Fort Worth High Schooler Dies After Baseball Tryout

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
[size=14pt]Fort Worth high schooler dies after baseball tryout[/size]

Associated Press
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:26PM

FORT WORTH — Relatives say an 18-year-old Fort Worth student complained of breathing problems before he died after baseball practice.

The Tarrant County medical examiner's office confirms Ryan Powell died Tuesday night at a hospital. Roger Metcalf with the medical examiner's office said autopsy results were pending Wednesday.

Rose Powell told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that her son never had any evidence of heart trouble, but that the case is considered a sudden cardiac death.

The teen had practiced Tuesday, trying out for the Southwest High School varsity, then experienced discomfort about an hour after arriving home. His parents called for an ambulance.

This is tragic. I grew up in FW and not too far from Southwest. They have a great baseball tradition and a coupleof state titles. The Raiders (they were the Rebels when I was growing up) have sent many players to college and to the pros. I am sure that the school is in shock and needing all our prayers as they work through this young mans death.

Prayers go out to the family, his friends, his coach and his teammates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou