LU Wins Game 2 In 17

KFDM COOP

Guest baseball25
lol  maine come on man there not good, there RPI last year was [b] 202[/b], and SOS was [b]284[/b] and played 33 teams that were rank over [b]200[/b], they were [b]8-9[/b] against opponents ranked [b]101-200 [/b] and had 2 lossed against 2 non div 1 teams, so come on now lamar should be blowing this team out. Had 1 win over a top 50 opponent. I mean a great way to start is  texas st. taking a series from HOUSTON.

Baseball25, do you even know the history of Maine baseball? This is traditionally a very good program.
They have been to the CWS 7 times. 1986 being the last time. They finished 2009 32-23.
Funny thing is you hang your hat on a sweep of a UH team that has been the CWS twice, the last time being 1967!!! And what have they done lately? 27-31 last year?

[quote name="badndn" post="763956" timestamp="1266852386"]
Baseball25, do you even know the history of Maine baseball? This is traditionally a very good program.
They have been to the CWS 7 times. 1986 being the last time. They finished 2009 32-23.
Funny thing is you hang your hat on a sweep of a UH team that has been the CWS twice, the last time being 1967!!! And what have they done lately? 27-31 last year?
[/quote]

Okay, and considering Baseball25 was talking about last year.. Let's go back to the record you just pointed out.. 32-23. Now remember, anyone that knows anything knows that NORTHERN baseball typically is much weaker than the south. I'm talking about states like New York, Conn, Penn, Maine, etc... Those states are much more weak, meaning Maine should have no problem running through that conference. They play teams like Hartford, Albany, Stony Brook.. C'mon now. You put U of H up against Maine and they would punish them. Granted, U oh H's record was not good.. Look at their conference. Big difference.

Guest baseball25
lol in 2008 they were 18-28, in 2007 they were 21-30,  a program that has been struggling the last 3 years really bad, lol yeah won 33 games against the Deaf and the blind i mean come on now its a down program that has struggled the last 3 years, Maine or U of H common sense houston is a way harder team to start off in a opener and they are a way better team than Maine. Houston was over 500 in a conference that was top 5 in the nation, Maine conf rank 24 out of 30, deal with it, this series win was like playing Texas southern Pview, Southern, and etc but worse. I mean Houston plays East carolina, Rice, Tulane, southern miss, UAB,Marshall and ETC so you can't even compare Maine with Houston, Maine conf way weaker and the teams they play are WEAK.

Guest baseball25
They were a below Avg team, Penn st sucks, RPI was 131 last yr and there conf was rank 15th, I mean go play Texas, play a game with LSU or tulane, or a weekend series with rajun cajuns, I am tired of all the excuses, there schedule sucks and gilligan just wants a easy schedule to help his career record thats it. Rice is good but needs to be more games like that look at texas st.  3 games with houston, rice, Aggies, western kentucky, baylor, and then rice, texas, Tech, TCU,Baylor, texas,TCU, now thats a non conf schedule my friend. Go look at Sam houston st schedule, go look at UTSA, go look at UTA, LAMAR needs a schedule like that.

[quote name="baseball25" post="763671" timestamp="1266784427"]
lol  maine come on man there not good, there RPI last year was [b] 202[/b], and SOS was [b]284[/b] and played 33 teams that were rank over [b]200[/b], they were [b]8-9[/b] against opponents ranked [b]101-200 [/b] and had 2 lossed against 2 non div 1 teams, so come on now lamar should be blowing this team out. Had 1 win over a top 50 opponent. I mean a great way to start is  texas st. taking a series from HOUSTON.
[/quote]

You are not allowed to post reasonable/factual statement on here unless the fully support the Cardinals.

That said, I think our basketball program could take a few pointers from coach Gilligan and the baseball program.  They are generally a source of pride for LU.

Guest baseball25
when was the last time lamar made it to a regionals in baseball????? i AM JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH..I mean he would bring in better recruits if he played a tougher non conf schedule...

Guest coachacola
[quote name="baseball25" post="764158" timestamp="1266868930"]
when was the last time lamar made it to a regionals in baseball????? i AM JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH..I mean he would bring in better recruits if he played a tougher non conf schedule...
[/quote]

6 years ago in 2004 was the last year LU was in the regionals.  LU played Kansas, #7 Arizona State (and won), La Tech, Arkansas State, #9 Texas A&M, UL-Laf, and Rice.  Gilligan should play a tougher schedule, but if he's not bringing in the talent like he once was then it doesn't matter that much.

I think it's two seperate arguments.  First issue, the scheduling.  The second is the players/team.

When looking at the schedulig then you can point the finger at Gilligan if you don't think it's tough enough, but that's not the players fault.  They can only play who is infront of them. 

As to the players, we don't really know what the Cards have, yet.  With that in mind, maybe you/we all should wait to say 20-25 games into the season before we predict the Cards won't win the SLC or be going to a regional.

Honestly, the SLC has traditionally been a one team league. Yes, I know last year and some other years has been the exception, but traditionally a one team league.  So, making the SLC tournament and winning that tournament has meant more than anything.  Thus, playing your best baseball that weekend is the most important thing.  And as everyone knows, having a great weekend that particular weekend is not assured just because you played a tough schedule or had a good season.  Just get hot at the right time see SHSU last season.

[quote name="time2time" post="764232" timestamp="1266873079"]Just get hot at the right time see SHSU last season.[/quote]

Or the last [b]three[/b] seasons since Mark Johnson is 12-0 in the postseason...or for that matter, Lamar basketball in what was it, 1999?

I really think the SLC is on verge of becoming a two-bid league again. If TXST can carry the flag OOC and if schools like SHSU, UT-Arlington and UTSA can make good with their OOC schedule - we could be talking. SLU's SOS is a bit weak at 141, but they have the potential to get rolling as well and get a top 40, 50 RPI.

No, the season before last (2008) SHSU had a strong team that played well the whole season.  So, it was not as surprising they the Bearkats won the tournament in 2008.

Also, I too hope that the SLC will become a two bid league, but it is not a given.  Whether it's a two bid league will likely depend who wins the tournament.  i.e.  TX ST wins the regulars season (with a great record) but another team wins the tournament, esp. since the #1 never wins the tournament.

And for the record, I think Mark Johnson is one heck of a coach.  Truly a great addition for SHSU.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    risinger62
    Newest Member
    risinger62