Texas football legend named Bridge City Citizen of the Year

KFDM COOP

BC Chamber honors sports hero
Tommy Mann, Jr.
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Steve Worster never knew that playing a game he loved would unite a community and have a lasting impact on so many people. He was reminded of that fact explicitly on Saturday night.

Worster, a star running back for the Bridge City Cardinals state championship team of 1966, was recognized as the Bridge City Chamber of Commerce’s 2009 Citizen of the Year during the 2010 Annual Banquet on Saturday night at Bridge City High School.

Worster, a friendly and very laid back person in public, was very humbled by the distinction bestowed upon him Saturday night.

“I have a lot of difficulty accepting this award,” Worster said from the podium. “I just want to drag all of my old teammates up here with me because what we accomplished we did together.”

The audience was treated to many stories of Worster, his youth and the state championship run in 1965 and championship winning team of 1966 by many well known and respected individuals, such as Glenn Pearson, Bill Godwin and Moe Litton.

Worster, with a big smile on his face, couldn’t help but put in his own little jab at the trio of men who were part of his youth.

“It would have been nice to hear all of these kind words 40 years ago,” Worster said amidst laughter from the crowd.

Before returning to his seat, Worster parted with a heartfelt comment.

“I’ve lived in a lot of different places over the years, and there’s no place like Bridge City,” he said.

Worster was a key cog in the dominant Cardinals championship team of 1966, especially in the state championship game when he romped for four touchdowns and more than 260 yards against McKinney High School at Baylor Stadium.

Not only was Worster a High School All-American while in Bridge City, he went to play football at the University of Texas, under Coach Darrell Royal, and helped the Longhorns and its potent wishbone attack to back-to-back national championships in 1969-1970. He was also a two-time All-American.

In March 2009, only a handful of months after losing his home to Hurricane Ike’s storm surge like so many other Bridge City residents, Worster was named to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Worster still resides in Bridge City and enjoys daily life as a father and grandfather.

Also on Saturday night, Ricky Land was recognized as the 2009 Bridge City Chamber of Commerce’s Ambassador of the Year.

Land, a life-long resident of Bridge City, has spent much of his life helping others. He spent 30 years with the Bridge City Volunteer Fire Department before retiring.

He worked for the Orange County Ambulance Service as a paramedic, and then with Acadian Ambulance Service.

A humble man, Land is always willing to help others whenever possible, which is a key reason he was chosen for this award.

“I don’t feel like I have done any more than anyone else has,” Land said as he accepted his award. “After the storm, we all had to come together. It takes a lot of team work to pull together and do what we did to bring Bridge City back. I’m very glad to be a part of that group.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32