Walls Going Up on Athletic Complex

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Latest webcam snapshot from today:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4346833416_015a82a743.jpg[/img]

So, are they going to put stands up between the field and the athletic complex?  The seating chart has this area marked as sections S101 and S102.  Has anyone asked the athletic department if those are actual seats are just a place to stand?

[quote name="LemonGello" post="758094" timestamp="1265830686"]
Is the seating capacity increasing?  I think Cardinal Stadium holds 14,000 as is.
[/quote]

Seating capicity was 17,500 prior to renovation.   Heard on this board that it will be 16,000 after renovation.  Suppose to lose seating due to ADA changes, but obvoiously no new permanant seating.  If the maximum expansion capicity is 35,000 as has been reported on here, then obviously there are 19,000 additional seats to be added.  I have heard on here that they would extend the sides on the north end of the stadium (Montagne side) and bowl the south end with a small deck on the east side (plant side).  I would think that a maximum capicity of 35k is too small for the long term future of building a FBS program.  But that would be a nice cozy home field.  I would think you would redo the press box and add luxury suites on the west side under that plan.  Think big - be big, think small - be small.

Looks like the rise and run of hill/stands in the south endzone would come up just under the second floor of the athletic complex and then skirt the building on the East and West above it (then above in the middle).  Sort of like the opening in one FIU's stadium endzones.  Might just be like that for future contingency plans.  
http://www.collegegridirons.com/sunbelt/FIUStadium.htm

[quote name="smith" post="758384" timestamp="1265861415"]
Looks like the rise and run of hill/stands in the south endzone would come up just under the second floor of the athletic complex and then skirt the building on the East and West above it (then above in the middle).  Sort of like the opening in one FIU's stadium endzones.  Might just be like that for future contingency plans.  
http://www.collegegridirons.com/sunbelt/FIUStadium.htm
[/quote]

They could do something much like UT has.. And build the stands as high as the athletic complex and leave a tunnel through the middle of them for the players to run through. It would make for one heck of an entrance.

Guest coachacola
I talked to someone today at the ticket office about seating in the south end zone and he told me they are not putting seats there.  That section will be a handicap accessible area.  He then told me they may expand in the stadium in 3 to 5 years and add seating in the end zone at that time.

[quote name="coachacola" post="758425" timestamp="1265863165"]
I talked to someone today at the ticket office about seating in the south end zone and he told me they are not putting seats there.  That section will be a handicap accessible area.  He then told me they may expand in the stadium in 3 to 5 years and add seating in the end zone at that time.
[/quote]

So he knows the same amount as everyone else..

Guest coachacola
I think the BISD's scoreboard cost almost $1 million, so I would think Lamar would spend more than that on their scoreboard.  I also think that LU is spending closer to $15 million on the athletic complex and the rest on the stadium, but I could be wrong.  The turf will cost about $1 million.  Lamar will basically have a brand new stadium when they are done because they've removed almost everything except for the concrete stands.

I think that now looking back, they should not have spent the Hurricane money to restore the press box to its original design but should have included several more million dollars (probably 4 or 5) to signifciantly upgrade it now to  what they want it to be in the future.  Would have really been a show stopper with the athletic complex and other upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coachacola
Looks like most of the walls on the first floor done.  They seem to be reshaping the ground around the complex, maybe they'll be putting down the field turf soon.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4379655092_af4f89dc99.jpg[/img]

If Lamar does build a 50x25 video scoreboard it'll be about the same size as Washington State's scoreboard pictured here:

[img]http://martinstadium.org/gallery/gallery/images/lg_DSCN4408.JPG[/img]

We'll be talking spring training football soon!!

I just went and got the bird's eye from the top of the Montagne's back stairs. I'm really stoked now lol. Just looking out at it imagining that scoreboard up there looking over the field with brand new turf and the new press box ... it's going to be great! Looks like they've been working on the seating too. A lot of dirt work going on on the field and the south endzone.

As for where the players come out UNLV, I can tell you that it looks like they are putting in sidewalks that wrap around the hill side and go down to the playing field on both sides. They both start in the middle of the endzone on top of the hil and end at the field level next to the bleachers on their respective sides.

I took a couple pics on the cell phone but they don't do it justice really. The only thing I'm concerned about now is that everything is going to look new and clean and then there's the dingy Montagne looming overhead. Maybe Neches FCU could donate the money to have that thing pressure washed and mirror glazed!  ;D

If you go here [url=http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/view.gal?id=27943]Cowboy Stadium Turf[/url], you can look at the turf project that went on at McNeese in 2008.  Go to view other galleries to see the beginning of the project.  It took 3 months to complete the turf installation.  It should be in by the summer if they start in March. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coachacola
The athletic complex is coming along nicely.  I'm guessing the video scoreboard will go above all the windows.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4406192255_5d55a65491.jpg[/img]

[quote name="coachacola" post="770581" timestamp="1267725366"]
The athletic complex is coming along nicely.  I'm guessing the video scoreboard will go above all the windows.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4406192255_5d55a65491.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

The scoreboard will need to be high so that installation of bowl seating in the south end zone will not impede the scoreboard view, which begs the question of how the south endzone seating will view the scoreboard when the seating is installed?  I guess just crane the neck.  I hope that Simmons and Tubbs are staying on top of the contractors and their scheduling to ensure completion by September.

I would have never guessed 21 years ago that the declining status of the basketball program would create so much anticipation for the return of the football program.  I check this site regularly looking for football news.

Guest coachacola
To me putting the scoreboard against the Montagne Center makes more sense because they'll never put many seats in that end zone, plus they need to cover some of that building.  They haven't said where the scoreboard so who knows where they'll put it.

The web cam is showing heavy machinery moving dirt around where the field goes so maybe they are getting close to putting turf down.  Once they get the field turf down it's really going to look like a football stadium!

They probably aren't trying to draw any attention to the Montagne. If the scoreboard is over there, more people will be inclined to look at the ugly Montagne Center.

I'm guessing the concrete walk ways circling the playing field will be for the player to walk down and then run out?

[quote name="AJ25" post="770758" timestamp="1267740014"]
They probably aren't trying to draw any attention to the Montagne. If the scoreboard is over there, more people will be inclined to look at the ugly Montagne Center.

I'm guessing the concrete walk ways circling the playing field will be for the player to walk down and then run out?
[/quote]

I think for reasonable costs they could put the scoreboard there and dress up the Montagne Center and the North side of the stadium where is would be pleasing to the eye.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43