Lamar adds a WR from Willis

BEAUMONT – Brent Walters, who led Willis High School in receiving and scoring last fall, signed a scholarship agreement with Lamar University Tuesday, increasing the Cardinals’ 2010 spring recruiting class to 17.

A 5-foot-11, 180-pound wide receiver, Walters caught 52 passes for 547 yards and six touchdowns for the Wildkats and kicked four extra points to give him 46 points on the season. His longest reception went for 45 yards.

Walters, who has 4.43 speed in the 40-yard dash, also returned three punts for 105 yards, including a 47-yarder for a touchdown. He had seven kickoff returns for 102 yards with a long of 45 yards.

“Brent is a five-star receiver with breakaway ability in my book,” said Ray Woodard, Lamar’s head coach. “He will make a great addition to our team, and we’re excited he has decided to become a Cardinal.”

Guest coachacola
Wow, I looked him up on espn.com and he was being recruited by Baylor, Iowa State, K-State, Kansas and UH.  His scouts grade is 78 and his position rank is #56 for athletes.  Rivals gives him 3-stars with offers from OK State and Texas A&M.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=83359&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d83359

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texastech/football/recruiting/player-Brent-Walters-84375

This looks to be a big time pickup by LU!!

[quote name="AJ25" post="757573" timestamp="1265755635"]
Wow.. How did they pull this
[/quote]

I was talking to a person who works in the AD that told me that we had a guy who came into visit that was recruited by over half of the Big XII schools, but he just waited to long to accept an offer. This is a great pick up for us.

It's obvious to think that he's a sure fire guy to receive a lot of playing time, but he has to get here and work. He can't show up expecting to walk all over these guys because of the offers he received out of high school. I play baseball with guys that received offers from SLC, Big Ten, and Pac 10 schools, and they're at the bottom of our pitching staff because they don't work.

[quote name="AJ25" post="757830" timestamp="1265777068"]
It's obvious to think that he's a sure fire guy to receive a lot of playing time, but he has to get here and work. He can't show up expecting to walk all over these guys because of the offers he received out of high school. I play baseball with guys that received offers from SLC, Big Ten, and Pac 10 schools, and they're at the bottom of our pitching staff because they don't work.
[/quote]
Excellent point. I know guys that never fulfilled their potential because of that same attitude. Hopefully he comes in with a chip on his shoulder about the whole thing and gets after it for coach Woodard and co.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats