ESPN says LU has the best recruiting class for 2010 in the SLC

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
It's never too early to talk about recruiting classes.  ;D

[quote]
[b]Players signed[/b]: 4

[b]Top player[/b]:  Point guard Nuno Muandaumba (Scottsdale, Ariz./West Wind Prep). The fifth-year point guard plays with the savvy of an older player and will provide instant leadership on the floor.

[b]Why it's the best:[/b] Lamar coach Steve Roccaforte answered needs both on the perimeter, with a combination of point guards, and in the post with wiry 6-9 forward Michael Kyser, who is skilled and can be effective in transition. [/quote]

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4675072

Guest coachacola
Nuno was suppose to be playing for LU this year but had citizenship problems so he had to go to prep school.  Counting him, LU has 5 players signed or committed for next year:  Nuno, Harris from Port Arthur, Demetris Smith from Pflugerville, plus Kyser and Lynch from Lancaster.

Since Hall, Nwevo and Nabors are the only seniors, does Roc have 5 schollies to give?

[quote name="coachacola" post="720686" timestamp="1259556577"]
Nuno was suppose to be playing for LU this year but had citizenship problems so he had to go to prep school.  Counting him, LU has 5 players signed or committed for next year:  Nuno, Harris from Port Arthur, Demetris Smith from Pflugerville, plus Kyser and Lynch from Lancaster.

Since Hall, Nwevo and Nabors are the only seniors, does Roc have 5 schollies to give?
[/quote]

Roc, always has plenty of scholarships to give.  Undoubtedly, there will be several players this year that will be run off or will voluntarily leave the program.  It has happened every year since Roc took over.

Two things that are expected - Lamar to have the #1 recruiting class in hoops, NWST in football.  ;D

I'm excited about Bob Marlin's class at SHSU. It seems to be his best one in a few years and with the Kats losing Mitchell, Almond and Brown - very crucial we continue to hold our place in the top three of the league by putting in strong players that can fill the hole.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="720724" timestamp="1259588944"]
Two things that are expected - Lamar to have the #1 recruiting class in hoops, NWST in football.  ;D

I'm excited about Bob Marlin's class at SHSU. It seems to be his best one in a few years and with the Kats losing Mitchell, Almond and Brown - very crucial we continue to hold our place in the top three of the league by putting in strong players that can fill the hole.
[/quote]A 3rd thing to expect - SHSU winning 20 games, losing in the SLC tourney.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="UNLV" post="720752" timestamp="1259593736"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=63140.msg720724#msg720724 date=1259588944]

[/quote]A 3rd thing to expect - SHSU winning 20 games, losing in the SLC tourney.
[/quote]

4th thing to expect - SHSU averaging less than 2000 per game.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="720724" timestamp="1259588944"]

[/quote]I also heard thru the grapevine that Sam Houston did good in their recruiting this year and from a much more reliable source than ESPN

[quote name="coachacola" post="720756" timestamp="1259594237"]4th thing to expect - SHSU averaging less than 2000 per game.
[/quote]

5th thing to expect - the numbers to increase when school is back in session with SHSU representing the only SLC school that draws 10% of their student body to basketball games in the league.  ;D

What I like is that they are all HS kids. No JUCO.

On the Scholarship front, I am pretty sure Roc will be getting back a couple that we lost due to NCAA academic violations from a few years back.  Rock has not been cutting players that are on scholarship, that would be commiting NCAA suicide, since they would count against the graduation rates that bit LU before. The guys that are no longer with the team were all walk-ons or non-athletic scholarship students.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="720847" timestamp="1259601589"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=63140.msg720724#msg720724 date=1259588944]

[/quote]I also heard thru the grapevine that Sam Houston did good in their recruiting this year and from a much more reliable source than ESPN
[/quote]

They should have a strong recruiting class also, the question is, how much longer until Bobby Marlin gets a job at a CUSA school, and Sam returns to NAIA?

[quote name="mffl" post="721126" timestamp="1259626278"]They should have a strong recruiting class also, the question is, how much longer until Bobby Marlin gets a job at a CUSA school, and Sam returns to NAIA?[/quote]

Unless SHSU does something special, I honestly feel that Marlin's window has passed if you will. Marlin is the big fish in Huntsville and while he probably would prefer being elsewhere, he's combed himself a sturdy niche.

Well respected in coaching circles, constant top three placements in the SLC, growing amounts of 20 win seasons (four in last five years), getting his kids to earn academic recognition yearly, etc. If anything, I see Marlin seeing himself like his mentor, Mike Vining at ULM.

Vining, if you recall went 383-291 over 21 years in Monroe for a .568 winning percentage. Marlin entered the year with a .619 winning percentage (200-123) since coming to SHSU in 1999.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43