1. 1. Who Wins District 19-4A?

• Dayton
    • Other

This one of for you GCMPATS......  ;D ;D

[b]Lee coaches expect no easies in 4A [/b]
By Nathan Hague
The Baytown Sun
Published February 5, 2010

Does dropping to Class 4A mean Lee High School will become a powerhouse again?

While some of the school’s sports coaches say the competition may get a little easier than it’s been recently in 5A, but no one expects it to get a lot easier because there aren’t a lot of easies in District 19-4A.

“There are some good teams in that district,” girls basketball coach Terry Gray said. “It’s going to be tough going to an eight-team district where we add four more district games.

“Some people think moving to 4A will make it easier but I don’t think that’s a good way to look at it. Whether it’s 2A, 4A or 5A, everybody wants to win.”

Gray said he looks forward to developing a new rivalry with Goose Creek Memorial.

The Lady Ganders are already somewhat familiar with some of the teams in their new district.

“Four of the teams are teams we’ve played against in tournaments,” Gray said. “We’ve got to work to get better at what we do.”

Even though Lee High School will remain a 5A school for the remainder of this school year, coaches of spring sports are preparing their players for this year while looking down the road to next year as well.

“We’re going to attend a meet at Barbers Hill to show the kids what it’s going to be like next year,” girls track coach Shalesha Lowe said. “We’re made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores right now so it should be a smooth process. It will be nice for them to get a good feel for what it’s going to be like.

“The playing field should be evened out a lot more, so I think it will be good for us.”

Boys track coach Charles Southall thinks it will be easier for his kids to compete.

“There are so many kids in 5A,” he said. “It’s so hard to keep up when some schools outnumber you 3-1, and that’s just a benefit of being a big school.

“This will help us to compete on our own level a little bit more.”

Baseball coach David Hackney also welcomes the change to 4A.

“Are you kidding me?” he said. “It will definitely be a lot less traveling. We’re talking about Barbers Hill, Crosby and C.E. King. Dayton is a good location too, and of course, we’ll play here in town against Goose Creek (Memorial). We love it.”

Boys basketball coach Trent Manuel believes it will be a good change considering the enrollment numbers, but it will take time to adjust.

“It will be tough no matter what,” Manuel said.“ We’ll have some real competitive games. It’ll be quite a different challenge.”

Manuel said he has tried to prepare his team for the change this year by playing teams who will be in Lee’s district next year.

“We played Barbers Hill, Goose Creek Memorial, Crosby and we went to the Barbers Hill tournament and saw C.E King,” he said. “We scheduled those games so that we could have an idea of what the teams are like.”

Lee head football coach Marvin Sedberry welcomes the move to 4A.

“Everybody is excited about us going down to 4A, but it’s still going to be a great challenge competing against schools who either just hired a big-name coach or have big traditions. I feel like our district is still going to be a good district with good competition. It’s going to be fun.”

Lee high school will replace Kingwood Park in District 19-4A.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="755544" timestamp="1265386173"]
This is football right, not watermelon seed spitting or calf roping.
BH handling Lee in rodeo events or plowing a field I can maybe get with.
[/quote]

Lee will be good in football ,but I bet BH beats'em down in most UIL competitions includeing 4A  ;D Ganders better prepare 4A will not be easy.

Is hay bail rides a UIL event? jk
Yes, Barbers Hill will beat Lee in most events that involve some structured atmosphere, coaching, years of training, etc.
Swimming, volleyball, basketball, tennis, softball
The sports that lend more towards raw athleticism could see Lee with the upperhand
Track and football

I'm ok with this as football and track are my favorite two sports to watch.

I wish Lee was better in basketball, but most of their talent usually moves to Sterling, which doesn't make sense, because Sterling is horrible too.
I think Baytown just doesn't create basketball players for some reason.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="755579" timestamp="1265388717"]
Yes, Barbers Hill will beat Lee in most events that involve some structured atmosphere, coaching, years of training, etc.
The sports that lend more towards raw athleticism could see Lee with the upperhand
Track and football

I wish Lee was better in basketball, but most of their talent usually moves to Sterling, which doesn't make sense, because Sterling is horrible too.
[/quote]

Baytown Lee defenitly makes this a much better district! I have followed the Ganders during most of  Olins carear there. I'm glad Lee is in district 19-4A! We need some help in the first round against 20-4A ;D Just hope yall don't have to play Central ;D I don't know what it is about Lee Vs. Central ,but they have the ganders number

you could be right dude

Barbers Hill and Lee are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Barbers Hill has little in the raw athletes department, but they have a good system in place.  They get the kids involved early.  They are well coached.  They are in the same system from optimist on up.  They are pretty well formed into a nice cohesive unit that is playing up the best of their ability by high school.

Lee is just all over the place.  Lee usually has 4-5 D1 athletes on the squad at any one time.  They have a ton of guys that play freshman ball and look like all world contributors, then they move, they drop out, they go to jail, they quit football to sell drugs....whatever the case may be.
Lee's team looks like a bunch of guys that just showed up and learned they were going to be teammates the day before each game.  Mistakes out the wazoo, no cohesion, no unity...just a bunch of athletes trying to make it by.

