Coach Roc makes the coaching hotseat list

UNLV

Steve Roccaforte - Lamar coach (4th season)
Roccaforte inherited the position from legend Billy Tubbs. The Roccaforte years have been less impacting. Lamar struggled in 2006-2007 but improved to 19-11 in 2007-2008. Last year Lamar finished next to last and this season they are 10-10.

Guest coachacola
I think he'll be back next year.  Tubbs will probably see how well they do next year with all the freshmen coming in.  Now if he had a lot of seniors on the team this year and was doing this poorly he'd definitely be gone at the end of the season.

[quote name="coachacola" post="754487" timestamp="1265213715"]
I think he'll be back next year.  Tubbs will probably see how well they do next year with all the freshmen coming in.  Now if he had a lot of seniors on the team this year and was doing this poorly he'd definitely be gone at the end of the season.
[/quote]I agree, he's not going anywhere after this season.

Coach Roc will be back next season.  He has a young nucleus of talented players that will continue to improve.  His coaching staff is quality and experience.  This is the right bunch of coaches to move the program upward, but patience and time is required.  No coach could be more dedicated to LU than Roc.

[quote name="LemonGello" post="754705" timestamp="1265231905"]
Coach Roc will be back next season.  He has a young nucleus of talented players that will continue to improve.  His coaching staff is quality and experience.  This is the right bunch of coaches to move the program upward, but patience and time is required.  No coach could be more dedicated to LU than Roc.
[/quote]Hmm? In other words, LU fans need to have 4 more years of patience.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="754990" timestamp="1265293931"]
Hmm? In other words, LU fans need to have 4 more years of patience.
[/quote]

I've been patient 25 years, another 4 isn't going to hurt!  :D

[quote name="coachacola" post="755021" timestamp="1265297055"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65417.msg754990#msg754990 date=1265293931]
Hmm? In other words, LU fans need to have 4 more years of patience.
[/quote]

I've been patient 25 years, another 4 isn't going to hurt!   :D
[/quote]

I've been saying 'next year will be better' since Pat Foster left.  I think I will be saying 'next year will be better' for another 20+ years...  >:(

[quote name="mat" post="755219" timestamp="1265316789"]
I really expected more progress when Tubbs came into the picture
[/quote]
Like helping to resurect the football program and update the football facilities, updating the baseball facilities, bringing in a new Womens Basketball Coach that will turn that program around or a new Volleyball coach that would create a winner.

Yeah I expected more outta Tubbs as well. ::)

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="755264" timestamp="1265322501"]
Who says, Roc doesn't leave to join an old friend....just sayin
[/quote]

I don't see Roc leaving this job for UK or any other. He has supposedly had many big time assistant job offers and supposedly even a HC job offer? Not sure if that is true but Alumni have said that.

[quote name="badndn" post="755254" timestamp="1265320743"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=65417.msg755219#msg755219 date=1265316789]
I really expected more progress when Tubbs came into the picture
[/quote]
Like helping to resurect the football program and update the football facilities, updating the baseball facilities, bringing in a new Womens Basketball Coach that will turn that program around or a new Volleyball coach that would create a winner.

Yeah I expected more outta Tubbs as well. ::)
[/quote]

We're talkin Basketball here. With his BB success I expected a little more

Continue to give Roc time, and here's why:  Roc is not using this job as a stepping stone as any other coach would with the exception of Coach Tubbs.  Roc is a Triangle native, a LU grad, and has worked his way up from the bottom to the top.  In other words, he is fully committed to bringing the program back to where it was in the late 70s to early 80s. 

Yes, he could have left.  He has had offers for more money at elite programs.  He wants to be at LU!  He knows what it is going to take to get there, and he puts the amount of hours in and then some to insure it will happen.  Be patient Card fans!  We are going to be in the tournament again and sooner rather than later.

[quote name="LemonGello" post="755413" timestamp="1265348109"]
Continue to give Roc time, and here's why:  Roc is not using this job as a stepping stone as any other coach would with the exception of Coach Tubbs.  Roc is a Triangle native, a LU grad, and has worked his way up from the bottom to the top.  In other words, he is fully committed to bringing the program back to where it was in the late 70s to early 80s. 

Yes, he could have left.  He has had offers for more money at elite programs.  He wants to be at LU!  He knows what it is going to take to get there, and he puts the amount of hours in and then some to insure it will happen.  Be patient Card fans!  We are going to be in the tournament again and sooner rather than later.
[/quote]
I have to agree. I think with the crop of Freshman and Sophomores we have right now the continuity will be excellent in a couple of years. Add to that mix a real distributing PG hopefully next year. No more two and out JC's.

[u]2012[/u]
G So. Nuno 2 yr starter 
G Sr. Miles 4 yr starter
G Jr. Minor 3 yr starter
F Sr. Harper 4 yr starter
F Jr. Brown 2 yr starter

G Jr. Lopez
G So. Lynch
G Sr. Davis
F Jr. Wesley
F So. Kyser/Osas

[quote name="badndn" post="755510" timestamp="1265384215"]
[quote author=LemonGello link=topic=65417.msg755413#msg755413 date=1265348109]

[/quote]
I have to agree. I think with the crop of Freshman and Sophomores we have right now the continuity will be excellent in a couple of years. Add to that mix a real distributing PG hopefully next year. No more two and out JC's.

[u]2012[/u]
G So. Nuno 2 yr starter   
G Sr. Miles 4 yr starter
G Jr. Minor 3 yr starter
F Sr. Harper 4 yr starter
F Jr. Brown 2 yr starter

G Jr. Lopez
G So. Lynch
G Sr. Davis
F Jr. Wesley
F So. Kyser/Osas
[/quote]

Nuno isn't coming. Add Center Harris and SF Smith to that bunch

Guest coachacola
[quote]Nuno isn't coming. Add Center Harris and SF Smith to that bunch[/quote]

Mffl, did someone in the athletic department tell you this?  I have noticed that he's not on the Westwind Prep roster where he's supposedly playing this year.  I'm guessing he's still having citizenship issues.

The schools that are winning consistently in the SLC are SHSU and SFA.  I think this is Marlin's 11th year at SHSU and Kaspar's 9th or 10th at SFA.  They each have multiple 20 win seasons but only 1 NCAA appearance each to show for it.

Roc, on the other hand, is in his 4th year, and has a winning record (61-54 overall, 31-25 conference), and has a young team.  Considering how many coaches Lamar has gone through without much success from any of them, I think Roc will be given at least 5 years to prove himself.

[quote name="coachacola" post="755611" timestamp="1265392545"]

Mffl, did someone in the athletic department tell you this?  I have noticed that he's not on the Westwind Prep roster where he's supposedly playing this year.  I'm guessing he's still having citizenship issues.

[/quote]

Just taking a guess, we already have 4 commits, with Kyser, Lynch, Smith, and Harris. I think it seems unlikely that we will carry 6 PG's on the roster next year (Miles, Minor, Garza, Lynch, and Lopez). I could be wrong though.

[quote name="mffl" post="755721" timestamp="1265408826"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=65417.msg755611#msg755611 date=1265392545]
[/quote]
Just taking a guess, we already have 4 commits, with Kyser, Lynch, Smith, and Harris. I think it seems unlikely that we will carry 6 PG's on the roster next year (Miles, Minor, Garza, Lynch, and Lopez). I could be wrong though.
[/quote]
Miles, Minor and Lynch are not PG's. They are 2's. Miles is playing the point out of necessity. Is Harris a walk-on or scholly next year? Losing three seniors and gaining a scholarship we lost from academic violations a few years back (??). Also a few players on non-BB scholly (Custer, Lopez).

Guest coachacola
Some videos of Tre Lynch in action.

http://community.prepticket.com/video/video/show?id=823292%3AVideo%3A116067

http://community.prepticket.com/video/video/show?id=823292%3AVideo%3A116067

Lynch and Kyser:

http://community.prepticket.com/video/video/show?id=823292%3AVideo%3A116025

http://community.prepticket.com/video/video/show?id=823292%3AVideo%3A92775

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member