Seahawks softball tryout day set for Dec. 12

Lamar State College-Port Arthur
1500 Procter Street (P.O. Box 310), Port Arthur, Texas 77641-0310
The Lamar State College-Port Arthur Seahawks women’s softball team will hold open tryouts Saturday, December 12, for current high school juniors and seniors and students now enrolled at Lamar State or planning to attend the college.

The tryouts will take place from 9-11 a.m. at Martin Field, 1000 Lakeshore Drive on the Lamar State campus.

Lamar State competes in Region XIV, one of the toughest Division I conferences in the National Junior College Athletic Association.

Interested players are asked to download a Tryout Registration form from the Softball page of the college website (www.lamarpa.edu), fill out the form and then follow the instructions for returning it to the college.

Players also are asked to fill out and submit the on-line Prospective Student/Athlete form on the Athletics page of the college website. 

For information, call Coach Edwards at 984-6293, or send e-mail to: [email protected].

• 1 month later...
Coach Edwards said he was very pleased with the turnout for the Seahawks softball team tryout day.

Fourteen high school players showed up at Martin Field to go through skill drills, including several Edwards hopes to sign for the 2010-11 academic year.

January 15 is the first day that junior colleges can officially sign players. Edwards said the college will be making scholarship offers soon.

Seahawks Fan:  Thank you for the sharing of information on here!  People support that they help build....
We need a big interested local support group to help be spark-plugs in getting the story told of Seahawk JUCO softball. I was there for part of the Tryouts and was impressed with the girls that took the time to participate.  I saw one Select Coach with his right-age girls really having a good time.  That is a start  ;D
I envision HS SB Coaches and Select Coaching will be bringing there stars to these Open events in abundance in a few years.

Talk it up folks.  The games are really fun to watch!

The Lamar State College-Port Arthur women's softball program is in its infancy compared to some of the colleges the Seahawks face in both non-conference and Region XIV play.

The Seahawks are going into their sixth regular season with a team that Coach Edwards describes as the most balanced team he's coached, and a team that has some of the best player chemistry he's led in the previous five years since the program saw its first competition in the spring of 2005.

I'm looking forward to our first home games because I haven't seen this team play yet. There is a wealth of talent on the squad, and it will be interesting to see which players end up as team leaders and big contributors.

Soar Seahawks!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    risinger62
    Newest Member
    risinger62