Take last year's team for instance.
When that group of seniors were freshman, they beat the tar out of everyone.
I watched at least 7 or 8 games their freshm,an year and they went undefeated in the ones I saw.  they may have lost a game or two that I wasn't able to make, but not by much.  the games I saw they beat the stuffings out of Sterling and Memorial and Channelview.

Problem is....their best players were Xavier Ruben, Jarret Havins, Shack Calderon, Rashawn Williams, Nathan Dominique, Curtis Louis, Trey Murray and Trent Warren.
Of those, only Ruben, Murray and Warren played for Lee last year.
Havins was on and off the team, never did much, Calderon who knows what happened, Rashawn Williams went to Sterling, Louis went to GCM I guess as he is on their basketball team, Domonique who knows.
So of the top 8 players, only 3 of them made it to their senior year.  All three of those were solid players for Lee.

If you go back even farther, I can remember the class that was supposed to be a state ranked team a few years earlier.  Josh Jones, Jarvis Moore, Desarian Cartwright, Jarret Driver, Michael Mahan, etc.
Driver was convicted of murder, Cartwright lef tthe team, Mahan was on and off the team.
the year before that, Grady Richardson made the varsity as a freshman, never heard from him again.
Jarret's brother Jermaine was a varsity linebacker as a freshman, his senior year he was off the team.\

I remember back in the mid 90's...
what you saw on the freshman team, that was what you were going to see 4 years later on the varsity.  Not the case any more at least for Lee.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="755584" timestamp="1265389445"]
you could be right dude

Barbers Hill and Lee are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Barbers Hill has little in the raw athletes department, but they have a good system in place.  They get the kids involved early.  They are well coached.  They are in the same system from optimist on up.  They are pretty well formed into a nice cohesive unit that is playing up the best of their ability by high school.

Lee is just all over the place.  Lee usually has 4-5 D1 athletes on the squad at any one time.  They have a ton of guys that play freshman ball and look like all world contributors, then they move, they drop out, they go to jail, they quit football to sell drugs....whatever the case may be.
Lee's team looks like a bunch of guys that just showed up and learned they were going to be teammates the day before each game.  Mistakes out the wazoo, no cohesion, no unity...just a bunch of athletes trying to make it by.

Take last year's team for instance.
When that group of seniors were freshman, they beat the tar out of everyone.
I watched at least 7 or 8 games their freshm,an year and they went undefeated in the ones I saw.  they may have lost a game or two that I wasn't able to make, but not by much.  the games I saw they beat the stuffings out of Sterling and Memorial and Channelview.

Problem is....their best players were Xavier Ruben, Jarret Havins, Shack Calderon, Rashawn Williams, Nathan Dominique, Curtis Louis, Trey Murray and Trent Warren.
Of those, only Ruben, Murray and Warren played for Lee last year.
Havins was on and off the team, never did much, Calderon who knows what happened, Rashawn Williams went to Sterling, Louis went to GCM I guess as he is on their basketball team, Domonique who knows.
So of the top 8 players, only 3 of them made it to their senior year.  All three of those were solid players for Lee.

If you go back even farther, I can remember the class that was supposed to be a state ranked team a few years earlier.  Josh Jones, Jarvis Moore, Desarian Cartwright, Jarret Driver, Michael Mahan, etc.
Driver was convicted of murder, Cartwright lef tthe team, Mahan was on and off the team.
the year before that, Grady Richardson made the varsity as a freshman, never heard from him again.
Jarret's brother Jermaine was a varsity linebacker as a freshman, his senior year he was off the team.\

I remember back in the mid 90's...
what you saw on the freshman team, that was what you were going to see 4 years later on the varsity.  Not the case any more at least for Lee.
[/quote]

sad... .

[quote name="BHFAN" post="755582" timestamp="1265389172"]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=65677.msg755579#msg755579 date=1265388717]
Track and football

[/quote]

Baytown Lee defenitly makes this a much better district! I have followed the Ganders during most of  Olins carear there. I'm glad Lee is in district 19-4A! We need some help in the first round against 20-4A ;D Just hope yall don't have to play Central ;D I don't know what it is about Lee Vs. Central ,but they have the ganders number
[/quote];D ;D ;D ;D Even though we played yall 1 time in football, we do have yall's number too, taking down one of your better teams!  ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="755529" timestamp="1265385261"]
Jody, will BH handle Lee? :D
[/quote]

I don't think there is a team in this district that can say without a doubt they are the dominate team.  On any given Friday there are at least 5 teams who could win or lose against any of the other 4.  Dayton has respect for their past results, but they are not a dominate team in district and that was proven last year.  As you saw last year with Crosby beating Dayton and GCM winning against BH in the mud-bowl, it's anyone's district.  Lee is just another team we will have to deal with, but they are no better than anyone else.  This season will come down to who makes the most mistakes, not who is the most athletically able, that's a close enough match you can just flip a coin. 

I do think because BH played a lot of yound kids the last year, we have a good core of experienced players returning this and next year.  We normally don't have the issues described by panameyer, so asyou know, consistency builds the team.  Add a new and proven head coach and you have the recipe for good things to come. 

Now, keeping with tradition BH is gonna kick the every living s&*t out of Lee.  ;D ;D      Better?

[quote name="panamamyers" post="755544" timestamp="1265386173"]
This is football right, not watermelon seed spitting or calf roping.
BH handling Lee in rodeo events or plowing a field I can maybe get with.
[/quote]

If we did not plant and plow fields, how the heck would your team ever eat?  Someone has got to help provide the totillia makers...... ;D ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="755599" timestamp="1265391387"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=65677.msg755582#msg755582 date=1265389172]
Track and football

[/quote]

[/quote];D ;D ;D ;D Even though we played yall 1 time in football, we do have yall's number too, taking down one of your better teams!  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
It took a while for central to catch up to lee. i do remember from 96 to 03 central won once.

[quote name="jabu84" post="755641" timestamp="1265395655"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=65677.msg755599#msg755599 date=1265391387]
Track and football

[/quote]

[/quote]
It took a while for central to catch up to lee. i do remember from 96 to 03 central won once.
[/quote]It's all about 'what have you done for me lately'  ;D ;D

Panama---I enjoyed your post naming the years Baytown had some talent that seemed to go astray. But you may or may not remember Sean Diamond who as a freshman and sophmore was absolutely unstoppable.  I always thought that this guy was going to make it big.  Unfortunately, he was his own enemy and stopped himself.  

Still a WB fan --- but i used to really enjoy watching the Lee Ganders.  I hope they rekindle themselves in 4A and rebuild that tradition that goes way back.  There is a small segment of the Baytown community that  needs to get back to raising these kids and getting them off the streets and into the schools.  

Shawn Diamond...
Remember him well.
I watched him in 8th grade at Baytown Jr.  He would routinely go for 8 carries 255 yards and 6 touchdowns.  He was a machine.
He was pretty dominant as a freshman too like you said.
We had a load of talent on that freshman team.  Michael Stewart transferred to CE King, but the rest of them stayed around.
I remember playing North Shore though that freshman year.  Their Freshman pounded us like 63-7.  Ced Cormier and Lavar Johnson had a field day.  Three years later as seniors, Lee had them beat 7-3 until a last second hail mary pass gave the Mustangs a 10-7 win. 

Olin regularly had 100+ kids out for freshman ball.  Now they are lucky to have 50.
Clint Stoerner's sophomore year, they didn't put any sophomores on varsity.  they left them all on the sophomore team to let them play together.  Must have been 60 kids on that sophomore team.  Now we don't even have a sophomore team, hardly a JV team for that matter.

I can only hope that the top level athletes continue playing football.
Lee has enough athletes to get by in 4A, just not enough for the constant pounding of 5A.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="755599" timestamp="1265391387"]
Track and football

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well if you want to look at it that way then BH has your number in Boys Basketball ;) Which is a sport we are never good in ;D ;D ;D

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Go-rilla" post="758070" timestamp="1265827415"]
I thought that this was the FB discussion board!!! Who cares about how their debate teams match up?? Baytown Lee Should be really good in FB next year. Their WR scored 5 td's against PM in the 1st round playoff game and He is a Soph. They have some good young kids.
[/quote]

Memorial had the worst defense in a bad district. 3 of those TD's came in the 4th quarter when PM was clearly in control.

How'd he do against North Shore?

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?mkt=&site=default&tpl=Leaders&Sport=1&TeamID=90&SchoolID=&Season=2009&DistrictID=10&SearchDate=02%2F10%2F10&SearchDateEnd=02%2F10%2F10&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=&SearchType=Leaders

[quote name="BHFAN" post="758064" timestamp="1265826443"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=65677.msg755599#msg755599 date=1265391387]
Track and football

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well if you want to look at it that way then BH has your number in Boys Basketball ;) Which is a sport we are never good in ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]:D :D

Lee will probably finish third in that district.  The winner of the Crosby vs Dayton game will more than likely be the district champ.  I hope these schools that are dropping down to 4A, (Baytown Lee, Humble, Stratford, etc.) take their districts seriously.  The drop to 4A doesn't include an autimatic district championship or a deep playoff run.  They will be challenged, make no mistake about it.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="758118" timestamp="1265833729"]
Lee will probably finish third in that district.  The winner of the Crosby vs Dayton game will more than likely be the district champ.  I hope these schools that are dropping down to 4A, (Baytown Lee, Humble, Stratford, etc.) take their districts seriously.  The drop to 4A doesn't include an autimatic district championship or a deep playoff run.  They will be challenged, make no mistake about it.
[/quote]

A 3rd place finish is not gonna happen. They will be .500 at best.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="758121" timestamp="1265833968"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=65677.msg758118#msg758118 date=1265833729]
[/quote]

A 3rd place finish is not gonna happen. They will be .500 at best.
[/quote]

You're probably right.  They will make the playoffs but only because the pathetic excuse for a playoff system we currently have, allows half the district in.  I don't see Lee getting further the round 2.  Possibly a one and done, depending if they finish third or fourth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats