. Also, you have to understand that I am a ravenous fan of the Bulldogs and an advocate of those kids, my intentions are never to tear them down. If anything maybe to piss them off and motivated to kick some butt.

I have watched him kick many in practice, the thing is it's like QB's they all throw good balls before the game starts but have you ever noticed most of them are not nearly as good when the defense is looking for a piece of them. So it is with kickers, most of them can kick well in practice but when you are in a game and people are coming hard you can lose you focus real fast. Mr. Trahan has the ability to block out all the noise and focus on the ball. Not many people can do this, so he moves into a very small group of people. So back to my original statement, If he kicks many more 48 yard field goals (in game situations) I bet he will suddenly acquire a bunch of relatives! Everybody wants to know those special people that can do things that we dream about.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo