WO-S ready to face Trojans yet again in bidistrict

KFDM COOP

WO-S ready to face Trojans yet again in bidistrict
Van Wade
The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — The West Orange-Stark Mustangs will be hoping that the third time is not the “charm” for the Coldspring Trojans when the two teams battle it out Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Huffman Stadium in the Class 3A Region III bidistrict playoffs.

The Mustangs (8-2) have made quick work of the Trojans (8-2) in the same bidistrict round the last two seasons, winning 51-14 in 2007 and 36-8 last year.

“It should be a great game,” said Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “Looking back, this one maybe the one we’re most evenly matched in. Coldspring is better than I’ve seen them. We played a young Coldspring team the past couple years. This one has a ton of experience and good senior leadership.”

The Trojans are runnerps out of District 22-3A while the Mustangs were second in 21-3A.

Coldspring fell to 22-3A champion Cleveland 14-12 two weeks ago in a nailbiter in what was the title game.

The Trojans have improved tremendously on the defensive side of the ball. Their defensive coordinator is former Orangefield head coach Blake Morrison, who is in his first year at Coldspring, coaching alongside old friend and Trojan head coach Bryan Barbay.

Last season the Trojans allowed over 26 points a game, this season their giving up just 17.3.

“Coach Morrison is an excellent defensive coach and gets the kids fired up and ready to go,” said Hooks. “Defensively, they’ve improved a whole bunch. They will blitz and shift a bunch and will try to create some turnovers.”

The Trojans are allowing 312 yards per game and will face a Mustang offense that is averaging 310.1.

The Mustang offense has hit a nice stride in recent weeks, gaining 880 total yards in that span.

They’ve been sparked by a solid ground game led by quarterback Reggie Garrett and running back Darius Mitchell. In the last two weeks Mitchell has had 25 carries for 241 yards while Garrett has 207 yards on 24 totes.

“Offensively, we’ve changed things up a bit in recent weeks and we’ve been moving it well, especially on the ground,” said Hooks. “Garrett is really coming of age at quarterback and has done an excellent job running the ball. Mitchell has also giving us a big boost.”

Mitchell now has 461 yards and three TDs to lead the WO-S ground attack. Garrett has dashed for 414 yards and 13 TDs and has passed for 1,006 yards and nine TDs.

Coldspring will bring plenty of experience on the offensive side of the ball against a stingy Mustang defensive unit that allows just 199.4 yards an outing, led by the likes of Stephen Cook and Wilson Washington.

The Trojans are engineered by slick quarterback Chad Allen.

“The Allen kid just keeps getting better and better,” said Hooks. “He’s really gotten faster and stronger and has made himself into a great player. He’s one of those natural leaders too.”

Allen is far from all the Trojans have.

Andrew Leigh, who was nearly a 1,000-yard back last year, has moved to a slotback/receiver spot to make way for junior Tevin Bryant and sophomore Sherman Gilbert.

“They have two excellent backs that can go,” said Hooks. “The Leigh kid is an excellent athlete too and you got to watch those reverses and quick pitches to him too. They still like to line up in the Wing T for the most part but they’re also capable of running the spread too. They’re a team that will definitely keep you on your toes.”

As usual this time of year, you’ve got to bring your ‘A’ game or it will be a short-lived postseason.

“It could easily come down to turnovers and special teams,” said Hooks. “It’s a pretty good little matchup. Our kids are fired up. We had a darn good practice Monday, even though the weather was nasty. We’re looking forward to have a few guys that have been banged up lately to make their return. We feel really good where we’re at right now. A lot of people aren’t as fortunate as we are, and that’s making the playoffs. It’s a game-by-game deal now, there is no looking on down the road. You win and then you move on or you lose and its over. It’s just that simple.”

[quote name="venom33" post="704366" timestamp="1257971424"]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=62214.msg704294#msg704294 date=1257964883]
Here is some wishful thinking.Mabe we have Coldsprings number just like C E King had our number in Bi district.We had some good teams then too.
[/quote]

didnt we eventually beat king?  :-\
[/quote]

We beat them in 87.We didn't meet again until 89,90 and 91 in which they won all three.

[quote name="GUNHO" post="704121" timestamp="1257952308"]
Ain't that the truth.They are all going to be tough Gas.No cake walk this year to start.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I feel we have the talent to win. We just have to keep getting better like we have been. You never know how a team is going to react to the playoffs.

Man whats gotten into the mustang fans? WOW we lose 2 games early in the season and all of a sudden were not even good enough to beat a team from a terrible district that we wal all over year after year! Yeah they might be a little bit better this year but i heard the same bs last year about their awesome running game and what happened? we hit them in the mouth and they rolled over and played dead! I was on the semi finals mustang team and im telling ya'll that this kinda team we have this year is the most dangerous! We dont have that go to guy for someone to stop! We have that go to team! Ya'll can say what ya'll want to but i know what we have this year and we are clicking on all cylinders and are ready for a LONG run!!!! Watch and see!!!

[quote name="the-riot07" post="704567" timestamp="1257989699"]
Man whats gotten into the mustang fans? WOW we lose 2 games early in the season and all of a sudden were not even good enough to beat a team from a terrible district that we wal all over year after year! Yeah they might be a little bit better this year but i heard the same bs last year about their awesome running game and what happened? we hit them in the mouth and they rolled over and played dead! I was on the semi finals mustang team and im telling ya'll that this kinda team we have this year is the most dangerous! We dont have that go to guy for someone to stop! We have that go to team! Ya'll can say what ya'll want to but i know what we have this year and we are clicking on all cylinders and are ready for a LONG run!!!! Watch and see!!!
[/quote]

good post, spoken like a true mustang!!!  prepare to win!!!  Go Mustangs!!!

[/quote]

It's not just losing two games.They have struggled in some of the games they shouldn't have.I know they have looked good in their last few games but that was expected.I agree that this team has the talent to do what your saying but they have not shown this ability yet.Coldspring is not a bad team and if wo-s has really turned it around they should win and if they do I will get on your bandwagon. ;D

Go through Dayton and hit 1960 like your going to Humble. The town before the Bridge into Atascocita is Huffman(Dated a girl in College from there ;D). There will be a sighn that says Hargrave Falcon stadium. You will take a right by a gas station if your going toward humble. ETBU can explain better, he lives there.

[quote name="kicker" post="704945" timestamp="1258041621"]
Go through Dayton and hit 1960 like your going to Humble. The town before the Bridge into Atascocita is Huffman(Dated a girl in College from there ;D). There will be a sighn that says Hargrave Falcon stadium. You will take a right by a gas station if your going toward humble. ETBU can explain better, he lives there.
[/quote]

Thanks,kicker.I didn't think it would be to hard.What happened to the girl?

[quote name="GUNHO" post="704971" timestamp="1258042686"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=62214.msg704945#msg704945 date=1258041621]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was young and dumb. HAHA ;D

[quote name="kicker" post="704980" timestamp="1258043084"]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=62214.msg704971#msg704971 date=1258042686]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Her too huh?  ;D Sorry couldn't resist.

[quote name="kicker" post="704980" timestamp="1258043084"]
[quote author=GUNHO link=topic=62214.msg704971#msg704971 date=1258042686]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't act like that has changed... ;D

[/quote]

I'm with ya, bro. I want to believe too and, like I said, I think we may get there (or be there). If we go out and take this game like I am hoping we will, I will be convinced. ;)

[quote name="kicker" post="704945" timestamp="1258041621"]
[/quote]

I think that is the directions to the old stadium. The new stadium is at the high school

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1287

I am very interested in what happens in this game.  WO-S has seemed to improve over the last few games.  This year has been a little different as the 'Stangs have not really dominated everyone and the 2 losses to boot.  Sounds also like a few of the wounded are starting to come back when the help is needed.  Kind of reminds me of the '86 season, I don't know why but it just has that feel.

[quote name="Majestyk" post="705486" timestamp="1258077959"]
I am very interested in what happens in this game.  WO-S has seemed to improve over the last few games.  This year has been a little different as the 'Stangs have not really dominated everyone and the 2 losses to boot.  Sounds also like a few of the wounded are starting to come back when the help is needed.  Kind of reminds me of the '86 season, I don't know why but it just has that feel.
[/quote]

What happened in '86? ;D Like I said in another post...The route to the quarterfinals is not that bad.Not any real overpowering teams until you get there.Any team in our bracket (with a few exceptions ) has a shot.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats