Sabine Pass vs. Evadale

Guest Dwight

The Rebel basketball program has made a steady progression under Coach Wilkins now in his third year. Just as in football and in baseball in a little over a month the Rebels benefit with the numbers that allow for a full junior varsity schedules that mean playing time for younger players and not just riding the varsity bench.

This years Rebel basketball team has again a mixture of underclassmen that complement three seniors on the eleven man squad. This group of athletes just knows how to win and now they are doing it in whatever sport they compete in.

All the school have at Evadale competes against have fine athletes, but it is hard to argue with the combination of numbers and quality of the athletes that make for a difficult combination to overcome. It has been that way with the Evadale girls program for several years and now the boys are showing that same competitive level.

Success breeds success and with the continued upgrades in the facilities that will allow younger Rebels to carry on that pride I can see even greater accomplishments in the near future as well as many years to come. 

I haven't seen a game plan out of the Sharks over the last 2 seasons.They have enough talent as a group to win some ballgames but they continue to play 1 on 5 with whoever gets the ball forcing the issue.I don't see Spurger losing a game in district and SP will have to step it up to split with Evadale.If the Sharks go in to the playoffs as the 3rd seed it will be a short post season run for them.They are a lot better than they are showing and are running out of time.They need to start looking at the schedule and playing 32 minutes one game at a time.They have a tendacy to start slow and turn it up late and it's killing them.Come on Sharks,turn it up so SE Texas can get behind you.

I have seen all 3 teams play (Spurger and Evadale both played Silsbee) and Spurger wins this district hands down. They have the better team and the better players. Evadale and SP will battel for second with the other getting 3rd. I can see SP defeating Evadale at their place. We'll see. Neither team will beat Spurger.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="748841" timestamp="1264350928"]
I have seen all 3 teams play (Spurger and Evadale both played Silsbee) and Spurger wins this district hands down. They have the better team and the better players. Evadale and SP will battel for second with the other getting 3rd. I can see SP defeating Evadale at their place. We'll see. Neither team will beat Spurger.
[/quote]

I will admit that the Rebels played badly against Silsbee, but since both teams (Evadale and Spurger) lost to the tigers by wide margins, I am not sure you can make the comparison.

I know that Spurger has a talented team and has shown well in most all of their games this season. But the Rebels have begun to gel as a team. There were some rough spots around the holidays, but those seem to be in the rear view mirror now and the offense and defense are coming together nicely. The combination of Stark and Tucker on the inside and Murphy and Totten on the outside can be difficult for teams to match up with. Herrington is adjusting to his point guard role and he had a three point shot as well if team sag ito the paint.

The offense is sroring over 60 points in district while limiting teams to under 35, even with the SP points last Friday. The Rebels are also seeing great pressure from their substitues on the press. There are six fresh bodies that can come in off the bench and keep the pressure on. SP went up early by 12 on the Rebels, but the pressure wore them down and allowed the Rebels secure the victory in the end.

The Rebels and the Pirates seem to be on a colision course with both teams being 3-0 now with one game each before they meet on Friday.
I believe that if the Rebels continue to play team ball and continue to improve the score and even the outcome could be different than the prediction will be going.

High school basketball is ALL about matchups and Evadale doesn't match up well at all with Spurger.The pirates have a decided edge at the point,in the paint and at the shooters hole.I think the rebels are a lot better than I thought the would be after seeing them earlier this season bu they aren't within 10 of the pirates.They could however easily edge the sharks out for 2nd in this district.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="748949" timestamp="1264375158"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=65017.msg748841#msg748841 date=1264350928]
[/quote]

I will admit that the Rebels played badly against Silsbee, but since both teams (Evadale and Spurger) lost to the tigers by wide margins, [b]I am not sure you can make the comparison[/b].

I know that Spurger has a talented team and has shown well in most all of their games this season. But the Rebels have begun to gel as a team. There were some rough spots around the holidays, but those seem to be in the rear view mirror now and the offense and defense are coming together nicely. The combination of Stark and Tucker on the inside and Murphy and Totten on the outside can be difficult for teams to match up with. Herrington is adjusting to his point guard role and he had a three point shot as well if team sag ito the paint.

The offense is sroring over 60 points in district while limiting teams to under 35, even with the SP points last Friday. The Rebels are also seeing great pressure from their substitues on the press. There are six fresh bodies that can come in off the bench and keep the pressure on. SP went up early by 12 on the Rebels, but the pressure wore them down and allowed the Rebels secure the victory in the end.

The Rebels and the Pirates seem to be on a colision course with both teams being 3-0 now with one game each before they meet on Friday.
I believe that if the Rebels continue to play team ball and continue to improve the score and even the outcome could be different than the prediction will be going.

[/quote]

I can make the comparison because I have seen both teams play. Yes, they both lost badly to Silsbee, but if you would have watched each game, you would have seen that Spurger played much better than what Evadale did against the Tigers.

Based on what I have seen, Spurger is the better team and will beat Evadale. But they still have to play the games.

the woodville tournament will not be a good measuring stick the Rebels played that tourny like they didn't want to be there
look at the matchups on the floor there is no better shooter is southeast texas than Murphy i'd put him against any one in 3 point range
has the prettyest shot around and stark and tucker are real good in the paint if we had a true point guard we would be hard to beat
with a little more practice at point harrington will be just fine and we have a good bunch on the beanch

[quote name="strike king" post="749125" timestamp="1264390334"]
the woodville tournament will not be a good measuring stick the Rebels played that tourny like they didn't want to be there
look at the matchups on the floor there is [b]no better shooter is southeast texas than Murphy i'd put him against any one in 3 point range[/b]has the prettyest shot around and stark and tucker are real good in the paint if we had a true point guard we would be hard to beat
with a little more practice at point harrington will be just fine and we have a good bunch on the beanch
[/quote]

As one that has seen both teams, I would say that Spurger's Blankenship is a better shooter than Evadale's Murphy.

You mention that you guys don't have a true point guard, guess what, Spurger does. McGallion is one of the best in this area.

As for Evadale's inside game, I like Stark a lot, but I'll still take Spurger's Whittaker over him.

Again, I have seen Evadale play 4 times this season (twice in the Woodville tourney, twice at the Evadale tourney), Spurger 4 times. IMO, Spurger has the better overall team.

Guest THE SCOUTER
If Murphy is # 3 then I'll agree that he is a great shooter. On the other hand Daniel is a far better shooter than he is. I would also take Chase's three over his. Just my opinion.

[quote name="court side" post="749603" timestamp="1264478184"]
[quote author=Rebel Yeller link=topic=65017.msg749595#msg749595 date=1264477496]
Part one of the question will get answered on Friday.
[/quote]Do you think its gona be a packed house Yeller?
[/quote]

I believe that Evadale will do thier part and I know the guys from Spurger will do theirs. With that being said I can imagine that Pirate Gym should be rocking pretty good come Friday night.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats